Homebrew Question What will be the latest Emulator working on Switch?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The psp has 333mhz processor and the n64 has 93.75mhz processor so it is kind of magic that it even runs that well. So you still think having the same architecture doesent help a lot.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There is no way it could emulate wii u. Keep dreaming

Whatever you say. 333 MHz doesn't emulate more than just a few first party games.

Praxis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
witht he hardware, Switch would be MORE than capable of running 3DS via emulator. The GCN is way storenger than the 3DS - the Nvidia sheild could emulate gcn well, and so the switch could do it very well, with the 'nintendo magic'. And if GCN can be emulated, 3DS sure as hell can.

The 3DS is definitely far easier to emulate from a hardware perspective. Especially because both the 3DS and Switch use ARM processors; similar architecture, way less work to translate I would imagine. (You still have to worry about different GPU architectures though.)

However, from a practical perspective, the 3DS poses a problem; the screen resolutions don't line up with the Switch. There isn't a great way to display both screens on the Switch's screen without a lot of black wasted space.

If you scaled each pixel up by 1.5x, it would look like this:
nBWu5C2.png

A less than optimal scenario.

The 3DS OS is also more complex than the DS or GCN, and there's a lot of signing and encryption to deal with as well as running background software.

Last edited by Praxis,
Reactions: Joom

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Citra needs as many resources as CemU to be ran, while my craptop already runs GC games at 60fps. I tried Citra, verdict, less than 10fps.
You're comparing Dolphin, an emulator with devs that have been in the emulation scene for over a decade and have developed an emulator thought to be near impossible, to Citra which has hardly been under any sort of such development for the past couple years. Dolphin now has native LLE without the need of a BIOS or DSP dump, where Citra can't achieve that low level (yet). Learn how emulators work before assuming good specs = good emulation.

Last edited by Joom,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Btw, i see many people talking about gcn, why not ngc, its nintendo gamecube after all, not gamecube nintendo, right?
Nope. The official naming scheme is GCN. Nintendo themselves told Nintendo Power that that's how they wanted to abbreviate it. Talk to Nintendo about any qualms you may have.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

themperror

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The 3DS is definitely far easier to emulate from a hardware perspective. Especially because both the 3DS and Switch use ARM processors; similar architecture, way less work to translate I would imagine. (You still have to worry about different GPU architectures though.)

However, from a practical perspective, the 3DS poses a problem; the screen resolutions don't line up with the Switch. There isn't a great way to display both screens on the Switch's screen without a lot of black wasted space.

If you scaled each pixel up by 1.5x, it would look like this:

-snip for space-

A less than optimal scenario.

The 3DS OS is also more complex than the DS or GCN, and there's a lot of signing and encryption to deal with as well as running background software.

That's why I would ask the future developer (if any) and the same counts for the normal DS or any other multi-screen emulators to allow holding the switch vertically, would make use of a lot more screenspace, people can make a makeshift kickstand to allow easier use also...

Backspace696

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
If think about emulation capabilities on Switch, it's most likely CAN emulate consoles up to ps2/gamecube/dreamcast. Also handheld consoles up to Nintendo DS (my Nexus 7 2012 on Tegra 3 run DS emulator at full speed without any problem, so). What about 3DS? I don't know, maybe Switch ABLE to handle this, maybe not.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Gamecube: I'm not sure but apparently Nintendo will get virtual console on it so....
3DS: not sure, may be slow, but doable
Wii: I THINK (checking the hardware -> maybe)
Wii U: Not sure (checking the hardware -> maybe)

(correct me if I'm wrong)
srs this post is pure ignorance lol wiiu maybe? are you srs? to emulate a console you need to have hardware 5 times more power on the cpu at minimum, how did you check wiiu cpu wich is tricore cpu at 1.24 ghz and then checked the the switch cpu wich is a quadcore 1ghz cpu and said maybe? lol

srs everyone awnsering in this thred is delusional.

First off the wiiu wii and gc are all PPC architeture the switch uses ARM so running emulators on ppc is already really pushy the best the switch might do is GC and thats it it will never run wii fullspeed let alone wiiu.

it will run ds and 3ds if an emulator is writen from scratch since switch is ARM and ds and 3ds too so you dont need to emulate architeture wich makes an emulator much less heavy.

Reactions: Medveitsi

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
srs everyone awnsering in this thred is delusional.
Meh on generalizations.
I think this thread is quite a good mix of people on LSD and clean people trying to reason with them but failing to reattach their feet to the ground.
I would say 50/50 actually.

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
All in all, If you wish to have a rough idea on what the switch may be able to emulate and at which approximate speed, Look at emulation on other devices which have the Tegra X1 (Such as the google pixel c tablet, Nvidia Shield console) - Which is based on the same SOC as the switch. Single core performance is important for emulation. Tegra X1 in Geekbench 4 for example has a single core performance overall as 1300.. Compare this with a decent intel I3/I5/I7 which reaches the 4000...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
All in all, If you wish to have a rough idea on what the switch may be able to emulate and at which approximate speed, Look at emulation on other devices which have the Tegra X1 (Such as the google pixel c tablet, Nvidia Shield console) - Which is based on the same SOC as the switch. Single core performance is important for emulation. Tegra X1 in Geekbench 4 for example has a single core performance overall as 1300.. Compare this with a decent intel I3/I5/I7 which reaches the 4000...
the diference is the switch cpu cores are only 1 ghz each and people keep comparing it to shield thing wich has 2ghz cores since nintendo halved the cpu for the switch and they dont realize it.

Reactions: nmkd and DrkBeam

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the diference is the switch cpu cores are only 1 ghz each and people keep comparing it to shield thing wich has 2ghz cores since nintendo halved the cpu for the switch and they dont realize it.
But in reality, as analysed somewhere, the 2GHz cores on the Shield are a marketing fallacy pulled out by Nvidia.
The cores throttle down to 1GHz most of the time due to overheat and in practice they end up performing on average like the ones one the Switch.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're comparing Dolphin, an emulator with devs that have been in the emulation scene for over a decade and have developed an emulator thought to be near impossible, to Citra which has hardly been under any sort of such development for the past couple years. Dolphin now has native LLE without the need of a BIOS or DSP dump, where Citra can't achieve that low level (yet). Learn how emulators work before assuming good specs = good emulation.

Dolphin doesn't even need the LLE audio plugin anymore, except for like, one game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Psi's still profiting off his meth sales.