• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What's your general opinion of Christianity?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 23,968
  • Replies 332
  • Likes 2

Ratatattat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, the last 5 are great. The first 5 aren't any help.

#You can't prove there is a god, so what do you expect us to believe?

You can't prove there isn't so it would appear we are in the same boat.
I have never said there was a GOD. I just asked those who stated there is NO GOD to prove it.

#I thought the bible was supposed to be the word of god, why would the writers scientific knowledge be relevant?

Because it was written to be understood by those of that time and understanding. Many things were magical to them.

#Maybe god was testing you, like when he hid the dinosaur bones in the ground?

Maybe GOD is testing you since you cannot prove he doesn't exist.
Maybe that's why there a quarter of a nano second that even science doesn't understand.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

I have never said there was a GOD. I just asked those who stated there is NO GOD to prove it.

#I thought the bible was supposed to be the word of god, why would the writers scientific knowledge be relevant?

Because it was written to be understood by those of that time and understanding. Many things were magical to them.

#Maybe god was testing you, like when he hid the dinosaur bones in the ground?

Maybe that's why there a quarter of a nano second that even science doesn't understand.
we proved about as much as there's to prove, but the maxic out of nowhere new world...
you've got all prove there, but you keep pushing new ideas with no base, to keep searchin for a little, i can't even call it desperate, hope.
you're using arguments that can be used on dracula, dragins, uniquehorns and whatever more.
as we agree this universe is the universe, then there's no god, not even in your idea...
we can surely find reasons to say maybe there's more, but that still will not ever mean there might be a god...
magic should be put back in the fairytale books, and not take innocent lives.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It is not in the same boat at all.

The idea of a god existing outside of time, space, life, death and reality but somehow caring about all those and not providing abundant evidence of it despite it being trivial (if that is even a meaningful term for them) is an absolutely absurd idea.

You know what else is an absurd idea. The feather I just picked out of my keyboard will cure cancer (all of them, all the different cancer cells and undo all the damage they cause before then). The onus would be on me to prove it. Nobody needs to waste any time considering it or debunking it as it is so ridiculous. You don't have to give an credence to those that believe in the feather.

I also feel the need to mention again there are millions of documented belief systems and infinite potential ones. Most of those conflict with one another as well. How does one resolve this?

As for the other part. So it is a fallible human book then, not one written by a divine being (and somehow able to be translated), not one that is supposed to be useful for all time to guide our lives and civilisations? OK then let's put it aside and develop something better.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

No we aren't in the same boat. You believe god without evidence, we disbelieve in god because there is compelling evidence that there is no god.

Absolute rubbish argument made up by people who believe in god & tell it to other people who believe in god.

God wouldn't say things wrong just because people were stupid, the whole point about the bible is to educate people.

You really think god is that patronising?

No, he's not testing me because there is no god. Prove https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster doesn't exist.

Science has done a pretty good job at explaining a lot, but of course it can't tell you what happened at the start of the universe because nobody was around as we hadn't evolved yet. The description of creation in the bible is just ridiculous, I'm sure you'll argue that god just lied because people were stupid. I wouldn't even want a god who acts like that.

Last edited by smf,

Ratatattat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not in the same boat at all.

The idea of a god existing outside of time, space, life, death and reality but somehow caring about all those and not providing abundant evidence of it despite it being trivial (if that is even a meaningful term for them) is an absolutely absurd idea.

You know what else is an absurd idea. The feather I just picked out of my keyboard will cure cancer (all of them, all the different cancer cells and undo all the damage they cause before then). The onus would be on me to prove it. Nobody needs to waste any time considering it or debunking it as it is so ridiculous. You don't have to give an credence to those that believe in the feather.

I also feel the need to mention again there are millions of documented belief systems and infinite potential ones. Most of those conflict with one another as well. How does one resolve this?

As for the other part. So it is a fallible human book then, not one written by a divine being (and somehow able to be translated), not one that is supposed to be useful for all time to guide our lives and civilisations? OK then let's put it aside and develop something better.

Just because you can imagine absurd ideas in no way proves anything.
But, still, no matter how absurd to you the idea of a GOD in no way is a proof or evidence that a GOD could not be.
No we aren't in the same boat. You believe god without evidence, we disbelieve in god because there is compelling evidence that there is no god.

Absolute rubbish argument made up by people who believe in god & tell it to other people who believe in god.

God wouldn't say things wrong just because people were stupid, the whole point about the bible is to educate people.

You really think god is that patronising?

No, he's not testing me because there is no god. Prove https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster doesn't exist.

Science has done a pretty good job at explaining a lot, but of course it can't tell you what happened at the start of the universe because nobody was around as we hadn't evolved yet. The description of creation in the bible is just ridiculous, I'm sure you'll argue that god just lied because people were stupid. I wouldn't even want a god who acts like that.

So you believe that if the Bible wasn't written with E=MC2 and that makes it rubbish. You obviously don't get that it had to be understandable for those of its time. Your confusing terminology with scientific accuracy. Of course 2000 years ago people didn't understand E=MC2. The description of the beginning is accurate relative to the terminology of the time. Is it scientifically accurate with today's knowledge, no. Doesn't mean it was a lie just means it was written to the understanding of the time.
You keep avoiding any proof with opinionated statements so it remains 'unproven' and thus 'possible'.
Since you cannot tell me what happened in the beginning how can you then state factually that it wasn't a GOD who created the universe. You can't.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But, still, no matter how absurd to you the idea of a GOD in no way is a proof or evidence that a GOD could not be.

But still more likely than GOD existing.

So you believe that if the Bible wasn't written with E=MC2 and that makes it rubbish. You obviously don't get that it had to be understandable for those of its time.

So gods own creation was too fragile to hear that dinosaurs came before adam and eve?

I wonder why he didn't create a more robust human being? Is it like people who go into relationships with those weaker than themselves, so they can control them?

Most American christians follow a religion that was invented 500 years ago, which is kinda.

Is it scientifically accurate with today's knowledge, no. Doesn't mean it was a lie just means it was written to the understanding of the time.

And when your wife finds sexy underwear that isn't hers on the back seat of your car and you try to explain how you're not having an affair, doesn't mean it's not a lie. But on the balance of probability, yes it's a lie.

If god had spent a few minutes to explain a bit of history, rather than waste time telling us how eve was made from adams rib, then we wouldn't be in this mess.

You keep avoiding any proof with opinionated statements so it remains 'unproven' and thus 'possible'.

You are being disingenuous. It's as impossible for me to disprove god as you can disprove https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster. Sure you could claim the FSM was made up by Bobby Henderson, but the FSM may have used his noodly appendages to cause Bobby to think he was making it up while he is in fact real. Maybe FSM used satire to reveal himself, because humanity isn't ready to know his true self yet.

My theory is just as possible as yours. You think yours is more correct because loads of people also believe it, but mass delusions are very common. How you feel about GOD existing is a very poor indication of whether he exists.

Since you cannot tell me what happened in the beginning how can you then state factually that it wasn't a GOD who created the universe. You can't.

But it probably wasn't YOUR god. Statistically speaking you are pretty much guaranteed to be worshipping the wrong one. It's only an accident of where you were born that decides which religion you are indoctrinated into. Religion is all about controlling money.

You are of course sweeping the most important thing under the carpet, god didn't create the universe in the "beginning". The beginning must then be when god was created. If god always existed, then why can't the universe have always existed? Ocums razor tells us that this is most likely.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Ratatattat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But still more likely than GOD existing.

So gods own creation was too fragile to hear that dinosaurs came before adam and eve?

I wonder why he didn't create a more robust human being? Is it like people who go into relationships with those weaker than themselves, so they can control them?

And when your wife finds sexy underwear that isn't hers on the back seat of your car and you try to explain how you're not having an affair, doesn't mean it's not a lie. But on the balance of probability, yes it's a lie.

If god had spent a few minutes to explain a bit of history, rather than waste time telling us how eve was made from adams rib, then we wouldn't be in this mess.

You are being disingenuous. It's as impossible for me to disprove god as you can disprove https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster. Sure you could claim the FSM was made up by Bobby Henderson, but the FSM may have used his noodly appendages to cause Bobby to think he was making it up while he is in fact real. Maybe FSM used satire to reveal himself, because humanity isn't ready to know his true self yet.

My theory is just as possible as yours. You think yours is more correct because loads of people also believe it, but mass delusions are very common. How you feel about GOD existing is a very poor indication of whether he exists.

But it probably wasn't YOUR god. Statistically speaking you are pretty much guaranteed to be worshipping the wrong one. It's only an accident of where you were born that decides which religion you are indoctrinated into.

You are of course sweeping the most important thing under the carpet, god didn't create the universe in the "beginning". The beginning must then be when god was created. If god always existed, then why can't the universe have always existed? Ocums razor tells us that this is most likely.

I never said there was a GOD.
I only asked that someone prove factually that there isn't.
Until then the possibility there could be holds true.
Maybe the universe has always existed, doesn't prove either way about a GOD.
Its can be your opinion there is no GOD, But opinions are just that, not facts.
Just like you say I have no scientific evidence there is a GOD, you don't have evidence that there isn't.

As for statistics:
A simple Metrix:
"There may or may not be a GOD:
I may or may not believe in him.
The only way I can lose is if there is a GOD and I do not believe in him."

Pascal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except it's not even understandable today. Even the NIV is written in riddles. People study the Bible for years and years, and none of them can agree on what any of it actually means. Any interpretations of the Bible are based on the interpreter's confirmation bias. If you hold a belief, you can probably point to a verse of the bible and say that supports it, because it is often so vague and cryptic, it's easy to do. Your detractors could also point to other verses and say those contradict your belief, or even that your interpretation is incorrect. You would think God would impart some divine knowledge so people would stop messing up his holy word. People's souls could be at stake right?

Ratatattat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except it's not even understandable today. Even the NIV is written in riddles. People study the Bible for years and years, and none of them can agree on what any of it actually means. Any interpretations of the Bible are based on the interpreter's confirmation bias. If you hold a belief, you can probably point to a verse of the bible and say that supports it, because it is often so vague and cryptic, it's easy to do. Your detractors could also point to other verses and say those contradict your belief, or even that your interpretation is incorrect. You would think God would impart some divine knowledge so people would stop messing up his holy word. People's souls could be at stake right?

And translated a million times into what is written today. Your correct no one today really understands it.
It was written by man with all its manlike imperfections.
From what I understand there is no GOD like requirement to understand the Bible.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

So you believe that if the Bible wasn't written with E=MC2 and that makes it rubbish. You obviously don't get that it had to be understandable for those of its time. Your confusing terminology with scientific accuracy. Of course 2000 years ago people didn't understand E=MC2. The description of the beginning is accurate relative to the terminology of the time. Is it scientifically accurate with today's knowledge, no. Doesn't mean it was a lie just means it was written to the understanding of the time.

It was not a counter proof but a demonstration of the logic used to say why you don't need to take the wishy washy "oh well everybody has their own ideas and they are all equally valid" route and it is a rational and logical option to say gods do not exist. Pending evidence of a god existing there is no reason to say they do.

As for science stuff. If it is just a man written philosophy book full of metaphors then OK. However for well over a thousand years in essentially every branch* of Christianity they would have claimed, and still claim, that it was the word of said god and in many cases what happened to cause things to happen. There is metaphor and abstraction in the bible so I would say the strict literalist interpretations are silly but there are also claims with absolutely no scientific merit that you would be hard pressed to dismiss as metaphor and abstraction.

*if memory serves the earliest coptics tended to figure it reasonable advice, just a story book and all that, and went from there. However Roman Catholic, the various Orthodox movements, the various protestant movements... will also claim it is a divinely written book.

burial

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gandhi disputably has said something along the lines of, "I love your Christ, but not your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike Christ." While people can argue on whether or not he actually said that, it pretty much sums up my feelings. If you're a Christian and preach your religion, and actually follow those teachings of love and tolerance, I think that's just fine. It's when you start beating people overhead with the Bible that I get mad.

According to the new testament jesus is a massive cunt......

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about shit related to the Bible per se. I've been forced to grow up in a Christian household that, while not as strict as other households in my denomination (even though they wouldn't identify as a denomination, based on my investigations, they only do so to avoid getting into big trouble, IMHO), they still get triggered like the college snowflakes that the pastors speak so condescendingly towards, except it's over stuff like "Happy Holidays" as opposed to people saying Merry Christmas even though the holiday itself was essentially named such to appease the other religions that Catholicism was trying to replace, and over other such important things in life like music having a syncopatic beat (translation: rock music, which is what they call all "bad" music, including rap, metal, techno, country, and even CCM (Contemporary Christian Music)), and will tell you turn everything off if they hear a swear word. All in the name of raising new children in the "name of the Lord Jesus Christ to use them as arrows against the Satanic culture (this is known as Quiverfull culture, and only the fundamentalists in Christianity I'm aware of actually live this lifestyle. Yes, this is the kind of lifestyle the Duggars, even with Josh, promote as being somehow superior to all other family lifestyles, defending mistakes like Josh as "well, we're all sinners, and if you don't forgive the one who offended you, you're just bitter and need to get right with God. Just wanted to toss this out there)" where they still are the majority religion in the nation, aren't persecuted like any openly non-atheists in China, non-Muslims in any country in the Middle East not named Israel, and would love a persecution complex film like God's Not Dead 1 and 2 or War Room.

Worst of all, they also take issue with people like yours truly playing games like Grand Theft Auto, Yakuza, or Shin Megami Tensei (if they knew what the gist of most of the games in the franchise are, in essence) because Christians are to avoid of the "appearance of evil," even if they have no friends even at church because if someone else knows about what your parents consider to be "dirty laundry," then they might say something to someone else and get me into big trouble and have me toss the game/movies (movies would be more likely as they are more familiar with those) that I paid with money that I worked hard for away.

All in all, I have a very dishonest relationship with my parents and others because of this. I mean, how can one have an honest relationship when they're having to walk on eggshells to avoid triggering someone? Hence, why I said they act no differently from those they claim to criticize, except it's OK because they're trying to preach to people the truth of the Word of God, that their relationships outside of marriage are immoral, that men "acting/looking/sounding feminine" are sissies and that they need to be all masculine while women need to be submissive, know their place, and not "act masculine."

What I'm describing is definitely the worst of the fundamentalist culture that I've been forced to grow up in until today. While I'm not definitely out of it yet, I'm working towards making a bright future for not just myself but whoever my future waifu may be, where I can be independent of my family and anyone else inside of the culture. To say the reasons I hate it are also because of some events that happened personally to yours truly would be the understatement of my life atm!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

And I've asked that you prove factually that there isn't an FSM, but you've been unable to.

It's possible, like it's possible that ghosts exist. The possibility is very low though, too low for me to join one of these cults.

Well if the universe has always existed then god doesn't need to exist, because god is just a hand waving exercise to explain away the creation of the universe.

Once the universe exists then evolution takes care of the rest.

Just like you say I have no scientific evidence there is a GOD, you don't have evidence that there isn't.

The evidence you require is impossible to exist, the convention is therefore to disbelieve it until you can prove there is a GOD. The argument you are pushing is dishonest.

I find that repulsive and repugnant. Lots of people have died because of their belief in GOD.

I'm certainly not going to delude myself purely to get into heaven. I'd probably pick the wrong one anyway and the second commandment is clear that believing the wrong GOD is a bad thing. Statistically being an atheist is likely to put me in a better position.

Last edited by smf,

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Its can be your opinion there is no GOD, But opinions are just that, not facts.

As for statistics:
A simple Metrix:
"There may or may not be a GOD:
I may or may not believe in him.

Pascal
Pascal's wager doesn't solve the inminent "there are thousand of religions and they contradict each other" problem.
Pascal's wager isn't a proof.

Ratatattat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pascal's wager doesn't solve the inminent "there are thousand of religions and they contradict each other" problem.
Pascal's wager isn't a proof.

Never stated to be a proof simply a choice metric.
Stating there are thousands of religions is irrelevant as in general most religious persons do not participate in more than one religion.
So the choice is relevant to them in their particular religious choice.

Mitch0305

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no such thing as a "god" or a "sign of god" and the bible is fake same as koran and stuff the only real thing is hallucination and beings from outer space

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Memories are a physical part of your brain, which stays on earth when you die. Your memories do not tranfer to the clouds like video game saves. Just because we have life now, does not mean we are entitled to having an afterlife. Some things are not comprehensible by us and religions seem to be made just to put opinionated reasoning to these mysteries.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!