Hacking What are the disadvantages of Coldboot ?

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is really no disadvantage to coldboot, it only makes life easier. You just install it and done, no cables, jigs or anything. Just simple easy permanent privileged access to the entire system with no user interaction.
You've missed the point. If coldboot only works on low firmwares and you want to play a game that requires a high firmware, then you can't play the game.

Having the option to coldboot into an emunand that has a higher firmware would fix that, assuming its something we'll get.

D

Deleted-442439

Forgot to add that a massive advantage that is exclusive to coldboot is being able to restore from any type of brick. For warmboots, it would depend on the brick.

Well for Switch RCM covers that issue despite not being coldboot. In fact it is actually more powerful in terms of recovery since a bricked emmc can be fully recovered through flashing via RCM. Coldboot would not be able to do that.

Reactions: zillld

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Forgot to add that a massive advantage that is exclusive to coldboot is being able to restore from any type of brick. For warmboots, it would depend on the brick.

That's true, although (and I'd better touch a piece of wood), I have yet to have to recover from a single brick on any of my consoles that I've done and taken backup of NANDS from.

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You've missed the point. If coldboot only works on low firmwares and you want to play a game that requires a high firmware, then you can't play the game.

Having the option to coldboot into an emunand that has a higher firmware would fix that, assuming its something we'll get.

This is the point I really want answering so thanks for touching on that. Would an emunand firmware require sysnand to be on the same as well? (this is what I had thought you see and wasn't sure of).

D

Deleted-442439

Emunand will be a thing, and the current known private exploits ( Deja Vu and Jamais Vu) both boot directly into emunand or CFW patches to NAND, so I don't see what point I am missing? In addition coldboot on lower OFW would allow direct boot into a higher FW with patched fuse checks etc.

Reactions: GunzOfNavarone

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Practically none actually power down the system after playing, we just leave it in sleep mode. The only possible way the console could get warped is perhaps overheating during gameplay.

So, when you put it into sleep mode, you dock it I take it? And the lithium cell causes it to trickle charge once it's full so there's no way any heat could be retained? I'm just weighing up all options.

D

Deleted-442439

So, when you put it into sleep mode, you dock it I take it? And the lithium cell causes it to trickle charge once it's full so there's no way any heat could be retained? I'm just weighing up all options.

Keeping the Switch in the dock while in sleepmode for prolonged periods is perfectly safe, never heard of any issues. The PD controller should not let anything in once Horizon says "Battery is 100% thanks"

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure the warped Switches are due to the Switch being actively on and not in sleep mode. The whole point of sleep mode in the first place is a way to keep the console without using as much energy as possible. If anything is being warped due to staying in sleep mode, either sleep mode is broken or that device has too much power for its good.

Reactions: GunzOfNavarone

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Keeping the Switch in the dock while in sleepmode for prolonged periods is perfectly safe, never heard of any issues. The PD controller should not let anything in once Horizon says "Battery is 100% thanks"

Thanks for that mate. Appreciate it. I've not started using it yet you see, it's sitting there in it's box and I'm awaiting delivery of SX OS. I'm just hovering around whether to update or not. I'm leaning more towards doing it tbh. There are slight negatives that can be mitigated via means mentioned in this thread.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Pretty sure the warped Switches are due to the Switch being actively on and not in sleep mode. The whole point of sleep mode in the first place is a way to keep the console without using as much energy as possible. If anything is being warped due to staying in sleep mode, either sleep mode is broken or that device has too much power for its good.

Yeah, logically speaking it doesn't make sense. I'd just be interested to know what those people shared in common. To avoid any chances of overheating, I've disassembled the dock and reassembled it into a shell I bought online which is more reminiscent of the Wii U charging dock. It lets the thing vent better when it's docked. Anyway, there has been some decent info in this thread, I'm grateful to you all.

Thanks.

Last edited by GunzOfNavarone,

Erol

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
By far the biggest disadvantage is that it does not work with all firmware. If you only want to play very old games then you don’t care. But I want go play all games so this is useless to me.

GunzOfNavarone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
By far the biggest disadvantage is that it does not work with all firmware. If you only want to play very old games then you don’t care. But I want go play all games so this is useless to me.

If SciresM manages to get Emunand and Rednand working, then presumably it would be able to play all games as it would be emunand you would keep up to date (according to what has been mentioned previously in this thread). But as @Draxzelex pointed out, sleep mode achieves the same thing anyway, albeit keeping the Switch on all the time. But given the very minimal amount of effort to load the payload in the first place, it's kind of daft anyway. If you've got 2 people sitting side by side and one has to press the power button to load his coldboot exploit and the other has to slide a jig down the rail, insert a dongle and hold power and volume up... what is coldboot saving? How many more seconds of valuable gameplay? 20-30?.. You could even argue that if kept in sleep mode, the SX OS equivalent is ready instantly as you're resuming a savestate rather than coldbooting an exploit. So, it's swings and roundabouts. I think I will just update to keep it simple.

Reactions: Erol

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Emunand will be a thing, and the current known private exploits ( Deja Vu and Jamais Vu) both boot directly into emunand or CFW patches to NAND, so I don't see what point I am missing? In addition coldboot on lower OFW would allow direct boot into a higher FW with patched fuse checks etc.
The point you missed was addressing the use of emunand. All you did was repeat what the OP had already acknowledged.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: kinda angry rn why am i getting no audio in my headphones when they're plugged in