Hardware What is a good External Hard Drive for PS3?

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently I am using the Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST1500LM006 1.5TB 5400RPM SATA3 for my external HD, Originally I purchased it for an internal HD but ended up just putting it in a case and using it as an external. The issue I am having is... I just opened up my move bundle from years ago to check out the sports game and rip it but realized the camera for the move bundle plugs into the front USB port and the Samsung Spinpoint needs both ports to have enough power. So you can see my problem.

So I read the maximum HD size for PS3 is 2TB but I hate having to have an external HD that uses its own power adapter. I would much rather have it use the PS3's power. If I HAVE too I can purchase an External with a seperate power adapter but I wanted to get some feedback. Is there a 1.5 to 2TB external HD that works with the PS3 WITHOUT having to have a separate adapter?

What is the maximum size HD for a hacked PS3 running Cobra? Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on how many games are on your PS3... My PS3 is running 4.46 rebug with a 750gb internal HDD and I have a 500 seagate external HD that has 45 games on it. My HD is over 7 years old and it still works! Your external HD should only take 1 port because my HD only take 1 port unless your PS3 is failing that is the only thing I can think of. Or maybe it is the case that is making it that way

I recommend you getting a Seagate 2TB external HD but I kinda find it hard to beleive anyone would surpass 1TB unless you are downloading an entire libary of games. All my games are over 6 years old I never needed to get more games.

Just know a Seagate will be $60

Last edited by Goku1992A,

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I have a couple of 2TB WD hard drives sitting around... I am going to format one and see if they work with just one port. The issue with the 1.5 TB hard drive maybe be that it was an actual internal drive that I am using externally. Maybe it uses more power? Gonna check and see.

Edit: Hey I got it working. Seems that the HD I was using just drew too much power. The WD Passport works great.

Last edited by Gorkensnorkel,
Reactions: Goku1992A

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to get a somewhat newly-obtained MEGAZ 500 Gigabyte External HDD to work on my PS3. I Plugged it in: nothing. I then realized the obvious fact that if its neither FAT nor FAT32 in format, the system won't recognize it. Then I went on to plug it in to my Lenovo PC running Windows 10, after which I used a program called Minitool partition wizard to re-format it to FAT32 as well as to allocate 32KB, just to be sure. Still NO dice! What am I doing wrong?

vlvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
WD passports are usually a good choice. They're great value for money as they're not morbidly expensive and have pretty good durability

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Stepcroc, I'm stuck.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Those are monitor lizards you dunce.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I'm funny. lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eggs and roasted potatoes came out good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching the first omen and so far it's not the priest doing the scaring
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Shouldn't the kid be the scary one?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The second omen: the chior boy gets his revenge
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reverse exorcist: it's when you hire a demon to remove the priest out of a small child.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hire Kendrick Drake possessed a minor again
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, I'd run away from his singing too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wonder if Drakes still allowed to use his Instagram
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like everyone has some great imaginary friends
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Yeah, that was insane.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Don't know what Drake was even thinking.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What every rich scumbag thinks that they can put their dick on anything and get away with it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I better hide my silicone Tifa doll
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What did Drake do, exactly? I don't follow celeb gossip.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Supposed accusations that Drake groomed a minor.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Allegedly groomed a 17 year old Instagram model or something along those lines
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yep, something like that.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1MJtV0UPI8