Hardware Voltage on Japanese Wii u?

SKGael

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Hello, bought from Japan, a japanese Wii u premium, don't have it now at hands yet.

But when researching I found that ac is 100-240V, but some say it only 100V, will they work with 220V outlets or I need buy transformer? Not familiar with such tech questions

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Japan is a wierd territory, in so far as its mains power can be one or the other depending on what area you live.
In your particular case; firstly I'd wait to see what voltage info is printed on the psu - if you can't use it on your local mains supply the next option would be to buy a Wii U psu for your region (the input voltage to the console from the psu will be the same).

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
The output from the power supply for each region is the same - 15V 5A.
So use the power supply for the your local region - WUP-002 (EUR) - and it will work with your imported console.
This is a better solution than using a transformer.

Attachments

• WUP002JPN.jpg
    WUP002JPN.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 99
  • WUP002EUR.jpg
    WUP002EUR.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 90

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
all wiiu power bricks are region free and supports 110v and 220v

you will just have to use a PLUG to convert to your plug
That's doubtful. 240v AC will blow a 100v AC PSU... dangerously so.
Look at the pics of the two PSU's above; they very specifically state 100v AC input on the Japanese one and 230v AC input on the European one. Neither says "100-220v".

The only thing that's 'region free' (ie, common to all PSU's) is the 15v output to the console.

timtsz

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Look at the pics of the two PSU's above; they very specifically state 100v AC input on the Japanese one and 230v AC input on the European one. Neither says "100-220v".

The only thing that's 'region free' (ie, common to all PSU's) is the 15v output to the console.
I have a Japanese Wii U, the power brick specifically states 100V input, but that's wrong. Apparently, hardware inside the brick supports 220V as well, and mine runs just fine without any problem.

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
In principle, this is known "information":
https://web.archive.org/web/2016123...re-actually-universal-100-250vac-dual-voltage
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-power-adapters-are-region-free.372120/
Such things are always done at your own risk. And preferably with a preliminary checks.
Also you should look not at the mysterious inscriptions on the PCBs (which can be universal), but at the ratings of used components (capacitors, filters, fuses).
There is nothing stopping Nintendo from ordering random batch of power adapters from another manufacturer.
With characteristics corresponding to those on the label. But corresponding strictly this time.

Last edited by r1vver,
Reactions: duwen

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country

just check the insides, i've been handling us, jap and eur wiius since it was released. ALL WII-U power bricks are REGION FREE
regardless what the label says, THIS holds true with PS3 Consoles, which have varying labels but are all 110v to 220v rated
your doubts are out of place, this information is public information and widely available.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, bought from Japan, a japanese Wii u premium, don't have it now at hands yet.

But when researching I found that ac is 100-240V, but some say it only 100V, will they work with 220V outlets or I need buy transformer? Not familiar with such tech questions

On the Japanese charger, the input says 100V, then you need either a step down transformer, or a European charger. Japanese charger work with US region because they fall into the same 100-110V.

bololabich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
100% SAFE! Japanese Wii U and tablet power adapters are EXACTLY the same as european models inside. They work on both 100v and 230v. I've imported at least 30 from Japane so I'm know what i'm saying ;)

Keep in mind it is only the case for official wii U power adapters. Wii power adapters were different for each region.

Since the official power adpaters are kinda poor quality with the isolation failing I often just buy wii u plugs on aliexpress and use generic 15v toshiba laptop power adapters

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Damn cleaned up 348GB's of crap I wasn't using with that lol