GCN what is a Cost effective GameCube ModChip?

FerociousGC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XenoGC. This is what I used to install and side mounted it.

-15 watt soldering iron with fine tip
-fine solder strand
-30 awg kynar solid strand wire (30 gauge solid isolated wire)

-Flux
- Helping Hands magnifier or strong Magnifying Lamp

Optional:
-De-soldering braid
-Fiber Glass Pen
-Q-tip
-Isopropyl alcohol

IMG_0009Medium.jpg

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XenoGC.

But it requires alot of soldering skills since the points are VERY tiny.
And usually also requires POT tweaking if you're planning to use mini DVD's

Ahahahaha, are you being serious? It requires very little soldering skills, I've seen people do it on their first attempt of soldering anything. If you honestly believe it takes a lot of skill to install the most simple GC chip, then you've obviously never soldered before.

Dont want to be a party pooper but I got a Action Replay for Gamecube and it's pretty decent. I know it aint a mod chip, but it runs on all regions, unlocks console to all regions and hacks a LOT of games.

How are you being a party pooper..? If all the person wanted to do was cheat and boot stuff from other regions, they wouldn't be looking for a modchip. I'm not saying they're going to pirate games, but most people who get modchips for their console are mostly looking to play backups.. Also, don't reply giving me the high and mighty reply of "but but but all I want to do is use homebrewww" because that's a load of crap.. Homebrew may be one of the reasons for getting a modchip, but in terms of the GC, I highly doubt it's going to be the main reason.

Isn't it cheaper to just get a Wii and softmod that? Modchips are expensive and rare, at least from my POV, Wii's not so much...

Considering not all Wii consoles are capable of booting GC backups, not really.. Not to mention, it tends to take a toll on the laser in the Wii's dvd drive to boot and play GC backups. Oh yeah, GC modchips such as the XenoGC are not rare or expensive what so ever.. Heck, the schematics and the source for the XenoGC is released, and since they're so simple, they're easy to build.

I haven't had any experience yet (my Gamecube is away with a hacker being modded with the Xeno GC as we speak), but my understanding is that running backups from SD load has imperfect compatibility (though it works great on something like 75% of games), but using ISOs burned to mini DVD-Rs runs perfectly (as long as the mini DVDs are of high enough quality). I could be wrong, though.

Soldering a modchip to the PCB of a GC's dvd drive doesn't qualify you as a hacker.. Backups using discs has perfect compatibility, but you may need to adjust the pot of your console's drive to get it to read them properly. A lot of the silver GCs don't need to be adjusted to properly read the discs, because the pot is set in that sweet spot you'd be wanting to adjust it to.

I was actually one of the first to hard mod my Wii with a WiiKey1.
It's been good to me, I played everything all the time, up until 2 years ago when I decided to go USB.
But even then, when the odd game wouldn't work ( Metroid other M, Trilogy, Rock Band 3 ) I just burned a DVD and I was able to play that perfectly.
The other added bonus, was being able to flawlessly play any GC game ( even with the audio stream ), thus , making my Wii sort of special ( really 2 systems in one ) and I'm sure I'll keep it for a long time.
It seams that it's a lot of trouble to mod a GC, especially the case modding, if you already have a Wii, I'd suggest to hard mod that instead, I'm sure Wiikeys should be very cheap these days...

Um, how do you know you're one of the first to hard mod your Wii with a Wiikey? Also, all Wii consoles except for the latest revision that had the internal GC stuff remove, are two systems in one..

XenoGC. This is what I used to install and side mounted it.

-15 watt soldering iron with fine tip
-fine solder strand
-30 awg kynar solid strand wire (30 gauge solid isolated wire)

-Flux
- Helping Hands magnifier or strong Magnifying Lamp

Optional:
-De-soldering braid
-Fiber Glass Pen
-Q-tip
-Isopropyl alcohol

IMG_0009Medium.jpg

You don't have to use wire to install the XenoGC, but it does make it a bit easier for a novice to solder the chip in. You can line it up with the points on the PCB and solder it directly to the board.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Soldering a modchip to the PCB of a GC's dvd drive doesn't qualify you as a hacker
You talk too much... way WAY too much.

Anyway, I never said installing modchips qualified you as a hacker. I simply said a hacker/modder (whatever you want to call him) was installing it for me. He also writes his own homebrew and makes his own modchips sometimes. Has he personally found and refined an exploit not previously known in a console not previously hacked? Not that I know of, but either way, you're just being nitpicky with words. I could easily be as nitpicky and say you're incorrect for calling the XenoGC a mod chip, since it's not (it's actually a "drive chip", which is considered different, believe it or not), but that would be silly, cuz it's obvious what you really mean when you call it that. Likewise with the interchangeable use of hacker/modder.

And again... you talk way too much.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soldering a modchip to the PCB of a GC's dvd drive doesn't qualify you as a hacker
You talk too much... way WAY too much.

Anyway, I never said installing modchips qualified you as a hacker. I simply said a hacker/modder (whatever you want to call him) was installing it for me. He also writes his own homebrew and makes his own modchips sometimes. Has he personally found and refined an exploit not previously known in a console not previously hacked? Not that I know of, but either way, you're just being nitpicky with words. I could easily be as nitpicky and say you're incorrect for calling the XenoGC a mod chip, since it's not (it's actually a "drive chip", which is considered different, believe it or not), but that would be silly, cuz it's obvious what you really mean when you call it that. Likewise with the interchangeable use of hacker/modder.

And again... you talk way too much.

Modchip is short for modification chip.. It modifies the drive, meaning I used the term, modchip, properly. Just because people refer to a lot of the Wii chips as a drivechip, it doesn't change the fact that they're still modchips..

However, a lot of people would agree that being able to solder in a modchip doesn't qualify you as a hacker.. The term hacker is thrown around too much these days.. When the work is done for you, and all you have to do is solder it while following directions, it doesn't make you a hacker.

Note: If you're hearing me talk to you, there's something wrong.. Don't panic though, there's a lot of help out there these days, be strong. (I'm playing around, I honestly couldn't resist, lol.. So try not to be offended by that.)

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
But again, I never said that qualifies you as a hacker. I simply said a hacker was doing the job for me. He also builds his own modchips, so it's not just a matter of him having the work already done, minus soldering. We agree here, so no idea what the deal is.

And haha, no I wasn't offended. I walked into that one, so I deserve no sympathy. :-p

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one