Hacking Question what the best "allocation unit size" for exfat on switch?

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
so, i bought new 200GB and it's already in exfat
my switch has already exfat support, should i format it again on PC? or in switch?
if on PC, what the best "allocation unit size" should i chose

PS, i've already tested the card with h2testw and it's legit card with 89mb read speed A1 card.

i tested Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze on SX OS and it takes 25 seconds to reach the hub world, and 10-111 second to reach the level in portable and docked mode,
is it from OS SX?

Last edited by aos10,
Reactions: tiliarou

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
can't answer your first question (I'm using 64kB though)
but for the second one, yes for some reason Donkey Kong is slow on SX OS

Game Specific Issues
  • DK Tropical FreezeSlow Loading Screens : Game works, but load times are extended compared to original card (BBB release and multiple personal dumps, trimmed and un-trimmed
    • Solution : Not needed, game runs, just takes a little longer to load.

Reactions: aos10

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Try installing it to the nand, seems to be faster for some games for me.

installing on NAND? i am using xci version, how much it takes you to load to the hub world?
on OFW it should takes 8 seconds.

I just used windows default size. I think it's 128kb?
how much it takes you to load to the hub world?
for something less then 2TB, i think the default one is only 4K.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most exFat uses 128KB allocation size by default and its different from HDD's, most external flash memory devices always use a bigger cluster size, now the HDD being for huge amounts of data the higher you chose, the more space you will lose with thousands of files being even smaller than the cluster size.

You can try exFat at maximum allocation size and see if the game loads faster, however I think the problem is really the SX OS backup loading method as its already reported.

mSD original digital games load faster than the original gamecard and nand loads even faster, but on SX OS it seems games load slower than the original game flashcard, so it means what they are doing, they are not doing efficiently...

Reactions: aos10

wizra

Trophies
XP
Country
I’ve got DKCTF cartridge and also XCI on SX Pro. They are 1:1 in every way, including loading & performance.

der:Tom

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I’ve got DKCTF cartridge and also XCI on SX Pro. They are 1:1 in every way, including loading & performance.

Hm that´s odd, i just did some testing loading from the savefile selection screen into the hub/world (all in handheld mode), this is what i got:

cartridge, update installed on sd: ~15 seconds
cartridge, update installed on nand: ~15 seconds
xci via sxos, update installed on sd: ~23 seconds
nsp+update installed on sd: ~13 seconds
nsp+update installed on nand: ~12-13 seconds (seems to be a liiitle bit faster)

My conclusio: nsp is WAY faster then xci version and at least on my switch with my sd card in portable mode it seems that DK loads as fast as from nand.

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Hm that´s odd, i just did some testing loading from the savefile selection screen into the hub/world (all in handheld mode), this is what i got:

cartridge, update installed on sd: ~15 seconds
cartridge, update installed on nand: ~15 seconds
xci via sxos, update installed on sd: ~23 seconds
nsp+update installed on sd: ~13 seconds
nsp+update installed on nand: ~12-13 seconds (seems to be a liiitle bit faster)

My conclusio: nsp is WAY faster then xci version and at least on my switch with my sd card in portable mode it seems that DK loads as fast as from nand.
thank you for your numbers
now to search for the nsp version, i found a site but downloading is very slow and ave many parts
is there a way to convert xci to nsp?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DK is slow even on the cartridge. this is especially prevalent when entering the first world. it's slow on the wii u too. it's not unbearable though. 10 seconds to enter a level sounds is a bit long by comparison. it might take half that time on the cartridge.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's a bit different than whats reported by more than 1 user on other thread on this forum from loading speed... Their version the game always loaded slower using SX OS with emulated cartridge backups vs the real cartridge and they reported LayeredFS loads faster than SX OS too.

But maybe it was also on SX OS v1.1, I don't remember, maybe they improved speed on latest version.

And yeah installed is always better like the console original it always loaded all tested games by ppl faster on digital games on the SD than the original cartridge and the nand off course always come 1st in speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)