Not open for further replies.

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I literally just found <Shop1> yesterday and joined only to get booted today because they're 'closing to the public'. I finally started dicking with my Switch again because I found a working shop after forever and of course it goes private and I get the boot. What the fuck is the deal with all these shops? This has happened (to me personally anyway) like 5 fucking times in the last year, with the most recent (aside from <Shop1>) being <Shop2>. Is it as simple as them just wanting to cash in on the exclusivity or what? I understand there are costs to this kind of deal, though unaware of what said cost actually amounts to, but can't there be one...just one...that stays open to an active community? Boot the leeches, sure, but give people the time to become a part of the community before kicking them less than 24hrs after joining. I have no problem falling back on manually locating backups and going the Awoo route but the convenience will certainly be missed. Do any other shops exist that aren't paywalled? I'm half tempted to give it a go and do the necessary research/whatever-the-fuck to set one up myself. Maybe I'm being a crybaby and venting, I dunno, it's just unfortunate I guess.

Last edited by linuxares,
Reactions: nWo

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could just use Google or actually buy the games you know.

If you re-read my post I address that I have no problem going back to what I have been doing which has always worked fine. I'm simply curious as to why this seems to happen to every shop.

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Biggest problems for the shops are probably morons selling accounts.

Are people that lazy, or naive, that they actually pay for access to a free shop? It took me less than 2 minutes to sign up yesterday. Also apologies for naming shops in the OP, didn't notice that was a no-no.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not trying to sound entitled to anything. The owners of the shop can do what they want, I'm just looking for clarification as to why they all end up this way.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
People that knows nothing about the Switch gets help from some random person to set them up with free games. People aren't often lazy, just not technically knowing.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And why didn't you donate to the missingdump group and you wouldn't have these issues with shops?
I literally just found <Shop1> yesterday and joined only to get booted today because they're 'closing to the public'. I finally started dicking with my Switch again because I found a working shop after forever and of course it goes private and I get the boot. What the fuck is the deal with all these shops? This has happened (to me personally anyway) like 5 fucking times in the last year, with the most recent (aside from <Shop1>) being <Shop2>. Is it as simple as them just wanting to cash in on the exclusivity or what? I understand there are costs to this kind of deal, though unaware of what said cost actually amounts to, but can't there be one...just one...that stays open to an active community? Boot the leeches, sure, but give people the time to become a part of the community before kicking them less than 24hrs after joining. I have no problem falling back on manually locating backups and going the Awoo route but the convenience will certainly be missed. Do any other shops exist that aren't paywalled? I'm half tempted to give it a go and do the necessary research/whatever-the-fuck to set one up myself. Maybe I'm being a crybaby and venting, I dunno, it's just unfortunate I guess.

As @linuxsaid, you can do donate 500 yen and wait to get a pro license.

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are people that lazy, or naive, that they actually pay for access to a free shop? It took me less than 2 minutes to sign up yesterday. Also apologies for naming shops in the OP, didn't notice that was a no-no.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not trying to sound entitled to anything. The owners of the shop can do what they want, I'm just looking for clarification as to why they all end up this way.
I am making some assumptions here I haven’t run a shop but I imagine you have to switch hosting providers often as I imagine while Nintendo can’t actually stop all the switch modding, they can go after the hosting providers to remove these free shops. That paired with the amount of users that just plain struggle to understand how to utilize them I’m sure is stressful for any moderation team, and this isn’t unique to any shop. Everyone is always why can’t I get free games why is it down, when in reality many just don’t take time to read announcements. Kudos to anyone with the patience to moderate one of these groups.

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These all seem like fairly valid points. I don't know the first thing about the hosting of a substantial amount of content, modding would be annoying as all hell so I sympathize there...it's annoying enough to not be a mod somewhere and see the same shit asked constantly. It's just a bummer, I think the main thing for me was the convenience of something telling you 'hey...shit has an update' by simply checking a tab every so often without having to actively seek out info about updates or DLC dropping, if that makes sense. I feel I may have worded that somewhat stupidly but I'm sure you can figure out what I'm saying.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, why are people so obsessed with these shops? Just use torrents and in that way you are helping the community by seeding them, instead of relying on some random shops that may get shut down any minute by nintendo.

Also, I ditched all shops last year due to all the drama and started my own on my NAS:
1688180245135.png

It's kinda difficult to keep every game updated, but with the help of jdownloader2 it's not that bad.

Here's the tinfoil web server I'm using:
https://github.com/Myster-Tee/TinfoilWebServer

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, why are people so obsessed with these shops? Just use torrents and in that way you are helping the community by seeding them, instead of relying on some random shops that may get shut down any minute by nintendo.

Also, I ditched all shops last year due to all the drama and started my own on my NAS:
View attachment 381136

It's kinda difficult to keep every game updated, but with the help of jdownloader2 it's not that bad.

Here's the tinfoil web server I'm using:
https://github.com/Myster-Tee/TinfoilWebServer

The updating and DLC notices are the only thing I care about with shops. It's easy enough to locate files, it's more of a pain to keep track of what game updated or had some DLC release without actively seeking out the info.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The updating and DLC notices are the only thing I care about with shops. It's easy enough to locate files, it's more of a pain to keep track of what game updated or had some DLC release without actively seeking out the info.
You can locate those DLC/update files on ROM release sites, just like base games.

I got lucky few months ago and got a pro license with just a 500 yen donation.
They stopped accepting eshop cards like more than a year ago? Now they are re-accepting it?

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can locate those DLC/update files on ROM release sites, just like base games.

Yes, but those could be pages deep at any given time. Again, it's not a huge deal but the simplicity of quickly opening Tinfoil, scrolling down a couple tabs to see all updates for the content you personally have installed, and hitting a button is much more convenient than going through (potentially) pages of crap you don't care about to see if anything new came out for stuff you do care about and then having to (again, potentially) deal with a slow ass file hoster.

Reactions: nWo

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wait a few weeks, I don't see why they would turn down donations, it just they prefer missing dumps first.
I remember they explicitly said that in may/june last year as my friend tired to join pro with a donation they said no.. Maybe things have changed since.

and hitting a button is much more convenient than going through (potentially) pages of crap you don't care about to see if anything new came out
I think you are referring to the site with search function turned off. Just use another release site, there are a bunch of them, many others have working search function.

As for slow file hosts, you can always try a different mirror. 1fichier is the fastest but has time limit, sendcm is slower but you can download multiple files at once. With jdownloader2 you can download all parts from different hosts at the same time. If you want to buy pro account it's your choice.

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember they explicitly said that in may/june last year as my friend tired to join pro with a donation they said no.. Maybe things have changed since.

I think you are referring to the site with search function turned off. Just use another release site, there are a bunch of them, many others have working search function.

As for slow file hosts, you can always try a different mirror. 1fichier is the fastest but has time limit, sendcm is slower but you can download multiple files at once. With jdownloader2 you can download all parts from different hosts at the same time. If you want to buy pro account it's your choice.

Yeah I use Jdownloader2 along with Mullvad if speeds get throttled. 1fichier used to be fast as hell for me but as of late has had terrible speeds, for me anyway, capping at 100kb/s. It could be something on my end but when using PixelDrain I get much faster speeds. Unfortunately not too many releases for Switch get hosted there, at least not that I've noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Wholesome, welcome