RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I make video games....
And I hack....
Do you understand the dilemma?
I use hack to launch games without having to buy them, that's all.
I'm not doing this to play, I'm doing this to open my mind and get inspired by what other Indy studios are doing.
I don't deny the fact that I hack, just that some people don't do it for the same reason, for nintendo it's the same, but not for me, I don't hack for the trophies of the best hacker.

Relax guys, right away jumped on people as soon as he minimizes the fact of piracy, I've always been, so what? I don't see the problem, just that I'm creating something behind this piracy, I'm inspired, I don't have my ass on my couch eating popcorn with the switch in my hand, explaining to my colleagues, "you've seen all the games I've hacked, with that I should have a medal"
We don't do it for the same reasons, whether you like it or not.
Metaphore
I am a painter, I want to be inspired by the Mona Lisa, either I go to Paris, or I buy it?? or I download a copy "google image" it is my point of view, a painter who has no money does not have the right to be inspired by other works? In video games it's more difficult, a painting has no efuse, no firmware, no protection, and so on.

By the way, if all the games had demos I wouldn't even need to hack anymore, just the homebrew emulator, it's amazing that in 2018 all the games don't have a demo, it's lighter to download than the full game.
I'm sure it would limit piracy, and also allows you to make a purchase if the demo suits you.

You'd make a good politician, lots of words to say absolutely nothing. You still paid to pirate and that's really stupid, regardless of whatever "inspired" purpose you have in mind. Even worse, you're trying to justify pirating games by saying you're making games, which makes no sense whatsoever.
Well, you know what they say; a fool and his money are soon parted. Congratulations on funding devs who are known to steal code and also try to bribe open source developers for project exclusivity!

Chizko

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
What i understood in the past 3ds scene is this isn't changing, how some one fight for the "best" cfw? and literally kill other project because they like the dev and that why his work is better and the only one, now with the Switch scene is a hypocrisy of "white knights" of "legality" and "ethics".........and of course bullshit without proof, only "i understand this and is a fact because..."

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They're not saying piracy is bad; they're saying you're foolish for paying to do it when you can do it for free.
As a favourite album title once read "give me convenience or give me death" and it is rather recently at time of writing that the free community has come even close to matching the convenience of the TX efforts (which appeared in June, it being October now) from where I sit.
If the free set fancy releasing one supporting all the ROM formats from the relevant storage sections, emunand, possibly some means of ban mitigation if not, provide easy options to update firmwares, provide easy options to install game/title updates, sort out nice features like cheat making, save management, NAND backups... look at other hacked devices and emulators and pick whatever features are viable to finish the list then please do. Such a thing would handily mop the floor with TX's efforts.

Reactions: Meepers55

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What i understood in the past 3ds scene is this isn't changing, how some one fight for the "best" cfw? and literally kill other project because they like the dev and that why his work is better and the only one, now with the Switch scene is a hypocrisy of "white knights" of "legality" and "ethics".........and of course bullshit without proof, only "i understand this and is a fact because..."

"Bullshit without proof" right

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You'd make a good politician, lots of words to say absolutely nothing. You still paid to pirate and that's really stupid, regardless of whatever "inspired" purpose you have in mind. Even worse, you're trying to justify pirating games by saying you're making games, which makes no sense whatsoever.
Well, you know what they say; a fool and his money are soon parted. Congratulations on funding devs who are known to steal code and also try to bribe open source developers for project exclusivity!
There's nothing serious here, I agree with myself, everyone pirate the way they want, I don't do morale, I'm not even interested in justifying myself, since I claim to be a pirate, so what's the problem with that?
You don't understand my way of looking at things, people are eating popcorn on the couch, waiting for the last game soon to download to their pc
And others are interested in the world of video games point to line, apart from saying you're a pirate blah blah blah blah, everyone here knows it, gba forum is what?
I hacked into my switch, so what? Does that mean I must have the same reason to do it as you? Well, no, when I see some who tell me that I'm crazy to have paid for a dongle sxos, I answer that it redeems me a conscience, it's my life, my opinion, and you have a stupid reason, because at no time did I say that I wasn't hacking, I said that we didn't have the same reason.
I repeat I have already said here that I play retrogaming 98% of the time, so these are already games that have been more used for 20 years...
My switch has 4 months, and 20 hours of play, so do you understand the difference? Between launch in game 2 min, to see the asset graphics, see the animation, appreciate the engine optimization etc....
While others eat popcorn, have hacked into their switch and have 1000 hours of gameplay that they haven't bought legally, if you don't see any difference, it's because you're stupid, like those who make the law, it could be called an Attenuating circumstance in the law, as I say it's stupid, like your reasoning

Last edited by KHEOPS,

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
don't do morale, I'm not even interested in justifying myself

Except you did...SEVERAL TIMES by now. When you talk about conscience? How paying for the SX somehow makes it good that you pirate? Yeah that's appealing to morals. When you say that you pirate so you can inspire yourself because you make games(Something that makes ZERO sense)? That's JUSTIFYING yourself

Last edited by Ashura66,
Reactions: DeoNaught

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When you say that you pirate so you can inspire yourself because you make gems(Something that makes ZERO sense)?
I assume that was supposed to say games.
Anyway every author I have ever met has piles of books in their houses, every musician I have ever met has listened to any number of things, every film maker I have ever met has watched thousands of video efforts, every mechanically capable person I have ever met has (or occasionally had) a workshop full of scrap in which to fiddle, [repeat for every skill or trade where someone might be expected to solve a problem or create something new]. I fail to see how something similar would not apply to games, and this would seem to be a way of minimising the cost and maximising the convenience.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Anyway every author I have ever met has piles of books in their houses, every musician I have ever met has listened to any number of things, every film maker I have ever met has watched thousands of video efforts, every mechanically capable person I have ever met has (or occasionally had) a workshop full of scrap in which to fiddle, [repeat for every skill or trade where someone might be expected to solve a problem or create something new]. I fail to see how something similar would not apply to games, and this would seem to be a way of minimising the cost and maximising the convenience.

I fully agree with you, my friends have a big art library ,architecture, but what do I do in video games? I buy all the consoles and games? That's why I said that if all switch games had demos,well I wouldn't have hacked the switch for that, just forced to launch homebrew emulators, but that reason is bad too? Homebrews?........

kkcheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
We need to pay r4cart to pirate. Its norm since the beginning of time. So don't be shocked if people pay SXOS to pirate.

And it's conscience. Not conscious. Please brush up English.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yeah i remember reading a v/vg thread where they talked about something like that
Must have missed that. The only other CFW i remember being talked about was being developed by some guy on Twitter, i forget exactly who it was but it was a LONG time ago

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Let me ask you this then: Did those authors steal the books? Did those musicians illegally downloaded the songs they listened to? Did those filmmakers steal the films they watched? Did those mechanics steal the scrap that they work with? There is a difference between being exposed to something in order to brush up or improve one skills and stealing the material you work with. When you try to use "inspiration" or "improving one's skills" as a justification for pirating, which is in essence, stealing,that justification falls flat because you committed a crime. And there is no justification possible for it. Besides, i pointed that out(and yes i did mean to type games, not gems) as a counter to KHEOPS saying " I'm not even interested in justifying myself". They say that, yet they did justify themselves not one or two comments before

We need to pay r4cart to pirate. Its norm since the beginning of time. So don't be shocked if people pay SXOS to pirate.

And it's conscience. Not conscious. Please brush up English.

Except you don't since the free CFW are vastly superior. And look at here the Gateway team is now, they have been vastly overshadowed and surpassed by the Luma3DS team. You don't NEED to pay for anything, you just need to be patient. And just because it's the norm it doesn't mean it's immutable or not affected by change. Times change, everything changes

kkcheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Except you don't since the free CFW are vastly superior. And look at here the Gateway team is now, they have been vastly overshadowed and surpassed by the Luma3DS team. You don't NEED to pay for anything, you just need to be patient. And just because it's the norm it doesn't mean it's immutable or not affected by change. Times change, everything changes
I don't think I have patience. I want to pirate with ease and I want it now. Currently the easiest for newbie like me is SXOS. Furthermore Switch new version is coming soon. When new Switch is here, I probably no longer interested in my old Switch. So I rather do everything now than wait.

And when you said time changes, yes they do. Nowadays we want everything quick.

May I know you're from which country?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't think I have patience. I want to pirate with ease and I want it now. Currently the easiest for newbie like me is SXOS. Furthermore Switch new version is coming soon. When new Switch is here, I probably no longer interested in my old Switch. So I rather do everything now than wait.

And when you said time changes, yes they do. Nowadays we want everything quick.

May I know you're from which country?

By "new Switch" i assume you're talking about the Mariko units right? As in the ones that will no longer let you access RCM, thus actually run CFW? Why would those interest you more than the old ones which you can actually hack? Also, people talk a lot how SX OS has ease of use and all that, yet here i am using ReiNX and all i need is a jig and a USB cable, nothing more, nothing less. Couldn't be any easier

"Nowadays we want everything quick." Actually that hasn't changed, that's always been that way, to the point of people preferring to use broken, borderline non functional shit than waiting for something more stable

"May I know you're from which country" Look at my profile, the answer is there

Last edited by Ashura66,

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Let me ask you this then: Did those authors steal the books? Did those musicians illegally downloaded the songs they listened to? Did those filmmakers steal the films they watched? Did those mechanics steal the scrap that they work with? There is a difference between being exposed to something in order to brush up or improve one skills and stealing the material you work with. When you try to use "inspiration" or "improving one's skills" as a justification for pirating, which is in essence, stealing,that justification falls flat because you committed a crime. And there is no justification possible for it. Besides, i pointed that out(and yes i did mean to type games, not gems) as a counter to KHEOPS saying " I'm not even interested in justifying myself". They say that, yet they did justify themselves not one or two comments before

It's safe when you don't belong to the community you're talking about...
Ex lez musicians have they stolen the music, of course not, go to a music recording studio, we give you some or free copies of the demos, and this before the release of the album
Or the cinema? Are you in the film business to find out how it works? Steven spielberg buys movies? Don't make me laugh.... When you're rich or known that's not the problem, but it's when you get there that's difficult, the musicians before you get to know them if they're poor and well we used to exchange audio tapes at the time. A lot of bands did that, it's logical when you're in a field to have the maximum number of sources, then once you are known and rich you can buy so many consoles or video games, if you don't understand this logic, it's because you don't live in this society, or that you don't frequent many other environments than yours, and I doubt very much that you are an artist, that's for sure... In life there is theory and PRACTICE, and it is with a flourishing social life that we understand what is happening behind this or that thing, and to understand why a person hacks his switch, when he is an independent video game developer, that he does not earn enough money yet..... But that he needs to see what others are doing, that's how it works, I worked at ubi soft, and believe me, we were playing a gear of war 2 months before it was released in store, and do you think he bought this game copy? Before it was sold? Ubisoft has nothing to do with epic games, that's not theory.

Last edited by KHEOPS,

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
By "new Switch" i assume you're talking about the Mariko units right? As in the ones that will no longer let you access RCM, thus actually run CFW? Why would those interest you more than the old ones which you can actually hack? Also, people talk a lot how SX OS has ease of use and all that, yet here i am using ReiNX and all i need is a jig and a USB cable, nothing more, nothing less. Couldn't be any easier

"Nowadays we want everything quick." Actually that hasn't changed, that's always been that way, to the point of people preferring to use broken, borderline non functional shit than waiting for something more stable

"May I know you're from which country" Look at my profile, the answer is there

You can made it more easy, just autoRCM and injector :)

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's safe when you don't belong to the community you're talking about...
Ex lez musicians have they stolen the music, of course not, go to a music recording studio, we give you some or free copies of the demos, and this before the release of the album
Or the cinema? Are you in the film business to find out how it works? Steven spielberg buys movies? Don't make me laugh.... When you're rich or known that's not the problem, but it's when you get there that's difficult, the musicians before you get to know them if they're poor and well we used to exchange audio tapes at the time. A lot of bands did that, it's logical when you're in a field to have the maximum number of sources, then once you are known and rich you can buy so many consoles or video games, if you don't understand this logic, it's because you don't live in this society, or that you don't frequent many other environments than yours, and I doubt very much that you are an artist, that's for sure... In life there is theory and PRACTICE, and it is with a flourishing social life that we understand what is happening behind this or that thing, and to understand why a person hacks his switch, when he is an independent video game developer, that he does not earn enough money yet..... But that he needs to see what others are doing, that's how it works, I worked at ubi soft, and believe me, we were playing a gear of war 2 months before it was released in store, and do you think he bought this game copy? Before it was sold? Ubisoft has nothing to do with epic games, that's not theory.

I'm not an artist, nor did i ever say i was. However there's this little thing called common sense. And common sense dictated that there is no possible justification for a crime. You pirate, you're committing a crime. it doesn't matter what it's for, even if it is to brush up on your skills or whatever, it's still a crime. And i very much DOUBT that filmmakers or musicians do it when there are SO MANY WAYS that they can be exposed to their medium without resorting to committing a crime. And it's the same thing with videogames, you do NOT need to pirate to be exposed to them, to see what the other companies are doing. There's Youtube, there's gaming magazines, there are tons of ways you can be exposed to other company's works without needing to pirate. Your justification is falling flat more and more each time you repeat it
And yet again you're trying to justify yourself when you already said you weren't interested in it, so which is it? And i very much doubt that
a)you worked for ubisoft
b)anyone working for a professional game publisher would be allowed to pirate games unless they do it at home, on their own free time and not in the company's offices. Ubisoft may be scum but i HIGHLY doubt they would stoop that low as to allow piracy. Especially seeing how anti piracy they are

You can made it more easy, just autoRCM and injector :)

Or auto RCM and a smartphone, also a viable portable solution.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Between ebook readers, video streaming sites, torrents and similar, abuse of scrap bins and work resources... yes to all of those. Not in every case but it is common enough. Even when not doing that the things done to minimise the costs of continuing professional development are substantial. While I hate the anti renting, libraries, sharing and second hand rhetoric game devs/pubs go in for... yeah.

Similarly there is a line of thought that would say education, critique or review dodges various IP concerns. More abstract but still worth pondering from where I sit is *boots game* "so that is how they do their background scrolling algorithm" *deletes/proceeds to ignore game*. Now the derivation of enjoyment or use of an item is in the eyes of the beholder but if developer intentions count for anything, to say nothing of the "amount" arguments elsewhere in IP...
More abstract still -- many times when helping someone hack a game I will search for a long form video of the game or section thereof in question. What the person in question may gain from a few minutes of play I may gain from that video (usually to a lesser extent and I will often want to have some control as it will allow me to tell things quicker but still in a reasonable enough timeframe that I don't care).

If such things don't work for you then so be it, I see scope for a debate though.

Similarly I read the eventual justification part as "you pressed me so I might as well".

Reactions: KHEOPS

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Between ebook readers, video streaming sites, torrents and similar, abuse of scrap bins and work resources... yes to all of those. Not in every case but it is common enough. Even when not doing that the things done to minimise the costs of continuing professional development are substantial. While I hate the anti renting, libraries, sharing and second hand rhetoric game devs/pubs go in for... yeah.

Similarly there is a line of thought that would say education, critique or review dodges various IP concerns. More abstract but still worth pondering from where I sit is *boots game* "so that is how they do their background scrolling algorithm" *deletes/proceeds to ignore game*. Now the derivation of enjoyment or use of an item is in the eyes of the beholder but if developer intentions count for anything, to say nothing of the "amount" arguments elsewhere in IP...
More abstract still -- many times when helping someone hack a game I will search for a long form video of the game or section thereof in question. What the person in question may gain from a few minutes of play I may gain from that video (usually to a lesser extent and I will often want to have some control as it will allow me to tell things quicker but still in a reasonable enough timeframe that I don't care).

If such things don't work for you then so be it, I see scope for a debate though.

Similarly I read the eventual justification part as "you pressed me so I might as well".

I'd argue that there are many, MANY other ways to be exposed to the media without the need of committing a crime. Ebook Readers aren't INHERENTLY piracy or criminal in nature so i really wouldn't count those. For musicians there's the radio for example which isn't a crime and still exposes them to the media. I mean sure you CAN go trough the piracy route but you don't HAVE to, as there are ways that are just as easy to use and don't break any laws(Or at least YOU don't break any laws by using them but going into the issue of fair use is another kettle of fish altogether). Besides, what KHEOPS is trying to say, or at least how it's coming across, is that they HAVE to pirate so that they can know what other companies are doing and to be exposed to the media when that couldn't be any further from the truth as there are many, MANY ways to get that information without pirating

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Don't ask how I know that's in the works lol