• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 70,941
  • Replies 297
  • Likes 13
D

Deleted-442439

OP
Wow, Nintendo are upping their game! Just blocked updates.

Hopefully this will speed up 4.X development? My understanding is that TrustZoneHax is working on 4.x, but that it is currently private? Not much point in keeping them private if deja vu is mitigated further?

Last edited by ,

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, with 5.0.0 out, anyone on 3.0.0 homebrew willing to create a program to circumvent the "update block?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Does the Switch have background updating? Mine is at home, not turned on but possibly in sleep mode.

DarkenSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now the real question is how long till we see the exploit for 4.x.x seeing as the exploit is likely patched. im hoping before summer or maybe for easter would be nice.

D

Deleted-442439

OP
Exactly! They already have it working, and since deja vu is changed again there would be no reason to hold back the exploit? (perhaps somone in the scene can bestow their knowledge upon us)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly! They already have it working, and since deja vu is changed again there would be no reason to hold back the exploit? (perhaps somone in the scene can bestow their knowledge upon us)
It's not "clean" for the end user yet, as far as I'mm aware. Plus, we don't know that Deja Vu has been totally patched, we just know that the firmware has been hardened against it

Fluffball

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's not all. There's also a reference to a new Switch model that will fix the hardware exploit.

Well that's game over for TeamX,they have gone from potentially making millions to now loosing money in developing whatever they had,i suppose they could still launch it but it's going to have limited appeal when it's now only going to work on the same switches that will also be able to run cfw.

I think this is a first for Nintendo to combat exploits via silicon?

plushifoxed

I wanna talk more about kawaii stuff!
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
Okay. I understood what TrustZone, E-fuses, and the other various encryption methods are... but what the hell is KASLR
Kernel Address Space Layout Randomization. Basically exactly what it sounds like; the memory sections used by the system kernel are intentionally moved around in a way that is known to the kernel software, but (ideally) unknown to lower-level software, or to an outside attacker. It's designed such that even if an attacker knows about a vulnerability in the kernel, they shouldn't be able to exploit it, because they don't know where the vulnerable spot is anymore.

Reactions: nWo

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Kernel Address Space Layout Randomization. Basically exactly what it sounds like; the memory sections used by the system kernel are intentionally moved around in a way that is known to the kernel software, but (ideally) unknown to lower-level software, or to an outside attacker. It's designed such that even if an attacker knows about a vulnerability in the kernel, they shouldn't be able to exploit it, because they don't know where the vulnerable spot is anymore.
Didn't they try this with the 3DS? It sounds rather familiar...

Just remember folks, Nintendo may be keeping an eye out for unauthorized software an usage in the near future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1