• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Western hypocrisy at its finest: solomon islands

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yeah, whatever. I don't care about your mental gymnastics enough to try to disprove the errors in your reasoning.

Feel free to believe the west is hypocrite.
How is it not? Do the Solomon Islands have the right to house Chinese troops or not?
Is Canada (theoretically) allowed to? Cause that´s the equivalent to Ukraine and Russia.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Because of the Islands very close proximity to Australia they should have fallen in line with Australia. Problem is that the greedy government of Australia has been cutting hundreds of millions of dollars in aid to the Islands in the past few years. Naturally if China makes a better offer the Islands would be foolish not to take it. But the Islands are so very close to Australia, so really the blame should go to the Australian government for not staying best pals with the Islands in the first place. And really the US is to blame too; the US should have seen this coming and made sure Australia made the better offer to the Islands. Now that the Islands has committed to a deal with China it is probably too late for Australia to just start offering cash prizes again to get it back.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
hypocritical - behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.

I do not think that the west is hypocritical. That would require the pretense of standards. When lying and disinformation is the name of the game, you'd be a schmuck to believe the whole "we've got standards" shtick to be anything other than a blatant lie. Nobody is pretending to tell the truth anymore.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can bet your ass the US would stop Canada violently if they are even interested about the Solomon f*cking islands.
Of course I know, they would kick them out of NATO and embargo them, just like Cuba. But the world would still laugh at America for allowing such a thing to happen in the first place. And the US would deserve it.

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Of course I know, they would kick them out of NATO and embargo them, just like Cuba. But the world would still laugh at America for allowing such a thing to happen in the first place. And the US would deserve it.
It could theoretically happen if China overtakes the US as the economic superpower and offers Canada a better deal (just as the EU offered Ukraine a deal in 2014).

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could theoretically happen if China overtakes the US as the economic superpower and offers Canada a better deal (just as the EU offered Ukraine a deal in 2014).
I'm not saying if it can or cannot happen. I'm just saying everyone knows how the US would react, we seen how they reacted to Cuba. And the world would laugh at America if it did happen to them with Canada.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hmm mass-murdering facists (with a communist sigel) that have no problems causing problem for the world if they want. Yeah I don't want them as my neighbor either...

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hmm mass-murdering facists (with a communist sigel) that have no problems causing problem for the world if they want. Yeah I don't want them as my neighbor either...

America doesn't have a communist sigil unless you are referring to the SDG icon.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ukraine is a sovereign nation blabla.

China forms some kind of alliance with the Solomon Islands, a sovereign nation.

Australia threatens China. US does not rule out military intervention.

https://hindupost.in/world/us-issues-military-threat-to-solomon-islands/

Anyone care to defend or explain the blatant hypocrisy?
Saudi Arabia for 2 decades used weapons bought from USA and committed massacre in Yemen which is x10 times worse than Ukraine today, yet we see almost no reports or condanment about human rights from any west world.

As soon as all oil from Meddle East are paid with US dollar and they are considered US allies, so we all just give shit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1