lum

Hunter lvl
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hi, i'm not much of a comp gamer, maybe a game of starcraft here and DOTA there, but otherwise i mostly use it for internet and just daily stuff. now i was wondering what sort of mouse should i get

with corded, i've narrowed it down to

mx518 and g5, but i'm going with mx518 because g5 is just so fugly, and also i don't think the extra 400 is gonna do much for me caz i'm not that hardcore of a comp gamer anyways, however since where i am, the difference in price between the 2, g5 2007 costs 73 AUD and mx518 costs 62 AUD (around 6USD difference), which one should i go for?
and also are there any good microsoft alternatives? my old microsoft mouse had a side button on the right hand side as well as the left, whereas the logitech ones seem to focus on having 2 on the left hand side for the thumb but nothing for the pinkie.

now, is it worth getting a cordless? i really hate changing batteries, so i was thinking of mx1000 (revolution seems crap) or a g7, again any worthy microsoft alternatives? and what would you guys recommend, a mx1000 or a g7? (i can get a g7 for cheaper but i heard bad things about the 2 replacable batteries?)

hmmm...

while i'm at it, what's a good natural keyboard, i don't want those crazy ergonomic ones, mainly caz they only sell it in US and 300usd for a base model...
for keyboard most probalby a wired keyboard, i can't imagine changing aa batteries on a keyboard...

noamkot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I'm using a MX1000 and it's a great mouse for the purposes you describe (Internet/Office and occasional games).
The MX518 is of course more accurate with quicker response but less ergonomic and with less buttons.
The battery of the MX1000 lasts a few days but if you keep it in the charging cradle when not in use then you'd never run out of battery.

acky

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rechargeable mice are no good if you are forgetful, because you have to wait a while if you forget to charge it and you want to use it.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I second the MX1000 laser mouse. Great mouse and very comfy.
smile.gif

It works great on almost any surface even/uneven. Great for when you're laying in bed and watching some shows.

gixxaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, i know this isnt in your choices but look at some RAZER mice. They are amazing. Hands down best mouse i have ever used. PS i do alot of photoshop and cad work so i am hard on my mice and do require a lot of precision from them. Just a suggestion though

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say a G5. I'm using one right now. Fugly? I don't know about that. It's a freaking mouse. Who cares what it looks like? Honestly, some people. It's very precise, due to the laser, and is fully adjustable. It feels just right for me as a right handed person thanks to the design and the weight package. I don't like Razer mice in general because they are uniform (which makes for some awkward button placement regardless of if you are left or right handed. The G5 comes with a braided cord that is plenty long enough for any usual rig. You can turn down or up the sensitivity easily on the mouse itself, and this too can be tweaked through the software.

Looking around, it looks like the G5 comes in three versions, the fake rusted looking one (the one I have) a Battlefield 2142 version, and a newer version. I bet they all run about the same. Wait for a sale on Amazon or Newegg, and you can pick one up for around $40, as opposed to paying ten or fifteen more at a big box store like Best Buy.

Zendrik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright. My setup used to be the G5 Mouse with the G15 Gaming Keyboard. I love the keyboard and I use the LCD screen on it for so much(altho not many games inherently use it). I recently upgraded my mouse to the Logitech MX Revolution and love it. Although it is not touted as a gaming mouse, I dont feel any difference in my abilities. It has the typical 5 button/tilt wheel but it has an additional thumb wheel(scroll up/down, and push in) and a button right below the main wheel. Using the uberOptions add-on for SetPoint, I can configure any of the buttons/wheels to anything.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont go wireless... Nothings worse than being in the middle of a game and having the battery die...
frown.gif
Too many "what if's" IMO

I use a G5, love it. Its a *bit* steep for the price, but the mx518 seems like the best bet for price to performance

lum

Hunter lvl
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thx for da replies!
i think i'll either get a g5 or a mx518

difference in the price is 10 AUD, g5 being more expensive
ie. a difference of around 7USD, what do you think?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rechargable mice are great if you use the pc for just a few hours a day. Any more than that and you'll find the batteries on the mouse will be running out all the time.

iTech

Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States
I though this was about getting a real mouse.
In which case I would have recommended those new floating mice that are designed not to sink when kids try to flush them down the toilet. Don't get a white floating mouse though, the quality of construction is very poor as these are mainly built in China. Paws will fall off, eyes roll out if you try to pet them, and stuff like that. I even had one melt when I left it out on the balcony in the summer.

But this topic is about computer mice...
I don't know anything about them, I'm sorry (never used one before since mice are illegal in my state because they can strengthen one's trigger finger - which could aid criminals, gangsters and revolutionary militias in their cause).

Alastair

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd go for the cheapest PS/2 optical mouse you can find. My one set me back 3$ and it's excellent! I wouldn't throw my money away on a "gamer" mouse or whatever they're branded as, if I were you. I don't see any advantage they give (when versing users of them) in games. If you DO feel the need to drop some cash and be pushing around some more weight on your mouse-pad - good luck to you.

GodMedia

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am currently using an MX518 which I purchased to replace my MX510 (the earlier version of the 518). I really love this mouse. It is very good for everyday use as well as for more complex or precision mousing (I am a graphics designer and video animator and editor, I need a very good mouse for my work). Altogether, I've been using this mouse style for about two years and never had a problem. The buttons are very easy to use, the mouse is very accurate and a good weight, and it has a nice shape that fits the hand well. I highly recommend this mouse.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: nah who am i kidding? we all know he lives in north korea