Weekend Discussion: What would you do if games only released in a digital format?

physicalgaem4eva.png

Chances are, if you're a fan of video games, you've more than likely gone to a store to pick up the latest hot fall game release. If not, then you likely have purchased a game online and had it shipped to your door. From the older cardboard boxes housing bulky game carts, to the plastic cases that hold thin game discs, we've seen multiple forms of video games throughout the years. While the form of its delivery has changed, what hasn't changed is the fact that if you want to play a game, you need to get a cart or disc.

That is, unless you buy digitally.

The advent of digital games has changed the entire industry. The previous console gaming generation introduced the idea of being able to download older retro titles, or even smaller indie-developed games by simply connecting to the internet and paying through a digital storefront. Shortly after that, we began to see fully fledged major releases on both Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, and later, the Nintendo eShop. During those years, there was a heavy push for being able to have your library of games be playable without even getting up to change the disc. Not everyone was willing to take that step, however, with a large portion of players preferring their beloved boxes. PC gamers might be more at-home with being invested in a digital only library--they're familiar with forgoing physical releases. If you play only on a computer, there's a chance that you may not even own a single hard copy of a game.

To counter the rise of the "digital age", many people were outspoken about only supporting physical releases. This led to small publishers like Limited Run Games becoming incredibly popular, and providing fans with official boxed copies of smaller titles that wouldn't normally be put on such a format.

Even if you do purchase a physical game these days, you might find yourself forced to download it to your system anyway, and in the Nintendo Switch's case, sometimes the full game doesn't even fit on the game cart itself. SD flash storage and HDD prices are falling more and more with each passing year, and it makes going all in on digital gaming a more appealing option. Especially in regards to the Switch, because while it is considered a home console, it also has a portable function, and having to carry multiple cartridges on the go alongside it can be considered cumbersome.

Though a full-digital future isn't imminent--the chances of the next generation of PlayStation and Xbox ditching discs entirely is unlikely--it appears that the industry is certainly trying to move towards that goal. Representatives and analysts from influential companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Activision all believe that in the next decade, physical games will be a thing of the past. More niche games have even managed to make their way stateside purely on fact that a digital-only version would be much more financially viable, compared to having to release it on store shelves.

What are your thoughts? Have you already made the jump to a digital world? Or are you a collector, and the thought of not being able to buy a physical copy of your favorite games pains you? If such a future time comes and you're forced to play digital-only, will you be okay with that? Let us know in the comments below!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honnestly, Internet is a worldwide thing
It should be available with high speed everywhere in the world
Country that are too poor for it should require the help of industrialized country
Those who don't have high speed just don't have the correct infrastructures...
The US can't even provide consistent or reliable infrastructure in its own coubtry, and local governments have even mandated monopolies for internet providers.
Easy for me: Stop playing current games and play old games

The reason?
1- My internet speed is god damn slow, and current games easilly take ~60Gb of space (GTA V, 77Gb, took me a whole week to download from steam no jokes)

2- I have no easy way to add digital currency
I've had more fun playing games from 5-10 years ago than just about anything released the last two years.

Also, the thing with digital games is that the publisher can revoke your license at any time even for no reason and you'd have no recourse. Hell, with the Disgaea 5 PC demo, they revoked all the licenses server-side and I believe they went as far as to remotely delete the files through the Steam client as well. I believe the day will come when instead of simply de-listing a game so it can't be bought, it will just be removed from your library.

hamohamo

Trophies
XP
Country
Honnestly, Internet is a worldwide thing
It should be available with high speed everywhere in the world
Country that are too poor for it should require the help of industrialized country
Those who don't have high speed just don't have the correct infrastructures...
for normal internet navigation which is the only nessecity 2 megabytes per second should be enough

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
again, it has nothing to do with speed
its the amount of GB you can upload/download within a month
If you exceed it, you get heavily charged for additional gb you use
Here, it's like 5$/exceeded gb...

That's a thing? I have literally never heard of limited data usage on internet usage in my entire life.

Reactions: DuoForce

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Total crap, I did Google's internet speed test and the results are... hilarious
View attachment 141826
(Sorry for the Spanish text, but it basically says 2.77Mb/s of Download speed and 0.23Mb/s of Upload speed, ultra faaaaaast huh?)
That's why I prefer physical games

There is a big issue with download and upload speed in Spain? Do you know why??? My native country is a bit poorer than Spain and the average download speed is 50.00 Mb/s download about 20 to 25 Mb/s depending on the ISP. The fastest you can get there is like 100 Mb/s for download and about 50 Mb/s upload, but quite expensive

nonono
I meant your bandwidth, not your speed
Bandwidth is how much you can download/upload per month
If you peak at 2.77mbps, your bandwidth surely is very low as well, no?
Like, have you spent it whole on one game?

Again other thing i don't get, bandwith limit... My country is among those that fit Mr Trump "shiaaathole", yet we don't have bandwith limit for line internet. I can download as much as i want, the price and speed will remain the same.
We only have limit for 3G and LTE connections

About digital, i don't mind for PC, because it is more easy fix future "bugs" or issues. For example old dos games? No problem you have Dosbox.
Old win95 games that refuse to work on any Windows NT version? You can use a virtual machine or there may even be a fan patch.
As much as i'm against piracy if a company fucks me, then well too bad i will find a way to use the software i bought. For example, Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection you can still buy it for PS3 or 360, but for PC they removed it, because there is a bug with Xbox live and WIndows 10.... So instead of fixing the issue WB said remove it and screw those who bought it.
So i can download it but not play with it, because it will fail to connect to xbox live (old PC version)... So i got a xbox liveless patch and i can use it again.

Last edited by WildDog,

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
again, it has nothing to do with speed
its the amount of GB you can upload/download within a month
If you exceed it, you get heavily charged for additional gb you use
Here, it's like 5$/exceeded gb...

That's a thing? I have literally never heard of limited data usage on internet usage in my entire life.

OK, I made my research and it's not a thing for my ISP. My internet is unlimited. I guess that explains why I never heard of it.

BTW, my speed is 100 mbps upload and download (promised - 80 download, 70 upload is my actual speed) and we pay 450 CZK (14.86 USD) a month.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There's no technical reason (like wear on parts) why it should be so - it's simply a case of the consumers (who want the most with the least) being slave to providers (who want the most with the least) and how much they can get away with

Here in Italy, SMS notifications for missed calls while disconnected from the network were free between roughly 1999 and 2014 (note that back then there were 2 operators instead of the 4 at the turn of the decade, or the 3 and half of today); but when one made them paid, in a couple of month all the others did too

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Nomelas

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wwyd? I would keep doing what I've been doing... I haven't bought a physical copy of a game since a link between worlds for the 3ds...

drwhojan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Waste of money too.

A digital cost a lot of money but only re-downloadable to it's owner, Even if you sell your console it's formatted and useless.

As a physical can be sold on / getting you back some cash at lest for newer game's you like to buy, and ready for a new user, Even in the future they maybe become valuable and vintage..

On the other hand digital's saving putting in disc manually are cartridge.

I half disagree..

Last edited by drwhojan, , Reason: Added info.

Medveitsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If it is only digital. i dont buy it. for example
RE Revlations for ns is in europe only download but in america gamecard and download but i really like that game but it is download only in europe so i dont buy it. :(
tell me a one good reason why dont you just download the game?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hurrah to stopping Diogenes Syndrome!
Long life to ISPs on Europe (Germany?) for not being so shitty I guess!
And a toast to my unpopular opinions! Yey!

PS: Now on unpopular opinions v2.0, I really think games-as-a-service options like Game Pass are pretty interesting.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I try to avoid buying digital, but if there's a good deal on a game I was only a little interested in, I might go for it.

Still, the day all video games are digital only is the day I stop buying games. I see how it can be more convenient, but I don't think it's worth the trade-off.

D

Deleted User

I, personally, wouldn't be too bothered by the fact. Being primarily a PC Gamer, I've already gotten used to having digital distribution as the primary method of buying games. Physical releases on consoles are nothing more than a formality at this point, especially considering that you have to download the game to your hard drive anyways. They're great as collectibles, but they don't have much purpose beyond that.

That said, I can see why physical releases would be more appealing to some, especially to people in areas with slower internet connections. There is also the point to be made that you never truly own the games, and that your right to play them could be taken away once the provider stops supporting the platform, which also poses a risk for preservation-minded individuals. I get the feeling that's an issue both consumers and companies are going to have to face sometime in the future, unless we want all of our games become lost media.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...