Hacking What are the disadvantages of Coldboot ?

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all, as we've seen a lot of posts asking about what versions of firmware to stay on and what might be possible on 3.0.1 and 4.1.0 etc, what I'd like to know is what the negatives are about coldbooting? For example, future games will require higher base firmware levels presumably and so how would that work with coldboot where you may have stayed below 3. Are there any other problems that coldboot users could potentially face? I know going online would be an issue and they could only ever likely do it after uninstalling coldboot. Would game updates be a problem though? I'm mulling over coldboot and warmboot and trying to decide which to go with. I'm thinking that loading using the jig and payload isn't really that much of an issue and should it ever bother me there is always autorcm (if I keep the battery topped up in cfw) and sleep mode. I'm also thinking that with warmboot, you get to keep your switch current with whatever fixes / patches Nintendo decide to implement, whilst having the beauty of enabling whichever cfw you desire.

But then coldboot is so convenient and quick and I've loved coldboot Haxcii and coldboot enso on my wii and vita, but both of those consoles were at the end of their lifecycles so I wasn't bothered about keeping them current / up to date.

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's the shit. And the ultimate goal.....for me..some people like the hax like ps4 has that u have to enable every boot for various reasons but for me...i'm all about coldboot as I don't get online with consoles.

Last edited by link42586,

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
No real disadvantages vs what we have now.

But what we have now is so easy that it doesn't matter. A coldboot solution won't see more features.

Reactions: GunzOfNavarone

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
it's the shit. And the ultimate goal.....for me..some people like the hax like ps4 has that u have to enable every boot for various reasons but for me...i'm all about coldboot as I don't get online with consoles.

Yeah, I can appreciate that and I guess it will be a homebrew lover's wet dream. But I thought I would approach this question differently, as there has been so much stuff for coldboot but I've seen little about what risks / downfalls may be associated with it.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if coldboots even have disadvantages over warmboots (in general, mind you). You get a higher level code access, no worry about being patched out, and arguably less user-interaction. The only downside to a coldboot would have to be specific to that coldboot. The one we have requires being tethered and a hardmod, for the first time at least. Heck, considering that you can just leave the console in sleep mode the entire time renders this argument moot. So to be more accurate, there are no inherent downsides to coldboots but rather differences in how they are achieved in tandem with how one uses their consoles.

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Emunand/rednand...bam all of your concerns are taken care of. Except for bans

Wondering if we won't see a way to update sysnand while keeping certain exploits.

Have you stayed on lower firmware?

Do you think SciresM will provide much support for Atmosphere once it's out? I'm contemplating staying on 3.0.2 but it's irked me that I don't get exfat support. I know there are guides to mod the nand, but if I'm honest, the guides look really daunting. And even then, is it not risky to start messing with your nand?

D

Deleted-442439

There is really no disadvantage to coldboot, it only makes life easier. You just install it and done, no cables, jigs or anything. Just simple easy permanent privileged access to the entire system with no user interaction.

Last edited by ,

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure if coldboots even have disadvantages over warmboots (in general, mind you). You get a higher level code access, no worry about being patched out, and arguably less user-interaction. The only downside to a coldboot would have to be specific to that coldboot. The one we have requires being tethered and a hardmod, for the first time at least. Heck, considering that you can just leave the console in sleep mode the entire time renders this argument moot. So to be more accurate, there are no inherent downsides to coldboots but rather differences in how they are achieved in tandem with how one uses their consoles.

Cheers for that, very articulate and concise.

Last edited by GunzOfNavarone,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Do you think SciresM will provide much support for Atmosphere once it's out? I'm contemplating staying on 3.0.2 but it's irked me that I don't get exfat support. I know there are guides to mod the nand, but if I'm honest, the guides look really daunting. And even then, is it not risky to start messing with your nand?
No, I knew from the get go what I wanted out of the system. I don't care for coldboot as my system never dies and rarely leaves the house. I'm on 5.1

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No, I knew from the get go what I wanted out of the system. I don't care for coldboot as my system never dies and rarely leaves the house. I'm on 5.1

What do you use? AutoRCM or sleep mode? Have you noticed any warping to the console as a result of leaving it on?

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

As long as your console never dies, you don't really have to worry about all that.

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Leaving the console in sleep mode does not cause it to warp :rofl2:

Yeah, I know that sleep mode alone would not cause it to warp, but I'm thinking about say after a prolonged session playing something like BOTW and then you put it into sleep mode instead of a complete power down. - I'm still curious as to what caused those Switches to warp as there were a fair few of them.

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing about A coldboot is everything stays on the system I guess as compared to like the HENs on the ps4...It goes away and leaves no trace? after every powerdown. With coldboots the files/exploits stay on the system leaving A trace for potential bans?

D

Deleted-442439

Yeah, I know that sleep mode alone would not cause it to warp, but I'm thinking about say after a prolonged session playing something like BOTW and then you put it into sleep mode instead of a complete power down. - I'm still curious as to what caused those Switches to warp as there were a fair few of them.

Practically none actually power down the system after playing, we just leave it in sleep mode. The only possible way the console could get warped is perhaps overheating during gameplay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle