What do you do when you just can't get technology to work?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 910
  • Replies 6
D

Deleted User

OP
I've been trying to do an assignment which is due in a few days. I have to set up a dynamic DNS server using BIND v9. This assignment is a hurdle to pass the unit. The problem is I spent many hours on it over the weekend and just can't get the thing to work. It's always one error or another. I messaged my friend who has finished the assignment and he tried to help me. But he couldn't work out the problem either, and he's busy so he doesn't have all fucking day (the fact that he did try despite being busy does make me feel a bit better). I emailed my teacher for help yesterday and he hasn't replied, presumably because the unit convener (who is a tightass) has stated that this is a major assessment and students are to work out what to do.

The problem goes deeper than this. Ever since starting this unit I've been behind on the work. Partly because it has been difficult to get help when I'm stuck and partly because I was lazy. There were times when I spent hours on some task, asked for help and didn't get it and other times when I procrastinated. Everything is due next week and while I do have time to get the other tasks done if I work really hard, but if I can't get this BIND assignment done then it's all for nothing. I want to pass this subject but at this point it's starting to look more logical to simply abandon ship and focus on my other subjects which I have a decent chance of getting HDs in.

So, what do I do?

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Google, Google and more Googling, if that fails i usually end up sacrificing a goat to the computer elder gods and hope they shine their bits my way

MasterControl90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
1. Turn off and on;
2. Fiddling with the already correct configs
3. Blame who wrote the software/made the hw
4. Falling into despair
5. Taking deep breaths
6. Chill for a while
7. Googling
8. Realizing again that everything should be fine... And start over
9. Find out how idiot you are because it was a minor setting that slipped under your nose all the time making everything fall apart
10. Profit!

D

Deleted User

OP
1. Turn off and on;
2. Fiddling with the already correct configs
3. Blame who wrote the software/made the hw
4. Falling into despair
5. Taking deep breaths
6. Chill for a while
7. Googling
8. Realizing again that everything should be fine... And start over
9. Find out how idiot you are because it was a minor setting that slipped under your nose all the time making everything fall apart
10. Profit!
I managed to complete step 8 and gave it another shot tonight. Never completed step 9. Fuck me.

Reactions: MasterControl90

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"It's not a bug, it's a feature"

In this case though I would build it up in sections.

Make a virtual LAN with a server and say 3 clients.
All static IPs to begin with.
Set up a DNS with domains for said clients.
Check that works.
Spin up a 4th and add that.
Change one of the IPs and get it updated however you can.

After that you are on your own as I have not really had call to do more than play with dynamic dns clients in the past and most things I care to do can have nice call home applications that bypass basic home firewalls. I don't know if there is a function in BIND or if you need to get something extra to play with BGP and authorise updates or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    slaphappygamer @ slaphappygamer: I havent played my xbox360 is a couple of years. My switch got much use the last few days. Tears...