PS1/2 what region is SCPH-50010 for a fat PS2 ?

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The console is a NTSC-U/C but I can't find anything about region code 10 ?

what is the difference between 50001 and 50010 ? can both be mechapwned ?

SylverReZ

Certified GBATemp Boomer
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The console is a NTSC-U/C but I can't find anything about region code 10 ?

what is the difference between 50001 and 50010 ? can both be mechapwned ?
SCPH-50001 is a US console and has either a V9/V10 motherboard, SCPH-50010 doesn't exist allegedly. MechaPwn should be compatible, but installing a modchip will prevent the risk of permanently damaging the mechacon. V9/V10s are infamous of burning out the laser with burned media, so I would advise installing the PIC or romeo fix.

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SCPH-50001 is a US console and has either a V9/V10 motherboard, SCPH-50010 doesn't exist allegedly. MechaPwn should be compatible, but installing a modchip will prevent the risk of permanently damaging the mechacon. V9/V10s are infamous of burning out the laser with burned media, so I would advise installing the PIC or romeo fix.

so 50001 is V9 and 50010 is V10 ?

I already have a 50001 and a 50010 consoles....If I don't mod them with PIC or romeo , For how long can they run burned PS1 discs ? Will the laser die after playing several games to the finish ?

Does this laser burnouts happen to the slim models too ?

SylverReZ

Certified GBATemp Boomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I already have a 50001 and a 50010 consoles....If I don't mod them with PIC or romeo , For how long can they run burned PS1 discs ? Will the laser die after playing several games to the finish ?

Does this laser burnouts happen to the slim models too ?
Yes. The slim models also have the same issue as well. Either use the PIC fix or romeo fix, the PIC fix tends to be much more reliable because it immediately powers off the console if it detects a spike in the mechacon, thus saving the life of the laser for much longer. As long as you use reliable optical media like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, then you'll be safe. ;)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Apparently region 10 is central + south America - they should match the PSP ones (https://www.psdevwiki.com/psp/Product_Code) + 11 and 12 which are the North American 70xxx's with 56k modem :)

The exact cause of the mechacon crash bug is unknown (there is at best a correlation with hard to read discs) so while a good disc may help it's hard to call it a solution (especially since "well readable disc" is a combination of multiple independent variables... got any Hong Kong Silvers? :P)

Reactions: SylverReZ

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As long as the discs are professional grade and use a cyanine backing. You still need the PIC fix if you want to play backups safely.

I want to use PS1 Disc backups only.

Do these have cyanine backing: https://a.co/d/gZDYWn4

What happens if I just use PS1 backups burned on discs with cyanine backing and do not do the PIC fix ?

Apparently region 10 is central + south America -

The console says it is NTSC-U/C

What happens if I just use PS1 backups burned on discs with cyanine backing and do not do the PIC fix ?

SylverReZ

Certified GBATemp Boomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use PS1 Disc backups only.

Do these have cyanine backing: https://a.co/d/gZDYWn4

Those are fine. Without the PIC fix, the laser will burn out a lot quicker, the same can be said for many old disc-based consoles.

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the laser will burn out a lot quicker, the same can be said for many old disc-based consoles.

I am looking to buy a next PS2 console that is compatible with the mechapwn exploit ... Should I buy a FAT or a Slim ? You are saying the slim models also suffer from this burnout bug ? so that makes 50001/50010 consoles the best ? since you can run PS2 games from a SATA/IDE storage with the 50001/50010 ?
Post automatically merged:

What's the point in burning discs if you can load isos from smb or hard drives?

I will run the PS2 game off my HDD ... I am only interested in PS1 games...POPStarter compatibility is bad...

SylverReZ

Certified GBATemp Boomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy a next PS2 console that is compatible with the mechapwn exploit ... Should I buy a FAT or a Slim ? You are saying the slim models also suffer from this burnout bug ? so that makes 50001/50010 consoles the best ? since you can run PS2 games from a SATA/IDE storage with the 50001/50010 ?
Running games off a HDD or SSD is highly recommended. The later slims don't have the expansion port, however, it is possible to solder an IDE connector on the unconnected HDD bus.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What's the point in burning discs if you can load isos from smb or hard drives?
For one, accuracy and compatibility - instead of using a virtualizer that uses CPU and memory competing with the application that assumes to be running in a well defined scenario (exact knowledge of loaded kernel modules)

It shouldn't apply to PS1 software, because POPS[tarter] certainly has the extra resources to act as a proper emulator, but alas "someone" pissed off kHn :) :(

the slim models also suffer from this burnout bug ?
Some (early) 70xxx's do, which are the last models to support a real HDD...
Sue a company in the USA and the problem gets solved, turns out that Americans do have consumer rights even though in this weird form :P

There's no single best PS2, that's for sure, but given your wants I'd get a 39xxx (good build quality before they started cheaping out), a non-stealth PS1 (3-wire) PS1chip, and a switch to manually turn it on when needed :)

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Certified GBATemp Boomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's no single best PS2, that's for sure, but given your wants I'd get a 39xxx (good build quality before they started cheaping out), a non-stealth PS1 (3-wire) PS1chip, and a switch to manually turn it on when needed :)
I've seen PS1 chips use about 6 or 7 wires as opposed to 3. But, in regards to the PS2, not all PS2s are going to be reliable. The most common issue I tend to see with used broken PS2s is a faulty disc drive, the laser can be easily replaced as I've done it once to one that wasn't capable of reading beyond CDs.

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
one more question, If the laser burns out, Can I replace it easily ? which parts do I need to purchase for a 50001/50010 ?

Also, For playing PS1backup game discs. isn't it better to buy a PS1 and softmod it ? instead of playing them on a PS2 ? Does the PS1 also have laser burnout problems like the PS2 ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2