Hacking Discussion What are/should 1.0.0 users be waiting for?

ravensfan8448

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, this is the whole purpose of EmuNAND. It allows you to retain a low firmware on your Switch, or SysNAND, while enjoying all of the benefits of being on the latest firmware using EmuNAND, which is an emulated NAND partition that is being ran off your SD card. Just be aware that if you use any hacks on EmuNAND, you run the risk of getting banned. Its not a guarantee you may be banned, but its a risk to definitely be aware of.

Likely yes, definitely stay on 1.0.0.

Thanks for the explanations, EmuNAND sounds like it would have the ability to solve any issues of staying on an older firmware. I suppose I will just have to be patient.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the explanations, EmuNAND sounds like it would have the ability to solve any issues of staying on an older firmware. I suppose I will just have to be patient.
If you want to be able to load CFW without having to enter RCM first, then you should stay on 1.0.0 and patiently wait for Atmosphere and emuNAND to be released. If you don't care about that and you're okay with using RCM to load CFW, then you can update. Personally, I recommend staying on 1.0.0.

Reactions: ravensfan8448

StageProps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SciresM addressed this recently on the Reswitched Discord channel; info for 1.0.0 bolded by me:

Lemme be very clear: On up to 4.1.0, we have a means of triggering full privileges code execution through softwarehax. This softwarehax requires user interaction. All of our current hax does.

Because the Switch uses ASLR, static exploits (not attacking scripting engines) are extremely unlikely to ever arise once you go down to OS-level exploitation. There's a flaw that allows for a "partial" ASLR defeat on < 3.0.2, but it's extremely difficult to use -- there's currently a $200 bounty from qlutoo and I for anyone being able to trigger a non-scripting engine aslr defeating exploit (e.g. via a savegame), and frankly I don't expect anyone to claim it any time soon. It's extremely difficult. I think in the long term, maybe 1.0.0 could get a solution where you turn it on and it boots into softwarehax. There's a theoretical vector that is almost impossible to use and also has no accompanying savegame exploit on < 3.0.2.

Higher than that, your odds of getting what you'd call "coldboothax" are best summarized as followed: "You're fucked." I would genuinely maintain approximately zero hope.

Basically, Atmosphère won't give you coldboot. It's possible no one will get a coldboot exploit, but 1.0.0 is the most likely firmware to get it "in the long term." That's the only meaningful difference between 1.0.0 and other firmwares in terms of hackability: you may someday get coldboot.

abk14459

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SciresM addressed this recently on the Reswitched Discord channel; info for 1.0.0 bolded by me:

Basically, Atmosphère won't give you coldboot. It's possible no one will get a coldboot exploit, but 1.0.0 is the most likely firmware to get it "in the long term." That's the only meaningful difference between 1.0.0 and other firmwares in terms of hackability: you may someday get coldboot.
What does that mean? So it's all tethered boot until they figure out coldboot?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does that mean? So it's all tethered boot until they figure out coldboot?
Indeed, he even mentions in the quote that he put up a bounty for someone who could do it without tethering which indicates how unlikely it is. Not saying impossible, but as Scires states "maintain approximately zero hope"

INobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Keep the 1.0.0 switch under your bed. Or sell it to someone who wants to keep it under his bed until there is a coldboot exploit. The RCM thing will always be a hassle even with an usb c dongle. The 1.0.0 switch will be the perfect offline 3ds successor, Soon(tm).

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Keep the 1.0.0 switch under your bed. Or sell it to someone who wants to keep it under his bed until there is a coldboot exploit. The RCM thing will always be a hassle even with an usb c dongle. The 1.0.0 switch will be the perfect offline 3ds successor, Soon(tm).
soon™

abk14459

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not use the rcm tethered boot as that's the only choice when atmosphere and emunand come out, upgrade emunand to the latest while keeping sysnand at 1.0.0. Then later down the line, if an untethered coldboot comes out for 1.0.0, I can just install that then. I don't want to buy another.

INobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Why not use the rcm tethered boot as that's the only choice when atmosphere and emunand come out, upgrade emunand to the latest while keeping sysnand at 1.0.0. Then later down the line, if an untethered coldboot comes out for 1.0.0, I can just install that then. I don't want to buy another.

This is the other way to do it. As long is emunand emulates the fuses as well, and won’t blow the physical ones. Maybe I interpreted this thread the wrong way, just don’t update.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
fat32 limit is 2TB
I can't imagine this being different for SD cards and hard drives but I have a 5 TB hard drive on my Wii U that has one big FAT32 MBR partition (the full 5 TB).
You need EaseUs Partition Master to turn big drives/cards from GPT into MBR and FatGUIFormat (google it) to format it into one FAT32 partition (with 32 or most likely 64 k cluster size). Just my 2 cents on this.

@Topic: Keep it on 1.0.0! You will be able to do what anyone else can with RCM but you can install a real coldboot software solution if that ever comes out. If not you won't have any disadvantage as well thanks to emunand.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
hekate>homebrew launcher works right now on 1.0.0 through rcm so wait for atmosphere and emunand so you can keep 1.0.0 and update the emunand
I can't imagine this being different for SD cards and hard drives but I have a 5 TB hard drive on my Wii U that has one big FAT32 MBR partition (the full 5 TB).
You need EaseUs Partition Master to turn big drives/cards from GPT into MBR and FatGUIFormat (google it) to format it into one FAT32 partition (with 32 or most likely 64 k cluster size). Just my 2 cents on this.

@Topic: Keep it on 1.0.0! You will be able to do what anyone else can with RCM but you can install a real coldboot software solution if that ever comes out. If not you won't have any disadvantage as well thanks to emunand.
I just google fat32 limit and found 2tb. Idk tho.

M-Gardevoir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1.0.0 Switch ?

Knowing there was an huge out of stock you hold the console more than A YEAR only for HAX playing Zelda and MK only ?

Sorry but for me you just throwed your money. I prefer going into the last firmware enjoying all the new games and update rather waiting a whole year (knowing there AutoRCM so everyting is possible now) for nothing.

Last edited by M-Gardevoir,

Xandroz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
1.0.0 Switch ?

Knowing there was an huge out of stock you hold the console more than A YEAR only for HAX playing Zelda and MK only ?

Sorry but for me you just throwed your money. I prefer going into the last firmware enjoying all the new games and update rather waiting a whole year (knowing there AutoRCM so everyting is possible now) for nothing.

well you dont know if rcm is going to ban you or not, also auto rcm doesnt charge your battery and you need to return to stock to charge it. and the battery charge runs out whilenin auto rcm your pretty much fucked and have to charge the battery in another switch before turning it back on.

sorry we didnt waste time, some of uss already have ps4 or xbox, or even another switch and at the time the cfw hope was for 1.0 and 2.0 anything above was tba.
thats why we all waited and fusee gelee was discovered while we will run on some other exploit which was the only hope back then.
and 1.0 is the holy grail of the switches

Last edited by Xandroz,
Reactions: lordelan

Shrike

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
NEVER UPDATE A 1.0.0

• If you are a "normal" enduser, and you just want to use homebrew and stuff: Sell it to a hobby hacker dude and buy a new console $$$ !

• If you are a hobby hacker dude, and you want to learn about exploiting hardware and stuff: Keep it (and do that ^__^)

I don't think that for the normal enduser it still makes much sense to keep their 1.0.0

(Don't punch me, it's just my opinion)

... But don't update! That would be just sad ;(

Last edited by Shrike,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1.0.0 Switch ?

I updated my 2.3.0 Switch to 3.0.0 with Pokken as soon as I bought it (because at that time the message was "get on 3.0.0, stay on 3.0.0") and I still am on that firmware. Spent endless hours in BotW, MK8D, Mario Rabbids and Ultra Street Fighter (thanks for your great SNES pads, 8Bitdo) and I will still stay on 3.0.0 for a very long time.
If it's that important to you to play all new games then you should live with the fact that your (up to date) console might not be the best one to get hacks and homebrews.

If I would've had the money for a Switch when it came out I definitely would've bought one just to keep it on 1.0.0 like forever.

abk14459

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought the switch only for botw. I'm only missing out on the dlc and the other mario game that requires 3.0.1. Don't care for any other games. I have a PS4 with over 70 games that I mostly play so I'll gladly keep it on 1.0.0. I can wait another year or 2 and wait for coldboot on it.

Reactions: lordelan

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
1.0.0 - 4.1.0:
- Atmosphere CFW
- possible coldboot (which might never come)
everyone else
- Atmosphere CFW

and you don't puyo for CFW, if you are okay with hardmod.
Misinformation again. 1.0.0 will get a coldboot on launch when everything above up to 4.1.0 might get a coldboot in the future

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/cooler-master-had-multi-coloured-ai-cryofuze-5-thermal... +1