Misc What Mp3 player to buy

HideoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to buy an mp3 player with a built in speaker and a battery that lasts. Why? Cause I tend to use the phone too much at night and I want to stop that as my eyes get irritated, I will instead listen to audiobooks, which If listened to using phone, would make me check the latter and hurt my eyes. Any suggestions

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The iPod Touch has internal speakers, but then again you wouldn't want an MP3 player with a screen as you already mentioned.
Post automatically merged:

Go with like a Shuffle perhaps.

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing it does not matter if the device has a screen or not since most people do not stare at their ipod screen for more than a few seconds at a time. The problem with itsy bitsy ipods like shuffle and that stupid iPod watch thing (and iPod Touch ) is the batteries are getting pretty old and they're no fun to replace.

If you want an iPod that is repairable, go with Classic Gen 4: easy to open, replace battery, screen, and numerous SD/CF adapters exist to replace the hard drive. Avoid gen 3 which needs firewire to charge and gen 5 which has an extremely fragile battery connector.

If you want a new hobby buy a minidisc walkman. Many of the NetMD ones (~2000 or later) have astonishing battery life on a single AA. A single reusable minidisc can hold 320 mins of speech quality audio or 160 mins of approx. the same quality as 128kbit mp3. Minidiscs are not like CDRW were; they're actually quite convenient and fun to (re)use.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you want a new hobby buy a minidisc walkman. Many of the NetMD ones (~2000 or later) have astonishing battery life on a single AA. A single reusable minidisc can hold 320 mins of speech quality audio or 160 mins of approx. the same quality as 128kbit mp3. Minidiscs are not likde CDRW were; they're actually quite convenient and fun to (re)use.
I don't know about you but MiniDisc is quite outdated in the technology side of things, this stuff is more for the retro enthusiast or collector than anything, and is not something that most people would usually take with them in my honest opinion. The players and blank discs are very expensive even, usually selling for roughly $40-$200 from where I've searched.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See if your phone has a built in blue light reducer, similar to PC f.lux,

I know samsung has a built in one (branded as eye comfort shield),
if not you need root for f.lux android, or use lux auto brightness for non root

Apple has one also built in called night shift

Reactions: SylverReZ

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are a lot of portable speakers available with build in battery, mp3 player, bluetooth connection for streaming audio or additional a aux in.
Alternativ exists the Intenso Alarmbox which is a Alarm Clock, but can be used by its builtin battery as transportable speaker to listen mp3 from a SDCard or aux in. And the sound is quit good.

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about you but MiniDisc is quite outdated in the technology side of things, this stuff is more for the retro enthusiast or collector than anything, and is not something that most people would usually take with them in my honest opinion. The players and blank discs are very expensive even, usually selling for roughly $40-$200 from where I've searched.

I thought so, too, at first. I got a couple just out of curiosity. That's also why I started off by saying "If you want a new hobby..."

But the funny thing is about a year ago I started to use minidisc more than iPods because I don't find the battery dead after a busy week (when I forget about listening) like with an ipod. (Off really means OFF on an MD player.) I also don't get lost sifting a billion tracks or phone distractions on the way through the UI to listen to a particular book or music. A MD player usually makes it into the pack and gets used. iPods...well...I spend more time tinkering with the broken ones than actually listening!

You really do not need very many discs. As for the expense, if you shop around, it should still be possible to get a handful of MDs and a recorder for about $100-150. (Avoid Hi-MD, that's the crazy expensive collector stuff and NetMD sounds 90 percent as good.) Just get used discs in a bundle of 20 or 40 from Japan for like $2 each.

Also WebMD--not the medical site-- runs in Chromium and makes converting any almost audio file to MD trivial and easy on any OS except maybe the BSDs. I'm not sure about the state of iPod support on modern windows/iTunes.

Maybe I'm getting carried away with my hobby.... I keep forgetting most people nowadays probably want their book/music seamlessly transferred from some corporate app store starting with the letter A.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost anything nowadays plays music and honestly, MP3s are quite outdated so you're better off going with newer compressed formats like M4A/AAC if you don't want lossless (admittedly they do take a lot of space although well worth it).

An old Android phone could serve as a "Music Player," for example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, prove it
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it