• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Weight Loss Is Positive, Being Overweight Isn't - One Man's Amazing Comeback

D

Deleted User

I am not saying that Genetics do not have a factor. Thyroid glands are one of the exemples.I just don’t think that it is a valid excuse for not losing weight.
"The strength of the genetic influence on weight disorders varies quite a bit from person to person. Research suggests that for some people, genes account for just 25% of the predisposition to be overweight, while for others the genetic influence is as high as 70% to 80%. Having a rough idea of how large a role genes play in your weight may be helpful in terms of treating your weight problems."
"
  • You have been overweight for much of your life.
  • One or both of your parents or several other blood relatives are significantly overweight. If both of your parents have obesity, your likelihood of developing obesity is as high as 80%.
  • You can't lose weight even when you increase your physical activity and stick to a low-calorie diet for many months."
I'm not making a excuse to not loose weight. I'm trying to tell you there is more to the picture than just "eat less calories. exercise more"
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/why-people-become-overweight

Reactions: IncredulousP

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to throw this out there. If anyone believes that the current obesity epidemic is caused by genetics, that we should just simply accept that people are going to be obese and there's nothing we can do about it is wrong. I was alive to see it take place and hopefully I'm alive to see it end. It's not right to participate in fat acceptance and if you're doing so you're part of why people are obese thus you are part of the problem.

Last edited by billapong,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
As a liberal, I personally believe that all people should aspire to be fat as a symbol of wealth. Go back to racist land you racist racist and also you're a fascist and probably have less than 3,00,000 GSP on your main in Smash Ultimate so take that and think again before you post on my liberal forum.

D

Deleted User

I just wanted to throw this out there. If anyone believes that the current obesity epidemic is caused by genetics, that we should just simply accept that people are going to be obese and there's nothing we can do about it is wrong. I was alive to see it take place and hopefully I'm alive to see it end. It's not right to participate in fat acceptance and if you're doing so you're part of why people are obese thus you are part of the problem.
Okay clearly You're replying to my post. I'll repeat again. There is more to the picture than just calories. Yes genetics play a factor, but I also just stated "I'm not making a excuse to not loose weight" If you can loose weight loose it. HOWEVER this is ignoring other larger factors that go beyond will power. In a poor family, making healthy choices isn't exactly easy. It tends to be more expensive and there's outside factors like stress and bad sleeping patterns, which conveniently leads into the people who are poor, have to overwork and have poor sleep schedules, which is known to cause a higher chance of being overweight or obese. In Tucson it's legal to pay under minimum wage. .Second off, I want to ask what liberal sites, what organizations are saying being fat is good? Because here's the thing, being obese at all, even overweight, is unhealthy. And that is a general told thing. So where the hell are you getting you're sources? Because I can go ahead, find a right wing person, who spouted saying being fat is good. And then make a claim that all right wing individuals support fat acceptance. So I'll ask, who the hell are you're sources?

Last edited by ,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Over 70% of the country is overweight or obese, the deep South being some of the worst offenders both anecdotally and statistically, but it really has nothing to do with politics. Nearly every food product in the US has tons of processed sugar and/or processed corn in it, both of which are incredibly unhealthy in large quantities, and both are industries we subsidize heavily for no apparent reason. This isn't the only reason our population is more obese than that of other countries, but it does throw a monkey wrench into the otherwise simple equation of 'calories in vs calories out' for losing weight.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't know why this is even a debate - being overweight is not healthy, plain and simple. Yes, genetics play a factor in the optimal structure of your diet, some people have an easier time living on a balanced diet, others require a low-carb and protein-rich one, but ultimately body weight is almost entirely a matter of input/output. You can't eat one burger and gain 10 pounds - that's not how physics work. A lot of people who are overweight are simply deluded - they lie to themselves to justify their bad eating habits and lack of exercise. It's comfortable to avoid putting any effort into losing weight, but the prize is well-worth it. It's a choice - you need to change your diet and daily routine, and you'll live a happier, healthier life for your trouble. This is important not just for overall physical health, but for mental health as well, and should not be dismissed as "optional". Whenever someone says that they "can't" lose weight, I hear "won't", and whenever I hear that they're "healthy at any size" I hear "deluded". This whole issue reminds me of a Ricky Gervais sketch, it's very poignant.

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Over 70% of the country is overweight or obese, the deep South being some of the worst offenders both anecdotally and statistically, but it really has nothing to do with politics. Nearly every food product in the US has tons of processed sugar and/or processed corn in it, both of which are incredibly unhealthy in large quantities, and both are industries we subsidize heavily for no apparent reason. This isn't the only reason our population is more obese than that of other countries, but it does throw a monkey wrench into the otherwise simple equation of 'calories in vs calories out' for losing weight.

It's simple, don't eat the junk. It's hard to avoid it, but it's not impossible. The Atkins diet shows how simple it is. Yeah, there's a shit load of fat Republicans, but the Republican's aren't the ones pushing "fat acceptance" on people. Considering there's more Republican citizens then Liberal citizens it would be dumb of me to say that only Liberals are fat, which I've never claimed nor said. I said Liberals are pushing that we should all just accept that people are fat and that's it's normal and okay, well, it's not.

Just like how these food industries used science to justify pushing these unhealthy foods on us and years later we find out that the science was inaccurate and used in a bad fashion. It really still does come down to eating better and exercising more. That will cure obesity in 99% of the cases. It may not be easy, but it's something you have to work at every time you eat and on a daily basis. It's just not like "oh I lost weight I can go back to eating whatever". It's a life time commitment to your health and happiness.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't know why this is even a debate - being overweight is not healthy, plain and simple. Yes, genetics play a factor in the optimal structure of your diet, some people have an easier time living on a balanced diet, others require a low-carb and protein-rich one, but ultimately body weight is almost entirely a matter of input/output. You can't eat one burger and gain 10 pounds - that's not how physics work. A lot of people who are overweight are simply deluded - they lie to themselves to justify their bad eating habits and lack of exercise. It's comfortable to avoid putting any effort into losing weight, but the prize is well-worth it. It's a choice - you need to change your diet and daily routine, and you'll live a happier, healthier life for your trouble. This is important not just for overall physical health, but for mental health as well, and should not be dismissed as "optional". Whenever someone says that they "can't" lose weight, I hear "won't", and whenever I hear that they're "healthy at any size" I hear "deluded". This whole issue reminds me of a Ricky Gervais sketch, it's very poignant.

Good points and I'm not going to support these people with their delusions nor try to justify that being obese is okay and should be accepted. I'm also not going to listen to their excuses. It's a recent epidemic and a completely curable one. I was around to see it take shape. When I was a kid you'd have 1 fat kid in a grade that had 300 people in it. Everyone's genetic makeup didn't shift over night. It really is basically what you eat (including how much) and then how much you exercise. Like gravity it's a pretty sound science.

D

Deleted User

It's simple, don't eat the junk. It's hard to avoid it, but it's not impossible. The Atkins diet shows how simple it is. Yeah, there's a shit load of fat Republicans, but the Republican's aren't the ones pushing "fat acceptance" on people. Considering there's more Republican citizens then Liberal citizens it would be dumb of me to say that only Liberals are fat, which I've never claimed nor said. I said Liberals are pushing that we should all just accept that people are fat and that's it's normal and okay, well, it's not.

Just like how these food industries used science to justify pushing these unhealthy foods on us and years later we find out that the science was inaccurate and used in a bad fashion. It really still does come down to eating better and exercising more. That will cure obesity in 99% of the cases. It may not be easy, but it's something you have to work at every time you eat and on a daily basis. It's just not like "oh I lost weight I can go back to eating whatever". It's a life time commitment to your health and happiness.
The following only applies if you aren't one of those people who experiences high level of stress, has bad sleeping patterns which fuck up stabilization of weight and handling of hunger, aren't one of those people who live in the city and find themselves poor whom are incapable of buying better heather foods , and nearly every mile you go you see another McDonald or fast food restaurant.. Doesn't apply to people if they are unaware how food labels are incomplete in the US and can lie, for example with roman your supposed to have half a packet, if you don't that's more than half your intake for sodium. Or if you have a job that requires you to sit on end in a office. And get home and it's near midnight, and you have to go to sleep to wake up for the next day for your job. This also excludes house cleaning, bills and various other time wasting factors. One of the biggest issues in regards to weight is time. People don't have the time to go cook a proper meal because if they aren't busy with work, they are busy with housework, children, bills, and exuding family social events you are expected to go to. I'm going to repeat myself, being fat, overweight is not healthy. But just saying eat less, don't eat the junk. Doesn't cut it, there is more factors and a one size fits all approach does not work.

Last edited by ,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

As far as I'm concerned, the two biggest scams in the food industry pushed onto the populace is the prevalence of cereal and the replacement of natural sugar with high fructose corn syrup. A bowl of cereal is a bowl of cardboard-flavoured carbs - if you have them in your house, just bin them immediately. As far as fructose is concerned, it's a sugar that's harder to digest than glucose as it puts a strain on the kidneys. Fructose isn't metabolised in the same way glucose is - it's converted into glycogen and triglycerides. Bread and pasta take the third place in terms of stuff that should be eaten in moderation. People don't even realise how many sugars, both simple and complex, they consume over the course of the day, and they really shouldn't. Nowadays people live a mosty sedentary lifestyle, there's simply no need for such high carbohydrate intake. There are people who are genuinely surprised that they can't lose weight and all they eat is fruit all day - yeah, good on you for boosting your vitamin intake, but you're effectively eating bowls upon bowls of fructose, of course you're not burning any fat, your diet is energy rich and your liver is too busy to do anything. It's crazy how common nutrition myths affect society at large - the demonisation of meat and fats in favour of starchy alternatives is senseless and anything but healthy.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, there's a shit load of fat Republicans, but the Republican's aren't the ones pushing "fat acceptance" on people. Considering there's more Republican citizens then Liberal citizens it would be dumb of me to say that only Liberals are fat, which I've never claimed nor said. I said Liberals are pushing that we should all just accept that people are fat and that's it's normal and okay, well, it's not.
Firstly, pick any source you want, it'll tell you there are more registered Democrats in this country than registered Republicans.

Secondly, it's less about pretending that obese people are healthy, more about treating everyone with decency and dignity. If the solution to America's obesity problem was as simple as fat shaming, there never would've been a problem in the first place. At best, fat shaming has no impact on certain obese individuals who are content with themselves as is. At worst, it's just going to cause others to eat their emotions even more.

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, pick any source you want, it'll tell you there are more registered Democrats in this country than registered Republicans.

I said Liberals. They are a minority.

Secondly, it's less about pretending that obese people are healthy, more about treating everyone with decency and dignity. If the solution to America's obesity problem was as simple as fat shaming, there never would've been a problem in the first place. At best, fat shaming has no impact on certain obese individuals who are content with themselves as is. At worst, it's just going to cause others to eat their emotions even more.

Since the Liberals want to mix in simply addressing someone in a constructive way to deal with their weight problem with someone walking up to another person and calling them a fat stupid lard ass and call both "fat shaming" you can see how nothing is going to get accomplished. The Liberals pulling the strings don't care how fat their voters are or care about their health, they just want votes and by being all nice and saying "We're the good guys because we don't insult you" is dishonest. The good guys would be trying to help you understand that being obese is not okay and that you should not accept yourself as such and you should get off of your ass exercise more and eat better. The bad guys would tell you the opposite thing. How "nice" you are about it is irrelevant. Hey, if I come rob your house and since I was polite when I killed your dog that was in my way, would that be okay with you?

I know you're a Liberal, but this thread isn't about attacking Liberals. It's how to lose weight and it just so happens that various Liberal news organizations are trying to say that being obese is just fine and dandy. I've also brought up exercise and diet how many times? Look, if you don't like that I'm pointing out the fact that the Liberal media is a big contributing factor to people being obese maybe you could talk to your people and tell them to stop pushing "fat acceptance" on others?

Last edited by billapong,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

I beg to differ. In many cases shame is an extremely potent motivator. The feelings of shame and guilt are not universally rejected as negative in psychology. In fact, often times they're a pre-requisite step towards personal growth and self-improvement - you'll find ample papers on that subject as well. There needs to be a distinction between shame and abuse though, and there is a difference. I don't think that ignoring the problem is the solution here, nor do I think that people should be forced to change, but placating them when they're an unusual size is also setting a bad example.

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I'm concerned, the two biggest scams in the food industry pushed onto the populace is the prevalence of cereal and the replacement of natural sugar with high fructose corn syrup. A bowl of cereal is a bowl of cardboard-flavoured carbs - if you have them in your house, just bin them immediately. As far as fructose is concerned, it's a sugar that's harder to digest than glucose as it puts a strain on the kidneys. Fructose isn't metabolised in the same way glucose is - it's converted into glycogen and triglycerides. Bread and pasta take the third place in terms of stuff that should be eaten in moderation. People don't even realise how many sugars, both simple and complex, they consume over the course of the day, and they really shouldn't. Nowadays people live a mosty sedentary lifestyle, there's simply no need for such high carbohydrate intake. There are people who are genuinely surprised that they can't lose weight and all they eat is fruit all day - yeah, good on you for boosting your vitamin intake, but you're effectively eating bowls upon bowls of fructose, of course you're not burning any fat, your diet is energy rich and your liver is too busy to do anything. It's crazy how common nutrition myths affect society at large - the demonstration of meat and fats in favour of starchy alternatives is senseless and anything but healthy.

It also seems these large companies used the science at the time to push these processed sugars on us. Like, how sugar-free stuff was more healthy. There's all kinds of science that backed that up. Now we've got another group of people trying to use their science to justify being obese. I'd like to know where's the honest science that is meant for the betterment of man kind. Where's it hiding? Why aren't we being exposed to things that would help us and make us better?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I said Liberals. They are a minority.
Your definition of "liberal" is all over the fucking place, so that statement is questionable at best.

The good guys would be trying to help you understand that being obese is not okay and that you should not accept yourself as such and you should get off of your ass exercise more and eat better. The bad guys would tell you the opposite thing. How "nice" you are about it is irrelevant.
Then by all means, feel free to insult as many overweight strangers as you possibly can. I'm curious to see the ratio of how many suddenly become motivated to lose the weight versus how many kick you in the nuts.

I beg to differ. In many cases shame is an extremely potent motivator.
This is the United States we're talking about. I think you'd be surprised at the number of people here who have no sense of shame whatsoever. The obese people who do have a sense of shame are just as likely to be the type that eat their emotions.

Last edited by Xzi,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It also seems these large companies used the science at the time to push these processed sugars on us. Like, how sugar-free stuff was more healthy. There's all kinds of science that backed that up. Now we've got another group of people trying to use their science to justify being obese. I'd like to know where's the honest science that is meant for the betterment of man kind. Where's it hiding? Why aren't we being exposed to things that would help us and make us better?
Sweetners are a whole different issue, but looking at nutrition broadly, if heavier use of sweetners means that people won't consume nearly as many carbs throughout the day as they do now, I'm fine with that. I'm all for a scientific approach towards the problem, thing is that a lot of research is funded by the food industry, so one needs to know how to successfully navigate scientific journals in order to reach the actual peer-reviewed research that's unbiased. It's also worth nothing that very few things in life can be considered "hard science", we're always limited to our testing methodology and the findings of the past may very well be disproven in the future - that's sort of the whole point. Science is a never-ending pursuit of truth - we get closer and closer to the actual answers without ever reaching them, we're fallible.

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your definition of "liberal" is all over the fucking place, so that statement is questionable at best.

Nah, I've got a pretty clear picture in my head.

Then by all means, feel free to insult as many overweight strangers as you possibly can. I'm curious to see the ratio of how many suddenly become motivated to lose the weight versus how many kick you in the nuts.

I'm not the sort of person that would approach a complete stranger and start discussing their weight nor would I ever just start slandering someone due to being obese. What I would do is talk to friends, relatives or co-workers and let them know that their weight is going to cause them an early death (or something along those lines). I often talk to various family members and encourage them to partake in physical activities and discuss how their weight is effecting their body and mind. It's not always pleasant, but this sort of conversation is helpful.

Although, I do know some people that are just outgoing and will talk to random strangers and aren't the ones to beat around the bush. Sure, some strangers get offended pretty easily, but that's a personal problem. People need to learn how to deal with criticism and different points of views in a constructive manner and not lose their shit and freak out. I don't see much of a problem of telling someone who's clearly 400 LBS that's ordering 3 full size meals from McDonald's just for themselves that they should cut down. It's just something I personally wouldn't do, but if you did I wouldn't hold it against you.

Oh, I highly doubt a fat person could land a punch or kick on me. I could do circles around them before they could retract a single swing.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you'll find a lot of Left learning sites and organizations trying to justify being overweight while the rest of the world, including doctors and personal trainers realize the dangers of being over weight and are trying to properly educate people about those dangers. So it's good to wake up and read a story about a man that went from eating enough calories for 6 people a day to 3,000 while also losing 280 lbs in a single year.
Oooh boy, I was really wondering if i was going to give a post here, but screw it. I will amuse you.

I have lost 54 pounds since january. The last 30 have been in the last 3 months in a 1100 calorie diet a day under medical supervision.
I had diabetes and it is now under remision. I feel great. Ironically you can eat at fast food joints and still lose weight pending on you not doing it everyday and being smart on what you order (a side salad at jack in the box is only 64 calories with a chicken fajita pita being 350, you can eat a pretty decent 414 calorie meal that is not excessive on fat, just make sure you order balsamic vinegar)
Either way losing weight is a good thing. So if your post did not go any farther than that, it would not bother me so much. The reality being though that you once again tried to politicize this into a left vs right issue. I am sure you can cite youtube's favorite punch line like Tess Holiday or the corporate "woke" outlets that bat for her, but pretend to forget that fox news batted for Sarah Pailin when she decided to bring chocolate chip cookies to protest Michelle Obama's comment that kids should eat more veggies (you can google it up, its a funny story circa 2010)

Do you believe that constructive fat shaming is wrong?
there is no such thing as being "constructive" and an A**hole at the same time, but nice bait.
People decide to lose weight because they learn to love themselves. shaming them does not do that. get real.

There is also the feeling of an undertone, like the rest of your threads that you are trying to troll. But Hey, thats just a theory. A GAME THEORY.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,
Reactions: Xzi and Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oooh boy, I was really wondering if i was going to give a post here, but screw it. I will amuse you.

I have lost 54 pounds since january. The last 30 have been in the last 3 months in a 1100 calorie diet a day under medical supervision.
I had diabetes and it is now under remision. I feel great. Ironically you can eat at fast food joints and still lose weight pending on you not doing it everyday and being smart on what you order (a side salad at jack in the box is only 64 calories with a chicken fajita pita being 350, you can eat a pretty decent 414 calorie meal that is not excessive on fat, just make sure you order balsamic vinegar)
Either way losing weight is a good thing. So if your post did not go any farther than that, it would not bother me so much. The reality being though that you once again tried to politicize this into a left vs right issue. I am sure you can cite youtube's favorite punch line like Tess Holiday or the corporate "woke" outlets that bat for her, but pretend to forget that fox news batted for Sarah Pailin when she decided to bring chocolate chip cookies to protest Michelle Obama's comment that kids should eat more veggies (you can google it up, its a funny story circa 2010)

there is no such thing as being "constructive" and an A**hole at the same time, but nice bait.
People decide to lose weight because they learn to love themselves. shaming them does not do that. get real.

There is also the feeling of an undertone, like the rest of your threads that you are trying to troll. But Hey, thats just a theory. A GAME THEORY.
Congratulations, it's always great to see someone's effort having the intended effect. Keep on keeping on!

billapong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweetners are a whole different issue, but looking at nutrition broadly, if heavier use of sweetners means that people won't consume nearly as many carbs throughout the day as they do now, I'm fine with that. I'm all for a scientific approach towards the problem, thing is that a lot of research is funded by the food industry, so one needs to know how to successfully navigate scientific journals in order to reach the actual peer-reviewed research that's unbiased. It's also worth nothing that very few things in life can be considered "hard science", we're always limited to our testing methodology and the findings of the past may very well be disproven in the future - that's sort of the whole point. Science is a never-ending pursuit of truth - we get closer and closer to the actual answers without ever reaching them, we're fallible.

When I grew up and took basic health classes in Middle and High Schools they information about managing and maintaining a healthy weight was pretty cut and dry. We'd all run a mile every single day before actually playing a sport for another half hour and there was maybe 1 out of 300 students in my grade that was obese. It wasn't the way it was now when I was younger. It's too bad that the science we're exposed to has been motivated by companies simply wanting to make a profit. I've actually never picked up a "health" magazine in my entire life. I learned what I learned in grade school and have never had any issues controlling my weight. Possibly, I should grab one the next time I'm at the store to see what sort of science is being used in them (I have read some Atkins/Keto material though).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When I grew up and took basic health classes in Middle and High Schools they information about managing and maintaining a healthy weight was pretty cut and dry. We'd all run a mile every single day before actually playing a sport for another half hour and there was maybe 1 out of 300 students in my grade that was obese. It wasn't the way it was now when I was younger. It's too bad that the science we're exposed to has been motivated by companies simply wanting to make a profit. I've actually never picked up a "health" magazine in my entire life. I learned what I learned in grade school and have never had any issues controlling my weight. Possibly, I should grab one the next time I'm at the store to see what sort of science is being used in them (I have read some Atkins/Keto material though).
I would draw a thick, red line between actual science journals and pop science you'll find in a magazine - ideally you should avoid pop science unless you want to have a good laugh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4