Hacking (vWii) - Tri-Core Linux

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theres a test for each card.

fyi if you have a USB lan adapter from your Wii, you can plug that in and get online easily. im having issues getting wifi working

I don't have one of those, but my internet sucks big time in my apartment complex, so I'll have to use Ethernet to get a stable enough connection to download the image. I use the dd program in Windows and formats it to the SD card? Now, to find a wired USB keyboard....think my parents have one they don't use. I know, doesn't help now, but this Saturday, I can just ask them if I can steal it B-) I can definitely help down the road, once I use their connection to download the images (their connection is bloody fast).

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
What would really be helpful is if this was a torrent download, because you wouldn't have to worry about a broken internet connection, and all the strain wouldn't be on Ninja_Carver, at least not after the first person downloads it. I don't know you set that kind of thing up though.

PS: I'm not trying to go off topic, I'm just hoping to find a solution to your hosting problem.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would really be helpful is if this was a torrent download, because you wouldn't have to worry about a broken internet connection, and all the strain wouldn't be on Ninja_Carver, at least not after the first person downloads it. I don't know you set that kind of thing up though.

PS: I'm not trying to go off topic, I'm just hoping to find a solution to your hosting problem.

Torrent might be a good alternative, as I'd be able to resume the download should my wireless network flake out (which is several times a day it seems). That would definitely take the strain off the host.

What say you, ninja_carver?

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not -that- ready for distribution yet. there's uneeded partitions, waste of space... it would be bad to release it at this point. allow me some time to finalize the image

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not -that- ready for distribution yet. there's uneeded partitions, waste of space... it would be bad to release it at this point. allow me some time to finalize the image

All right, take your time. :P I'll be sure to grab that keyboard from my parent's house this Saturday.

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TESTS:

WiiU: System Menu 3.1.0 (latest)
SD :
- 2 GB SanDisk - OK
- SanDisk Ultra 4GB SDHC I (only with 2GB image) - NOT WORKING
- Lexar 4GB SDHC MULTI-USE (only with 2GB image) - NOT WORKING
- KEYBOARD : USB\VID_04D9&PID_1603&REV_0310&MI_00 (flat soft keyboard that works also on real Wii) connected to the front or rear USB ports after executing mike5 app; after keyboard connection the terminal recognize it and I can login.
e7mw.jpg

If I try to connect the keyboard to the rear or front USB port before executing mike5 app from the 2 GB SanDisk SD the screen goes black when I launch mike5 (nothing on screen and the console hangs forever) so I need to launch mike5 before connecting the USB keyboard to the WiiU;

The SD became corrupted if I shut down the console by removing power chord so I need to reflash the image (this happens even If I remove the SD before removing the power chord).

I am not able to download the 4GB image (download hangs after some Mbs, maybe the torrent solution is better...) - anyway with 4GB SD you mean a NON-HC SD card mandatory ?

Can anyone suggest a tool to recover/format the flashed SD card under Windows ? I now have a 256Mb SD card...
EDIT - solved: i removed, with Paragon Partition Manager, the 3rd partition then I was able to reformat the whole SD card using the Windows7 Disk Management Tool.

EDIT2: tried to flash the 1st 2GB image to a Lexar 4GB SDHC MULTI-USE card but it does not work;

EDIT3: tried to flash the 1st 2GB image to a SandDisk Ultra 4GB SDHC I card but it does not work;

here is a pic of the SD card tested:
9dw4.png
krb8.jpg

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can use the windows harddisk partition manager to remove the 256MB partition and other partitions from the sd card.
After that you can recreate a partition the size of the sd card.
Don't worry, your sd sd card card didn't automagically shrink. After placing the image on it, it will have 3 partitions. The first is fat32 and contains some normall wii stuff.
The second is ext2 and can normally only be read by linux.
It contains the linux root filing system the operating system needs to work properly.
You can compare it with the windows folder on your c drive (for a windoze system.)
The third partition is again a fat32. Windows probably doesn't see it because it stops searching for valid partitions when it sees an unknown one.
The 256MB space you see is the size of the first partitions. Formatting a partition wipes that partition clean. It doesn't change the partition size or it's type.
the poweroff command should basically shutdown your linux system. (I have no idea if it works on the wiiu.) reboot is another one you could try.
Pulling the plug on a running system using an sd card as storage is usually a bad idea and can cause corruption of that sd card.

Sd cards fall under 3 categories. Everything up to 2Gig is standard sd. Everything bigger than 2Gig and smaller than 32Gig is normally sdhc.
Everything bigger than 32Gig is normally sdxc (and expensive)

Normal sd cards and micro sd cards with an adapter are considered equal.

Some linux kernels are reported to only work on sd cards smaller than 4Gig. From there the difference between the 2Gig and 4Gig test.
You can use a bigger sd card if you happen to have such lying around since even the 2Gig image is reported to work on 4Gig cards.

Even if the poweroff command makes the system hang, it's worth knowing if using it before pulling the plug helps against sd card corruption.

Bigger sd cards won't have their full size usable, as the image uses a fixed partition size and doesn't care what card size is used.

There is no need to reformat or delete the sd card partitions before you copy a new image to it.
The imaging programs like dd and windiskimager treat the sd cards as just a device with a number of 512 byte sectors that can be written.

!!!!! Those programs also treat the harddisk of your computer as a device with a number of 512 byte sectors that can be written.
Do not copy an image to the wrong drive letter, or you will fubar your computer operating system
The only one responsable for such damage is you. If you are unsure, don't go any further !!!!!!!!!!

The nickname of the dd program is "disk destroy". I hope that explains it.

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your suggestions/advices.

I had to remove the 3rd partition using Paragon Partition Manager in order for Windows disk manager to be able to reformat flashed the SD card, without doing this the Windows tool was not able to reformat it.

I tested 2 SD cards (4GB) with the 2GB image without success.
I make an image copy of the SD card before flashing the linux image so I can restore it in a few minutes (it worked like a charm without dealing with partitions).

If someone can provide a fast link for the 4GB image I can test it.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Fully working on 2gb image: (using logitech k120 keyboard and win32diskimager 0.6 r46)

gyUmo0Z.jpg

The one on the right is really 8GB (mislabeled at factory).
Again I'd love to test the 4GB image but I don't have the default login.
But given that it boots, I'm sure it works too.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Ok, for the 4GB img:
Code:
pny 8GB class 10
Linux 4 Wii Cube(2.6.32.y)        fine
Linux 4 Wii Framebuffer(2.6.32.y) fine
Linux 4 Wii Cube(3.0.y)           slow linux command response, unsynced my wiimote
Linux 4 Wii Framebuffer(3.0.y)    slow linux command response, unsynced my wiimote

sandisk 16GB class 4
Linux 4 Wii Cube(2.6.32.y)        fine
Linux 4 Wii Framebuffer(2.6.32.y) fine
Linux 4 Wii Cube(3.0.y)           unsynced my wiimote
Linux 4 Wii Framebuffer(3.0.y)    unsynced my wiimote

4GB pny --too small

I have a mirror of the 2GB image ready (7zip-890MB):
http://filetrip.net/dl?Iki0PwMOlN

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3jik.png

Linux guy here, from free60 or Xbox 360 Linux development team. Created an entire distro stripped from Debian base comprised of custom kernel and Native XBMC GUI. I have a WiiU here and a 4GB SD as well as modular partitioned 32GB SDHC. Let me know if I could be of some assistance in development and/or debugging & advanced testing.

- lllsondowlll

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, they just have to be big enough to fit the image so 8GB plus should work with both images. I had no problem with my 16GB card.

Good, I have a 2 GB and 16 GB SD card respectively, just need to get a fast and stable connection, so I'll likely use my parent's connection when I go over on Saturday (they get ~30 mbps)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
3jik.png

Linux guy here, from free60 or Xbox 360 Linux development team. Created an entire distro stripped from Debian base comprised of custom kernel and Native XBMC GUI. I have a WiiU here and a 4GB SD as well as modular partitioned 32GB SDHC. Let me know if I could be of some assistance in development and/or debugging & advanced testing.

- lllsondowlll
The answer would be a resounding yes.

Any help is welcome, no mater how small, and you sound like you have QUITE a bit of experience ... so much, much more so.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The answer would be a resounding yes.

Any help is welcome, no mater how small, and you sound like you have QUITE a bit of experience so much, much better.

Alright will do, It is noon here so by Central standard time I will be free around say 5PM-6PM do you have any form of direct communication for coordination i.e. IRC channel?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: 80s are the new 20s. +1