Warm Pizza

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tonight, I was in Kensington picking up pizza for a poker game at my friend’s house. As I was walking down the street, I saw a homeless man tucked off into a corner, wearing a Santa hat and visibly shaking from the cold. He had his head down, and everyone who walked by seemed to not notice him.

I walked past him, and as I did, I felt a surge of guilt. I didn’t have any change for him, and there really wasn’t anything I could do.

While I was waiting for the pizza, I was feeling pretty bad. Why am I able to come into a warm store, swipe a piece of plastic, and leave with two huge pizzas, while this man has to freeze in the weather outside? What makes me so different? I know the answers, but they aren’t fair. In the end, all it should really come down to is he is a human, and so am I. I wish the world could work that way, but we all know it can’t.

On my way back to my car, I stopped by the man. I asked him if he wanted some pizza, and he lifted his head and told me in a very quiet voice “Sure”. As I was opening the box, I told him about how I wish I had some change for him, and that I really wish I could do better for him than just a slice of pizza. I sincerely meant it, but I’m not entirely sure if he heard me.

As I handed him his slice, I told him to be careful with it, because it had just come out of the oven. As soon as he had it, he tried to take a bite, but pulled it away from his face, and he laughed and said “It’s too hot!” I told him again to be careful with the pizza, and that I had to go. I wished him a Merry Christmas, and he gave me a smile.

I was glad that I was able to put a smile on his face, but the fact that warm food made him so giddy also made me depressed. Warm food, something so many of us take for granted was the highlight of this man’s day. Again, I felt it wasn’t fair for him. He shouldn’t have to suffer like that. I wish there was more I could have done.

I don’t feel good about myself for doing something nice for him, it actually made me feel worse. I didn’t do enough for him. He deserves better than living on the street. No one deserves to live on the street. I wish there was something more I could do.

I have a few ideas, like buying a bunch of blankets or hand warmers and handing them out or something. Maybe I will do that on one of my days off this week. It wont bring me any personal satisfaction, but I will be glad that I am making at least a tiny difference in someone’s life.

You know what? It’s settled, I’m going to go do it. Anyone want to come with?

*this is taken from my real blog, jacobsewell.wordpress.com which is why there are things that might not make sense to you, such as me being in Kensington and asking if you want to come along*

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Whilst I would love to go with you, there is an ocean in the way (and the area I live in doesn't have a high homeless population so there isn't much I can do)

However, if you were to set up a donation fund to help buy warm clothing and food for them, I would be more than happy to give you $10.

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
how nice of you :'(
well, its better if you let him stay at your house; doing the housework for you (he will get food, place to live, etc)

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pizza is pretty fantastic.

Anyone who gives out free pizza deserves a thumbs up!
yay.gif

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
All I can say is good on ya, no matter what, there is one fact that stands, you made a poor man feel a bit better and that's what counts.

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Law said:
Whilst I would love to go with you, there is an ocean in the way (and the area I live in doesn't have a high homeless population so there isn't much I can do)

However, if you were to set up a donation fund to help buy warm clothing and food for them, I would be more than happy to give you $10.

Hmmmmm... this may not be a bad idea. I really like that suggestion. I doubt I would get much, but maybe I'll look into it.

QUOTE(azure0wind @ Dec 19 2010, 12:22 AM) how nice of you :'(
well, its better if you let him stay at your house; doing the housework for you (he will get food, place to live, etc)

That's kind of an unreasonable idea. While I would love to just assume any stranger I let into my house is 100% trustworthy and safe, I can't, it's not the way the world works.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's nice to see that there are still nice people out in the world today. Sure, there's plenty of people willing to be "nice", but how many would go as far as to do what you did? Make a sacrifice (even if it is small) to give away to the less fortunate. I wouldn't mind actually giving you some money, if anything were to happen. Of course, I'm not made of money and can't really do all that much, but I can at least donate 25 bucks or so.

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You did that man more harm then good!!! You burned his freakin tongue, how could you be so cold so shallow and harm this poor man in the cold!!!! You have a good heart
wink.gif
the world needs more people like you. I hate when I burn my tongue on hot food, it don't feel right for a whole day.

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
science said:
Law said:

Hmmmmm... this may not be a bad idea. I really like that suggestion. I doubt I would get much, but maybe I'll look into it.

QUOTE(azure0wind @ Dec 19 2010, 12:22 AM) how nice of you :'(

That's kind of an unreasonable idea. While I would love to just assume any stranger I let into my house is 100% trustworthy and safe, I can't, it's not the way the world works.
oh yea, sorry
tongue.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, great job.
I'm surprised that no one else stopped to do anything, he's a human and he deserves to have a bit of compassion thrown his way every so often.

You've inspired me to think more about people who are less fortunate than myself, once I get off my ass and get a job, I may be able to do more than that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay