Video Game Difficulties: Too Hard or Too Easy?

Is gaming becoming too easy?

• Total voters

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That game was tough at times. I think I wanted to break my wiimote in the Lanayru mines several times. :angry:

Was that in the part with the volcano? Or the desert? I know I hated that temple in the desert: I hated that more than the volcano, actually. (Can I say one more thing regarding this?) I wish that you could've just slashed through the enemies instead of having to strategize. I know this is part of the classic Zelda games, but there were just some times that I got angry and wanted to decapitate things that move. :hateit:

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
IMO, just ramping up enemy damage doesn't make a game harder, it makes it bullshit.

Couldn't agree more.

I find it terribly enraging when a game's hard mode means you will get killed if I hit you once, instead of twice. There are more ways to add difficulty to a game. Simply overpowering adversaries is stupid and makes the game less enjoyable.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't agree more.

I find it terribly enraging when a game's hard mode means you will get killed if I hit you once, instead of twice. There are more ways to add difficulty to a game. Simply overpowering adversaries is stupid and makes the game less enjoyable.

THere wasn't any reason to add an uber counter on the first stage in Fire Emblem Awakening's Lunatic+.

(although, I think I'm more bitter towards that game because I loaned it to a cousin and he fucking deleted the completed Lunatic+ to make his own shit. :angry:)

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I played that game too! :)
dark_soulss_by_alo81-d6nrmkr.gif

This is why I like Dark Souls.

Dark Souls isn't that hard, I'm up to NG + 11 on one character. That is NG+++++++++++

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
For me it really isn't an issue. While, yes, sometimes I do like a challenge, I'm more concerned about the story and the experience overall. There really is no reward to me for being punished over and over again in the same area. Most folks would have a reaction like "Yeah! Suck it! I'm Awesome!" Me, I'm more like "Good god, thank fuck that's over."

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Why do your think they make cheat code?
Not everyone can play game without frustrating when they fail. I never forget the first time I play Mario, I always end up jump right in to that koppa face.
That just to say it not the game too easy, you guy are just too hardcore, that all.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Why do your think they make cheat code?
Not everyone can play game without frustrating when they fail. I never forget the first time I play Mario, I always end up jump right in to that koppa face.
That just to say it not the game too easy, you guy are just too hardcore, that all.

Mkaaaaaaaaay ._.

Well I still think videogames are indeed getting easier in order to appeal to the casual gamer. After all, ever since the Wii that we know that that's where the big bucks are.

What a shame..

Sychu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have felt this way since the advent of the Wii. I always tell people that mario galaxy would have been my favorite out of the series had it not bored me to death for most of the game with its difficulty level. Easy/Casual games sell far far greater than more traditional cut-throat games but i beleive the key is to always give the player an option in difficulty which many casual games have failed to do.

A buisnesses no.1 priority is always "thier" bottom line and if they can make more $$ by doing things a certain way then it will be done:

Tripping in brawl > >
Casual oriented game system the Wii (I actually am fond of the motion controls for certain titles)
Bullet Magnetism in many FPS games ()
Increased Randomness in mario kart (honestly mario kart DD was the last great mk imo though mkds was awesome too.)
Casual mode in fire emblem (atleast we got to keep normal mode)
Watered down zelda (i stopped playing after twilight princess, tp was such an awesome game but just so glaringly easy and thus bland.)
e.t.c e.t.c. e.t.c.

Now compare the sales of each of those games in comparison to there counter-parts and more likely than not the casual version will have broken records in sales. Of course this is just my hunch i haven't "really" looked into it yet so if im wrong then i'll accept the fact.

Also i find that with this new era of casualness the arcade and indie scenes have also risen to the top on the sidelines with many challenging and unique games so its not like hard difficulty is gone for good. Can't wait to play Mighty No. 9!

EMP Knightmare

Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I can't remember the last time a game challenged me :unsure: It might sound cocky if you will but when you're as old as me things tend to repeat themselves in various forms. Same thing just wrapped differently . . . . . . . . . kinda sucks really :(

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am surprised no-one has mentioned the difficulty of the early 80's arcade games, especially japanese shmups. Or maybe my memory and my reactions are just getting slower in my old age ;) .

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to think that games were harder when I was younger simply because I was younger, but I've gone back and played some of those games, and they were legitimately difficult. Super Empire Strikes Back? Game's still hard to this day on EASY mode. Back in the golden-age, it was an accomplishment to beat a game. These days, it's an inevitability. I love you, Zelda, but I yearn for the days when Navi annoyed you to teach you the mechanics of the game, not solve the puzzles for you and tell you what to do. Only game I can think of relatively recently that I've played and been unable to finish was Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (that final boss on Hard mode is HARD!).

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I wouldn't say games are becoming too easy, but rather that they were previously too difficult. Remember, alot of older games were built around the "succeed through repetition" or "coin eating" philosophy.

Alot of games do start off rather easy, but they get harder as they go along, and in many cases you can still create your own challenge by using the game mechanics.

Look at Super Mario 3D land for example. I felt it was way too easy until I got to the second set of worlds, and boy was that difficult for me at first. Now, for me the game was very easy whenever I had a tanooki tail/suit, since the slow fall was a god-send. If I wanted to ramp up the challenge, I could play through levels with no powerups or stick to non tanooki powerups since I don't do so well otherwise. And my son-in-law who is now 8 years old finds the game difficult anyway, and he has been playing Mario games for a while now. He still has trouble with NSMB on the DS, but he isn't exactly bad at the game or anything.

Even Final Fantasy XIII-2, which I thought was in itself the easiest Final Fantasy game I have played, made it easy for me to control the difficulty curve, as did XIII (although by default it was harder I thought). Since you control your leveling to an extent, you just hold off on boosting your characters. XIII-2 was a fun and occasionally difficult game for me when I leveled sparingly. The bosses offered more challenge, and even the random encounters took a few attacks to take out. I thought it made it more fun, but if I wanted to do a quicker re-play I could just level whenever I had points and breeze through it.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IMO, just ramping up enemy damage doesn't make a game harder, it makes it bullshit.

That's my issue with a lot of games now, especially FPS's. What ever happened to games like goldeneye, where difficulty meant NEW objectives. My idea of a hard difficulty is having harder enemies in conjunction with harder objectives. That's what game devs really need to do.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to think that games were harder when I was younger simply because I was younger, but I've gone back and played some of those games, and they were legitimately difficult. Super Empire Strikes Back? Game's still hard to this day on EASY mode. Back in the golden-age, it was an accomplishment to beat a game. These days, it's an inevitability. I love you, Zelda, but I yearn for the days when Navi annoyed you to teach you the mechanics of the game, not solve the puzzles for you and tell you what to do. Only game I can think of relatively recently that I've played and been unable to finish was Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (that final boss on Hard mode is HARD!).

I need to play this game; I want a good challenge. Kick some tail (now there's something I haven't done in a while.) And I like how you say that the final boss on hard mode is hard. This is so satisfyingly amusing.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've started to come of the opinion that difficulty is mostly psychological. Take Dark Soul and Demon Soul, mostly Dark Soul for me since I only played the latter a few hours, that game was kicking my ass most of the time, normal simple enemies, fuck the bosses. Even after owning the game I year, I still couldn't beat it. However, one day I was at a friend's house and he was playing this game, and the way he played felt soooo much like monster hunter, a game i dominated at. I loaded my game back up and flew through the game, dying only to the crystal dragon really a few times. Once I got over the oh shit I might die and moved on to I'm going to kick you ass, the game was a breeze. Same with the old Ghost and Goblin, I was a bit rusty picking that game up for the first time in over a decade, but I flew through it, and it's dubbed one of the hardest game ever I believe.

Also didn't read thread, drunk, will come back tomorrow.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow this is a complex question that I have never really considered that much. I often will say a game is too easy or too hard and I know on the surface that game balance is one of the tougher issues in game design.

Part of the equation is fun factor, if a game is too hard its not fun and if it's too easy it has no challenge so it's again no fun. Another factor is player skill, sure I can rip through most any game in hours if it's not an RPG (then I enjoy the grind for some odd reason I really enjoy being OP in those cases.) So trying to balance a game for your target audience is also a super hard challenge.

I guess it's like trying to guess what kind of chili people like, some people like a lot of beans some people hate any beans and there are a million different recipes, as long as it's labeled right I guess you can kind of get an idea of what your getting into...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1