What's PS2's Memory Card's max memory?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
According to Wikipedia, there are third-party 128 MB PS2 MCs. I was told to only use the official 8 MB ones. I used a 64 MB Datel Max Memory MC but it corrupted some of my game saves. Also, according to Wikipedia, Sony partnered with a third-party accessories company called Katana to make Memory Cards that came in 16 MB and 32 MB, so should the latter be bought?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Segger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had one of these 64 meg card that's worked for years and never corrupted any of my saves but it's actually noticeably slower than an official 8mb card.

I remember being warned years ago from a family member who worked at a game store that cards like these aren't reliable and can become corrupted so I've always been weary of it dying but I guess I've lucked out since I've had it for well over a decade now and it still has my oldest stuff.

I wouldn't recommend since I guess they can have inconsistent speeds and the bigger they are, the more potential data you'll lose unless you're doing regular save file backups over ftp which is fairly laborious.

Besides, last I checked OEM memory cards are fairly cheap and available second-hand, especially at local used game shops since any time they get a PS2 console traded in there are bound to be some memory cards that come along with it. And they'll typically just sell one per system.

iu

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've had one of these 64 meg card that's worked for years and never corrupted any of my saves but it's actually noticeably slower than an official 8mb card.

I remember being warned years ago from a family member who worked at a game store that cards like these aren't reliable and can become corrupted so I've always been weary of it dying but I guess I've lucked out since I've had it for well over a decade now and it still has my oldest stuff.

I wouldn't recommend since I guess they can have inconsistent speeds and the bigger they are, the more potential data you'll lose unless you're doing regular save file backups over ftp which is fairly laborious.

Besides, last I checked OEM memory cards are fairly cheap and available second-hand, especially at local used game shops since any time they get a PS2 console traded in there are bound to be some memory cards that come along with it. And they'll typically just sell one per system.

iu

Could you tell me what do you mean by being noticeably slower than the official 8 MC? Are the 8 MB the fastest among all Katana and third-party MCs, and if so, in what sense?

Segger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you tell me what do you mean by being noticeably slower than the official 8 MB Memory Card? Are the 8 MB the fastest among all Katana and third-party Memory Cards, and if so, in what sense?
Yeah, saving and loading game saves actually takes a noticeably longer time when I use that card.

I've also used it for freemcboot and it causes booting or loading .elf files to take a number of seconds longer than when I would use an 8mb card. I haven't done enough testing to tell you anything about the katana or other third party cards just that in my case my 64mb one is far slower than an oem.

I don't have my PS2 hooked up atm and I have to head to work or I would do some tests but again that could just be my particular card. I do remember it always being slower so I don't think it's slowed due to age although I guess that's possible too.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, saving and loading game saves actually takes a noticeably longer time when I use that card.

I've also used it for freemcboot and it causes booting or loading .elf files to take a number of seconds longer than when I would use an 8mb card. I haven't done enough testing to tell you anything about the katana or other third party cards just that in my case my 64mb one is far slower than an oem.

I don't have my PS2 hooked up atm and I have to head to work or I would do some tests but again that could just be my particular card. I do remember it always being slower so I don't think it's slowed due to age although I guess that's possible too.

Actually, I used the official 8 MB official MC for FMCB and the 64 MB Datel Max Memory MC for game saves (and another 8 MB MC for game saves which the 64 MB Datel Max Memory MC has problems with).

I've read other comments saying the official 8 MB MC was faster than third-parties MCs so you may be right.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good morning.:)

According to Wikipedia, there are third-party 128 MB PS2 Memory Cards. I was told to only use the official 8 MB. I used a Intec 64 MB but it corrupted some of my game saves.

There are such "funny" Cards like these:

61epZ-LEqpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

with Switch to have 256 MB and I have read for a 512 MB Card too (but never saw it)...

Rational ?
Maybe,if you want to have all Homebrew and Virtual Saves on a Memory Card.
For REAL PlayStation 2 Saves ? NEVER I would use that Kind and Size.....
From personal Experience (128 MB):
6,7 Times used - then it goes right to the Bin.....

If you need that Thrill that all Tools and Saves are still there or not corrupted after each switching on / off,then please,you can use such Memory Cards without hesitation.

Using such 64 MB Cards:

149967-l0.jpg

They can work very nice and good.And reliable.....can.
I have 2 of these,but today I do no longer use it.
All Tools / Shortcuts (except the needed FMCB Files) are on the HDD.
But,from personal Experience,you can have Luck with them,they are very good.

16 MB (Datel):
Worked good and reliable until today.

32 MB:
I have never used that Size.So,very,very sorry,I can not give a personal Experience Report for them.

For me,today,I only use SONY Original Memory Cards,the good,old,reliable 8 MB Size.

Also, according to Wikipedia, Sony partnered with a third-party accessories company Katana to make Memory Cards that came in 16 MB and 32 MB, so should I buy the latter?
It seems this one is one of that you have mentioned,the Product Site links to the SONY Store on Amazon.:)

SONY 32 MB Memory Card ?

Thank you.😊

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Good morning.:)

There are such "funny" Cards like these:

View attachment 308596

with Switch to have 256 MB and I have read for a 512 MB Card too (but never saw it)...

Rational ?
Maybe,if you want to have all Homebrew and Virtual Saves on a Memory Card.
For REAL PlayStation 2 Saves ? NEVER I would use that Kind and Size.....
From personal Experience (128 MB):
6,7 Times used - the it goes right to the Bin.....

If you need that Thrill that all Tools and Saves are still there or not corrupted after each switching on / off,then please,you can use such Memory Cards without hesitation.

Using such 64 MB Cards:

View attachment 308600

They can work very nice and good.And reliable.....can.
I have 2 of these,but today I do no longer use it.
All Tools / Shortcuts (except the needed FMCB Files) are on the HDD.
But,from personal Experience,you can have Luck with them,they are very good.

16 MB (Datel):
Worked good and reliable until today.

32 MB:
I have never used that Size.So,very,very sorry,I can not give a personal Experience Report for them.

For me,today,I only use SONY Original Memory Cards,the good,old,reliable 8 MB Size.

It seems this one is one of that you have mentioned,the Product Site links to the SONY Store on Amazon.:)

SONY 32 MB Memory Card ?

Thank you.😊

I have that blue 64 MB Datel Max Memory MC and I had problems with some game saves. Are you sure that's a Katana MC? I don't see anything saying "Katana".

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1