What's your most cherished and favorite childhood cartoon?

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
There's so many members of varying ages here, so we've all grown up in different parts of the world at different generations, but there's usually something that most people do as a child--and that's watching ridiculous amounts of TV.

So that begs the question; which kids cartoon was, and still might be, your very favorite? From Looney Tunes, to He-Man, to Ducktales, to Rugrats, and Sesame Street, and thousands more--which one is the best?

(I mean moreso as things meant for those at a younger age, but can be enjoyed by anyone. So, things like King of the Hill, Rick and Morty, etc, are excluded.)

If I had to give an answer, I'd probably give it up to Animaniacs. It had an awesome theme song, great humor, and it's virtually timeless. You can go back and watch every episode and still laugh to this day. Runners-up are definitely Rugrats or Batman TAS.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think EEK! the Cat.
Then again, Mad Jack the Pirate was also good as is Iznogoud.
Courage the cowardly dog is one of the later ones that I like.
Hey Arnold, Ed Edd n Eddy, Angry Beavers are also a few good ones.

I stopped watching "cartoons" right around the early 00's ;/

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are so many worth mentioning ...
Ducktales, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Inspector Gadget, Silverhawks, Garfield, Heathcliff, Batman TAS, Xmen, Dexters Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, ... there are others but it’s late :unsure:

Reactions: Chary

MurraySkull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are so many worth mentioning ...
Ducktales, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Inspector Gadget, Silverhawks, Garfield, Heathcliff, Batman TAS, Xmen, Dexters Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, ... there are others but it’s late :unsure:
Don't forget Rescue Rangers and Gargoyles!

D

Deleted User

my most favorite childhood cartoons are: rocko's modern life, The Ren & Stimpy Show, clone high.
everything else is anime so i don't know if its count.
there are also many "cartoon network" cartoons i watched and very liked. cartoons like Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog. but those 3 cartoons that i mentioned first are my most favorite.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
80's (early to late 80's):
Chapi Chapo, stop motion made with dough
Emilie Jolie, they did a CG remake in in 2015
Yakari
Bouba
Tchaou and grodo
L'oiseau bleu
Donjon et dragon
Il etait une fois.... La vie

and too much to list all the 80's and 90's I watched :P (cobra, master of universe, Ulysse, Jayce, cat's eyes, city hunter, candy candy, goldorak, dragon ball, ken, etc.)
counting only the small childhood (3 to 10 years old).

If I had to pick only one, then one of my favorite of all time is The mysterious Cities of gold. No age limit to (re)watch it.

More older (more my parent's generation, but I knew it in color !)
Le Manège enchanté, another stop motion, very old (60's)
I didn't see it a lot, so it's not a very cherished one.

Last edited by Cyan,

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the liberty of being born in the 90s so all my favorite cartoons/anime are a mix of the 80's - 00's plus some classics. I can't choose ONE though.

Here's my list:
Looney Tunes
Tom and Jerry (I hate Chuck Jones' artstyle)
Duck Dodgers
Scooby Doo (Loved the original and Scrappy Doo Series)
A Pup named Scooby Doo
Pokemon (I still remember the intros)
Digimon Adventure ("D..D.. Digimon")
Rugrats
Batman The Animated Series (Dark Deco Artstyle is SICK!)
Batman Beyond
Superman The Animated Series
Teen Titans (if I see another Go clip!!)
Tiny Toons
Animaniacs ("Helllooooo Nurse")
Dexter's Laboratory
Powerpuff Girls
Ed Edd n Eddy
Johnny Bravo
Courage The Cowardly Dog ("Return The Slab")
Cow and Chicken
Grim Adventures
Kids Next Door
Jetsons
Flintstones
Wacky Races
Yu-Gi-Oh (Gawd the money I spent)
Static Shock
Ronin Warriors
Saint Seiya
Dragon Ball (Z)
Samurai Jack
FLCL
Samurai Champloo
Trigun
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit G Gundam (School of the Undefeated of the East!!!)
Gundam Wing
The Boondocks

Now you see why I can't choose just one.. EVERY ONE of these shows marks a time and memory that I cherish to this day. I'm a sucker for nostalgia. I was never a Disney kid... Cartoon Network, WB Kids and FOX Kids all Day!!

Last edited by gman666,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I saw most of the Marvel cartoons of the 80s and 90s (also 60s spiderman was still on TV, I think just before Rawhide, so I also saw that), indeed it is the only reason I know anything of the characters (nobody I knew at any level of school in the UK read comics past the age of about 6, and even those were incredibly rare). Nothing I will go back for though. Batman TAS is something I can respect but no real desire to go back for. If I am allowed films then obviously it is going to be the Transformers film, saw a few of the TV shows but never took to them as well.

Trapdoor was awesome, still is actually.

Sharky and George

Earthworm Jim I imagine has not aged well (even my younger self found it a bit formulaic) but I will include it here, also the German intro. I am not sure what I want to think about pirates of dark water other than to say I would like to see the story finished. The Real Ghostbusters also wants to be here.

Far later I had a great fondness for Malo Korrigan. Starship Troopers animated was also something I really enjoyed, pity it was cancelled before it concluded. I used to get up really early to watch Medabots, shame they nerfed it for the second series. Insektors also gets to be thrown in here somewhere. Ulysses 31 used to be on really early and while I can't say I watched it a lot many of the themes kind of stuck with me. I imagine if I finished my list I would probably have enjoyed more cartoons originally made in the French language than Cyan which I find amusing.

Never really went in for turtles, he-man, thundercats or toy sellers not already mentioned. Going for the later US offerings then Dexter's Lab is good stuff and generally I consider Genndy Tartakovsky as one of the better cartoon makers to ever walk the earth. Pinky and the Brain also needs a nod and while it has its moments of brilliance the signal to noise to get them...

"younger age, but can be enjoyed by anyone" makes this a bit harder, mainly as we used to watch all sorts of things and outside of Heavy Metal (the more interesting side of anime had not yet made it to the UK) most animated things were for everybody. There was always some outright subversive/slipping it past the censors elements but South Park was really broke it out of that (though I imagine some will want to credit Beavis and Butt-head instead, never made as great an impact in the UK as few really had satellite/cable at the time, actually I don't know if cable was even installed by then). If I am including a couple of those then I will throw in Stressed Eric as many seem to have forgotten that which is a shame.

Beyond that there are many things I can remember well enough but have no great fondness for, or things I watched as I had siblings and knew something better would be on later and a fight over the channel would be more hassle than it was worth.

Seeing all this here though it turns out I really liked sci fi as a kid. Never really considered it before. Wonder if it resulted in me ending up the way I did or if that was determined earlier.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My absolute favorite has to be Courage the Cowardly Dog, but I used to love Tom and Jerry before I had seen it all multiple times.
Also loved Oggy and the Cockroaches (basically a Tom and Jerry clone but a damn good one that I feel is more varied, and the characters are more interesting too)
Other than that, not much comes to mind that really stood out. I guess Pokemon when it first came out, before it got repetitive. Loved the Digimon anime for a while too, but it was ruined for me by the channel (cartoon network I believe) showing the same 1 or 2 seasons repeatedly for years before finally showing another season, at which point I had lost interest a bit. And then when they took another couple years to show the next season after that, I gave up.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D