What Old School consol should I get?

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I sold some stuff on ebay and have a little cash and now I want to add another console to my collection. So far I've got (Not including portables) Wii, 360 PS1, PS One, PS2, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Atari 2600, Genesis and Dreamcast. So I have recently been starting collecting older consoles. But I am not sure what to get and what a good price is. I need a sega Saturn to complete my sega's or I could get an Atari 5200 or 7800 but I'm not sure what one. I like the 5200 just because its HUGE! I could also for a different console or maybe even not a console at all. I just have no idea what to go with. Any ideas? keep it mind I have my room set up to display all of my consoles so they are not just sitting in some closet.

CorruptJon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get the old school original brick game boy and some original games. The nostalgia is definitely worth the 10 bucks you can get one for on ebay.

KamuiX

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You forgot the Sega master system.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Master_System

I'm happy I still have that one with 15+ games and i play sometimes with it.

Also look for Xbox 1. Many guys out there sell it for 50 euro and if you modchip it, you can make it an AWESOME!!! media player for your home but also has all kind of emulators to play games from all the old school consoles till N64.

Of course other choices are gameboy original/color/advance ,neogeo /neogeo pocket, maybe an add on for your Genesis like Sega 32X or Sega cd, gamegear that's the most famous i think.

I hope find a third made console that can run all kind of retro games with retro controllers. Like a dedicated emulator. I find something like that only as handheld and this is GP2X (Wiz) and others like these

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2009/06/10/handheld...s-on-the-cheap/
http://technabob.com/blog/2008/01/22/handh...tor-goes-solar/
http://www.thebanzaieffect.com/articles/oo...o-digital-a320/

R1C3 N1NJA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magnavox Odyssey
(: the very first gaming system! I think lol well its really old i'll tell you that im talking like 1970's lol

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd say xbox, and then softmod it if you're into the whole piracy (I mean backup) scene. You could also go for a more obscure console like a CD32 or CDI, I got a CDI just to put my friends through the horror of the CDI Zelda games.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Lubbo said:
what is the difference between PS1 and PS One?
PS1:
playstation.jpeg

PSOne:
061030_ps1_hmed_9ahmedium.jpg

Think of it like a "PS1 Slim".

As for the OP:

Get a Commodore system. They're awesome
biggrin.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Go for the Saturn, otherwise Segata Sanshiro will show up to your house and kick your ass
smileipb2.png

And then import Policenauts for the reason about Snatcher below.

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Get a Sega CD, Snatcher, and a Sega Menacer, or the Konami Justifier. Then experience one of the most amazing yet underrated games of all time in all it's glory.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Between the Atari 5200 & 7800, I would definitely go with the 7800. I liked the games on the 5200 better, but the joysticks for it SUUUUUCKed! There may be an aftermarket solution to the joystick problem, but I can't vouch for that. Also the 7800 plays 2600 games, something else in it's favor.

My personal favorite old console is the 3DO, but it did have issues with the CD drive sucking very badly. Again, there may be a fix out there but I haven't looked.

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy a Turbo Duo/PC engine. There are many great CD games along with many Hu-Card (cartridge) games as well. Truly a neglected system with an amazing library of games.

Sega Saturn would be a good choice as well.

Don't buy a Jaguar, 3DO, CDI, or Virtual Boy (should I even have to say this LOL). Thats just my opinion, but I see little reason to buy any of those even for the most hardcore collector.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goshogun1 said:
Buy a Turbo Duo/PC engine. There are many great CD games along with many Hu-Card (cartridge) games as well. Truly a neglected system with an amazing library of games.

Don't buy a Jaguar, 3DO, CDI, or Virtual Boy (should I even have to say this LOL). Thats just my opinion, but I see little reason to buy any of those even for the most hardcore collector.
Second all of this. Saturn is great, as was the TG16.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Goshogun1 said:

TurboGFX/16 or Duo is indeed a good choice, one of my favorite games is on it, Devil's Crush Pinball, though it's also on Wii as a download along with a bunch of other TurboGFX games that have been bastardized to some extent or another.

Also I'd agree about the Jaguar, CDi and Virtual Boy, unless your quest is more in the "collecting" realm, and in that case get the Virtual Boy.

3DO had some great games though, Immercenary, PO'ed, "D", Road Rash, Need for Speed, Shockwave, Escape from Monster Manor, Way of the Warrior. I had a LOT of fun on that machine. It had a lot of games that were exclusive to it, or if not exclusive, had the best version at the time.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. There is a game store near me that sells old consoles. They Sell NES SNES Genesis Saturn Dreamcast Xbox Gamecube PS2 PS1 and others and the only one they are sold out of is the Saturn. I go back there every once in a while but they are always sold out. Apparently they had one in but sold it last weekend. They're prices are awesome too. 40 bucks for the system, the cables and a controller or 2. Anyway, I found one on ebay for buy it now for 45 bucks free shipping. I'll probably go with that. But then again, I could just get like dozens of old games or something. Its too hard to decide what to buy when on eBay.

Smatchmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mthrnite said:
Between the Atari 5200 & 7800, I would definitely go with the 7800. I liked the games on the 5200 better, but the joysticks for it SUUUUUCKed! There may be an aftermarket solution to the joystick problem, but I can't vouch for that. Also the 7800 plays 2600 games, something else in it's favor.

My personal favorite old console is the 3DO, but it did have issues with the CD drive sucking very badly. Again, there may be a fix out there but I haven't looked.

Agreed on the 7800 over the 5200 and with the 3DO recommendation. I loved my 3DO. True, there may not a huge library of good games but there were a couple of high quality gems that made the 3DO worthwhile.

I'd suggest a TurboDuo, though they've gotten a bit pricey. You could always save some cash and go for a TG-16 and get all the add-ons that make it a TurboDuo-lite.
Also, get a TG-16.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry, idk what you mean by a space cake, and even if i did, i'm not really taking requests right now, because otherwise people will get mad at me for taking a request but not making a birthday cake for @Xdqwerty (i'm sorry for that btw bro)
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @BakerMan lies, you just want to smoke it

:rofl2:
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess all the food in my fridge can knock out a cow or two
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I should visit Florida again, miss the alligator barbecues
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi: +1