Homebrew Question What will be the latest Emulator working on Switch?

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

WITH A FUCKING 2ND GEN i5 AND 4GB RAM IN 2012.

Assuming pc hardware=mobile hardware

which it does not. The weakset link to the switch is its cpu but no doubt it should be capable of running dolphin if optimized well.
Problem with you all is that you jump to assumption that "X console is very powerful so it can run console Z" but that takes a lot of effort. AFAIK I have yet to see ps2 emulation on another device besides a ps4 or a PC (or on ps3 If you consider it emulation).

Gamecube: a port of dolphin from mobile device with some upgrades should do the trick (keep in mind not every game could run)
PS2: No, as good as the PS2 emulator is on pc,trying to get a decent working PS2 emulator would be a Hassel.
Wii: very possible just like the GC

JellyPerson

https://discord.gg/BMVma8j
Banned
Trophies
Website
https.htp
XP
Country
Korea, North
I have an Nvidia Shield TV and Dolphin runs quite nicely, with some fiddling of course. I'm pretty sure that the specs of the Switch are similar to those of the Shield TV, so I'm hoping for GCN/Wii emulation myself. I'm sure the Switch could handle it. However, I'm not so sure about PS2 emulation, but maybe with a few performance tweaks we could get that working.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
"DS isn't very hard to emulate" No. It's just that Wii U's hachihachi "emulator" is a hacky, whacky, bad inaccurate emulator.
What are you talking about? "hachihachi" emulator is a hacky whacky bad inaccurate emulator? What does that even mean? Haxchi isn't an emulator. It's a hack. Wii U has DS VC games that run under an official emulator and those work perfectly. Seriously what are you on about?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have to say that the best emulator is the one that accomplishes what the user wants.
I personally want performance and playability first, accuracy later.
Given some host hardware, if an emulator isn't 100% cycle accurate, but plays a given game well enough, with no relevant glitches, and good performance, it is GOOD.
In the other hand if an emulator is 100% cycle accurate, but can't pull more than 1FPS, it is BAD.

I see no purpose on 100% accuracy if stable performance isn't met first. I'm all in for justified optimization hacks and all type of HLE in emulators if that helps the system reach full performance at the cost of an acceptable slight decrease of accuracy.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>has Vita
>says Switch hardware is bad

The Vita also has shit hardware but it's already hacked so I'm enjoying that more than the Switch right now. Also I pretty much only care about 8 and 16 bit emulation. I'm not waiting for Cemu - that's going to take a while. If I want something I'll buy it on original hardware (or pirate it) OR emulate on PC if I have to. I have all the consoles I want, all hacked. I have tons of flash carts and RetroArch on pc. I'm not biting my fingernails waiting for the Switch. Its time will come and when it does I'll install so much shit on it it'll explode (probably will too because of those FUSES!)

Oh, and unless we get a real DPad joycon the Switch will ALWAYS be bad for portable retrogaming if you ask me. I've thought about this and I really think they'll announce that joycon along with the VC service. "Play your retrogames like they were supposed to be played."

Last edited by isoboy,
Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What are you talking about? "hachihachi" emulator is a hacky whacky bad inaccurate emulator? What does that even mean? Haxchi isn't an emulator. It's a hack. Wii U has DS VC games that run under an official emulator and those work perfectly. Seriously what are you on about?
The internal name of the Wii U DS VC is hachihachi, hence the name "Haxchi" for the hack that exploits it.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS, never.
Wii U, never.
Wii, never.
GC, perhaps.

I might disagree with you.

3DS - Perhaps but not anytime soon since Citra is still in early development so give it about 5-10 years from now.
Wii U - Perhaps since Cemu and Decaf so we never know.
Wii - Dolphin ? Until Switch has a homebrew and we shall see.
GC - Dolphin again ? Until Switch has a homebrew and we shall see as well.

Reactions: BlastedGuy9905

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Give the cemu and 3ds emulators time to grow more, a few more years and then I can see a very good emu experience of that on the switch. Right now PC's require some juice to run them fine, until hardware doesn't have to make up for the lack of proper emulation. Not sure of the techincal side I just know when code etc.. isn't what it should be thats when the hardware has to be beefy to make up for the processng

mrjc1238

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U is not possible for many games, on Switch you haven't two screens

The same thing could be done as with DS emulation on Wii U, where the two screens are side by side or one on top of another. Either way tho, Wii U emulation on switch seems unlikely to me

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

mrjc1238

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gets off-track easily, resetting/centering would be annoying. Perhaps modifying a Wii Bar to work with USB-C and somehow allowing a Wii remote to connect?

The main problem would be actually figuring out how to connect the Wii remote to the switch, which would require some homebrew program to do, so that probably won't be possible for a while. So most likely wii emulation will take some time, if its possible at all

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main problem would be actually figuring out how to connect the Wii remote to the switch, which would require some homebrew program to do, so that probably won't be possible for a while. So most likely wii emulation will take some time, if its possible at all
The Joy-cons use BlueTooth, too. Maybe we can somehow trick the system into thinking it's a Joy-Con?

mrjc1238

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Joy-cons use BlueTooth, too. Maybe we can somehow trick the system into thinking it's a Joy-Con?
Maybe. But as much as I'd like to be able to use the wii remote, if wii emulation does happen on switch, it'll most likely be with the Joy-Cons, unless the wii remote connection is within the emulator itself?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gets off-track easily, resetting/centering would be annoying. Perhaps modifying a Wii Bar to work with USB-C and somehow allowing a Wii remote to connect?
Why would a Wii Remote need to connect to the sensor bar? The sensor bar is literally nothing but infrared LEDs and a power source.

Either modify an official sensor bar to use a USB connector instead of the proprietary connector, or get a third-party USB or battery-powered sensor bar.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would a Wii Remote need to connect to the sensor bar? The sensor bar is literally nothing but infrared LEDs and a power source.

Either modify an official sensor bar to use a USB connector instead of the proprietary connector, or get a third-party USB or battery-powered sensor bar.
???
I didn't say that the Wii Remote had to connect to the sensor bar??
I said that it had to connect to the Switch, maybe faking a Joy-Con.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P