Homebrew Vintage Video DS - Play short videos/clips in B&W on your DS(i)

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having been without Moonshell for a while, due to lack of flashcard and/or it's incompatibility on the DSi or 3DS SD card, I decided to make something that contains a short 30 second (or less) video inside a .nds file.
Originally going to be called Vid2NDS, it would contain a video with compressed tile graphics and 16khz sound as a way to keep the .nds file size below 4MB, and having it fully in RAM as a result, but due to the high color count (256, 8bpp) and frame rate of the video (tested with 24fps), having full color 30 second video just wasn't possible. :(
So, I decided to give the app a vintage B&W TV look, with video frames in B&W/Grayscale, lower color count (16, 4bpp) and frame rate (8fps. Had no luck with 15-10fps.), and sound in 8khz, so video is smaller in size as a result.
Due to these changes, I decided to give the app a new name, called Vintage Video DS.

Vintage Video DS is an app where you can watch short 30 second (or less) videos/clips in B&W on your Nintendo DS or DSi, giving the look and feel of watching on an old B&W television, though it may be different with the low frame rate. :P

This may not be the best alternative to Moonshell, but at least it works from the DSi or 3DS' SD card. ;)

A guide on how to convert your videos to B&W ones in .nds format is coming soon (no ETA on when), but for now, try these examples below, or check out the source code!

NOTE: When running in DS mode (on flashcard or Haxxstation), the video may go out of sync during playback. To avoid this issue, run it on the DSi or 3DS' SD card.

Examples

Known bugs
  • Minor artifacts are shown on the image. This is probably from decompressing the image tile graphics.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9omNI5x06fk