What's your favorite operating system of all time and why?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Windows 7. I'd say Windows 10 but I don't like how settings are scattered around between the Modern UI and the classic one. Some settings were moved, some weren't, and some new settings were added, and it's confusing. They really need to consolidate everything for Windows 11. Also not a big fan of telemetry that can't be disabled officially but at least 3rd party tools exist for it.
For the most part I like Windows 10 but if Windows 7 was going to continue to be updated and supported with new features and it had full compatibility with new software I would stick to that.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Solus Linux is hands down my favorite. I have distrohopped for well over 11 years before I settled with Solus last year. It's mostly just the everything about the distro that makes me love it. It's stable, has all the software I need, and the team behind is extremely friendly/approachable. It actually feels like how a Linux distro is supposed to feel.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows XP. Had some great times on that os. It also helped that it was compatible with pretty much everything I was trying to run at the time without having to bullshit with settings or (even worse) find a workaround to get an old game to run.

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows XP. Just nostalgic reasons when I was but a mere little one drawing on Paint, playing video games from those flash websites, and making low budget videos of finding Freddy Krueger in San Andreas with the X files theme song, in Movie Maker.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Windows XP SP3 first and foremost, because of how damn reliable it was and I literally never had a single issue in 12 years I used it for. Next up would be XP SP2 because it sacrificed some of the SP3's libraries in order to make it MUCH lighter without it become any unreliable. Finally, 7 because it's the most recent one that isn't a complete pain to use like the stupid metro in 8/8.1 or the scattered settings/locked out things/way too much tracking by MS Win 10 has:angry::glare:

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 7 Sp1 because I have full control of it. Tried 8 tried 10 and hated them. You know how microshaft says that new Coffee lake processors only supported on win 10. well they just mean technical support. You can indeed still use win 7 for all new processors from intel. I've installed win 7 from usb with nvme support and works perfectly.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Windows 7 Sp1 because I have full control of it. Tried 8 tried 10 and hated them. You know how microshaft says that new Coffee lake processors only supported on win 10. well they just mean technical support. You can indeed still use win 7 for all new processors from intel. I've installed win 7 from usb with nvme support and works perfectly.
I gotta ask, example or not, why even bother with Intel processors anymore? It's so hard to keep track of what features they intentionally locked out of them just to get you to buy the most expensive ones, it's not even worth the trouble:/ Some don't read more than 2 or 4 sticks of RAM, others don't have RAID support and so on, with only the REALLY expensive ones supporting everything! Just go with AMD all the way:P

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I've gotta go with macOS. It has everything Linux and BSD have coupled with proprietary software. It's also probably the most convenient OS I've ever used.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: Primalus

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None. They're all pretty horrible. I mostly blame the hardware, though. At the point most performance critical hardware supports virtualization we will be able to pick and choose which good enough OS to use for each task. Until then, we're left to choose an OS and virtualize/emulate badly another when appropriate.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to say XP, but using an outdated MSN Messenger got my hotmail hacked. Sometimes the network would glitch and I'd go to "repair" it and it would replace the okay button with cancel and it'd do nothing. Windows 7 is currently my favorite OS with Linux Mint being 2nd.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Until then, we're left to choose an OS and virtualize/emulate badly another when appropriate.
I see you've only used Windows for the majority of your life. And even if you've used Linux, you know the pain of being without your Windows specific applications. This is why I went to macOS. Don't get me wrong. I wholeheartedly despise Apple as a corporation, but their desktop OS is top-notch. I know "muh games" is a constant argument against this OS, but Parallels and pass through have come a long way.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge