Hardware We want a response...NOW!

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Commercial modchips will only continue to release new firmwares if they can make money.
That's why I went open source, I now have YAOSM on my chip. Bell (the programmer) is not in it for the money.
And it's great you can discuss with him directly on the yaosm forum. You can test new beta firmwares, report problems, suggest improvements.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Don't be so angry. You got a good modchip for 20-30€ or so and then you probably downloaded few hundred games.
And now you're angry because you can't play one retail game? gz.

Buy the game, backup it. Play the backup.
Get new modchip which will be just another 1-20€ or so.
Or
Just make on/off which to wiikey // remove wiikey and buy your games.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
coolbho3000 said:
Only way is to boycott the D2Pro and D2CKey until an update arrives.

Can see you've really thought that through. I can just see it now , everyone who has a d2c , boycotting the chips that will work for them , so that one that will never work for them gets an update.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
D2CKey and pro have nothing to do with wiikey.

They said if they had the source code they would work on it but they don't.

and to the idea that open source chips are crap, how ridiculous. YAOSM is the most author suported chip and one of the best chips period. Wiikey isn't open source and look how it's turned out.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
arctic_flame said:
jalaneme said:
plus open source of any format is crap to say the least, i wouldn't be any better off.

I can't find anything right with that statement, typing from Linux, with OpenWii being the first modchip to support SMG, and YAOSM, the best PIC-based modchip there is.

do you really think the average gamer is a hacking genius and instantly understands how to make source code for this modchip and how to program? i don't think so at all, plus linux is not the slightest noob friendly is it? thats the last thing i would want to be messing around with, i just want a modchip that works and does what it needs to do, not a dam expert programmer modchip thing.

Don't trash talk open source, okay?

QUOTE(Armadillo @ Mar 16 2008, 05:26 PM) QUOTE(coolbho3000 @ Mar 16 2008, 08:45 PM)
Only way is to boycott the D2Pro and D2CKey until an update arrives.

Can see you've really thought that through. I can just see it now , everyone who has a d2c , boycotting the chips that will work for them , so that one that will never work for them gets an update.
If Wiikey gets horrible support, and the team also makes the D2Pro, then how much support do you think the D2Pro will get?

Wasabi seems to be better anyway.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
jalaneme said:
plus open source of any format is crap to say the least, i wouldn't be any better off.

I can't find anything right with that statement, typing from Linux, with OpenWii being the first modchip to support SMG, and YAOSM, the best PIC-based modchip there is.

wait....wasnt cyclowiz the first (apart frm the d2c chip) to support SMG?

link459

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I never understood why people are bitching about this...

BACK UP YOUR COPY, AND PLAY THAT.

Problem solved. Seriously, you have a Wiikey; it's what it's for.

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country
Renegade_R said:
link459 said:
I never understood why people are bitching about this...

BACK UP YOUR COPY, AND PLAY THAT.

Problem solved. Seriously, you have a Wiikey; it's what it's for.
That's what I did...I'm a very happy Brawler.

I don't know, maybe we should still boycott the Wiikey Team, even though there product works just fine.

bosscolor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
WIINJA TEAM are also fuckers...

I hate them

Remember when SMG was out , they didn't say a word for about 3 weeks and they banned some angry users on the forum...

No upgrade since November 2007
blink.gif

The only serious team seems to be Cyclowiz

sid0101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arctic_flame said:
OpenWii, for the third time in this very thread.
Also, YAOSM.
Okay, sounds good.
But, while I did some preliminary searches I didn't find whether openwii or YAOSM supported the retail version of SSBB.

It is good to know that open source coding is out there that can work with the wiikey. Hopefully, it's better than the actual source on the wiikey.

Does anyone have any info about how they perform when it concerns SMG and SSBB?

captain^k

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
sid0101 said:
Okay, sounds good.
But, while I did some preliminary searches I didn't find whether openwii or YAOSM supported the retail version of SSBB.

It is good to know that open source coding is out there that can work with the wiikey. Hopefully, it's better than the actual source on the wiikey.

yaosm ftw!

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6627

Grab yourself a serial JDM programmer, some 12F683 chips and a socket and you're set
biggrin.gif

QUOTEBell has released the final version of Yet Another Open Source Modchip for the Nintendo Wii. Using the HEX code you can program your own drive based modification chips as long as you have a programmer and PIC chip required to get the task done.

What's New?

* Better Dual Layer support. Supports SSBB on DVD+DL and DVD-DL with or without DVD-ROM booktype as long as your Wii can read the media.
* DVD upgradability. Proof of concept upgrade available on config disc.
* Config disc can now be used without a GC controller. Press resetbutton once to enter yaosm configuration program. Then hold to move the "cursor" and press quickly to change a setting.
* Recovery feature if an upgrade fails.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
arctic_flame said:
jalaneme said:

do you really think the average gamer is a hacking genius and instantly understands how to make source code for this modchip and how to program? i don't think so at all, plus linux is not the slightest noob friendly is it? thats the last thing i would want to be messing around with, i just want a modchip that works and does what it needs to do, not a dam expert programmer modchip thing.

jalaneme, you may not have noticed but the mod chip scene isn't designed or intended to be conducive to the "average gamer".

Mod chips are for the big boys. If you don't have the technical skills you aren't in a position to complain; you shouldn't be getting involved.

Also it's not too hard to learn these things. The information is all free and available at your local search engine. The fact that you are complaining about needing to do some research just shows your lack of dedication. You basically want everything free for no work, huh?

Also don't express your technical incompetence while trash talking open source. You're not making yourself look good.
wink2.gif

sid0101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
captain^k said:
sid0101 said:
Okay, sounds good.

yaosm ftw!

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6627

Grab yourself a serial JDM programmer, some 12F683 chips and a socket and you're set
biggrin.gif

QUOTEBell has released the final version of Yet Another Open Source Modchip for the Nintendo Wii. Using the HEX code you can program your own drive based modification chips as long as you have a programmer and PIC chip required to get the task done.

What's New?

* Better Dual Layer support. Supports SSBB on DVD+DL and DVD-DL with or without DVD-ROM booktype as long as your Wii can read the media.
* DVD upgradability. Proof of concept upgrade available on config disc.
* Config disc can now be used without a GC controller. Press resetbutton once to enter yaosm configuration program. Then hold to move the "cursor" and press quickly to change a setting.
* Recovery feature if an upgrade fails.

Yeh, I got all that info already.
But, I was really look for two things:
1. A guide on how to convert YAOSM onto a Wiikey. (I could probably google that later).
2. Whether or not the retail version of SSBB work. This is the real question.

(FYI: I already have a single layer US SSBB working. And pretty sure if I went out to buy Verbatim DL I could get the DL SSBB working too. BUT, what I really want is the retail version to work. I know, some you may think its weird, but it is just a quirk that I have. I guess you can call it some sorta OCD.)

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I read the first post then went straight to my reply, so sorry if someone has already said this, but...

You expect support from a bunch of people that profit from piracy? (probably a nice profit at that)
Ethics or 'what you deserve/want' do not come into the equation here - good support is a nice bonus, nothing more. Their main concern is making money.

This kind of thing is an inherent risk when dealing with modifications, piracy, etc. If that's something you can't understand, then you shouldn't be delving into it, it's that simple.

shadoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Good luck getting any response from them. I posted a similar (though more toned-down) open letter to the team responsible for the Wiikey on their "official" forum at Wiinewz before the site got wiped out. The only response I got was Wiikey fanboys/zealots coming out and saying we should be thankful for what we have.

I am no doubt thankful for the fact that the Wiikey works so far. I am just totally disheartened that they lack customer support, to the point of not even bothering to re-up their website anymore. I'm just waiting for a game that I want to play to not work on their 1.9g firmware anymore. If they don't release an update, then it's time to hop to another modchip, with better support (YAOSM seems the best choice now...)

Slab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with the TC. We'd all appreciate some sort of response from the wiikey team over this silence. They're a bunch of selfish arseholes IMO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbSORc_3_Yw