Hardware What's Your Opinion on the 3DS Design?

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
giratina16 said:
I like the placement of the headphone port. Because I have OCD it's quite annoying that my DSi isn't symmetrical but the 3DS is.

What? That's the only flaw with it.

I actually use my DSi for music. The port on the DSi is positioned so the wire goes right out of my pocket. With it in the middle, it's going to suck. I REALLY hope they change it.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
neonstone said:
06-15-103dspress.jpg

since the console at e3 is a prototype one..
changes can still be done..

here's my take:

i hope 3ds is more of a box type like the XL..

not like the polygon thingy like what we saw at e3..

matte finish is also a plus for me..

the 3d slider looks flimsy to me.. very breakable..

what's yours?

you are aware thats just the prototype right?
check this out.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=233...=0#entry2915733

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
awssk8er said:
giratina16 said:
I like the placement of the headphone port. Because I have OCD it's quite annoying that my DSi isn't symmetrical but the 3DS is.

What? That's the only flaw with it.

I actually use my DSi for music. The port on the DSi is positioned so the wire goes right out of my pocket. With it in the middle, it's going to suck. I REALLY hope they change it.
No I'm saying the fact it's in the middle makes it symmetrical which makes me happy. Most people have MP3 players/iPods now. Plus the volume isn't very high even with my designer in-ear headphones by Lady Gaga.

Sorry if none of this post makes sense, it's 3AM and I'm very tired, I just can't be bothered to go to bed.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
t377y000 said:
neonstone said:

here's my take:

what's yours?

you are aware thats just the prototype right?
check this out.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=233...=0#entry2915733
You aware that he is already aware right?

dhjohn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like it. Headphone jack could stay or be moved, it doesn't bother me. Same with power button.

The only thing I'd want changed is to make the screens the same size. I hope the buttons act like the dsi's. I like the click feel.

PikaPerson01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microphone. Put it in the middle like the previous four DSes.

Power button. I liked the Power Switch thing from the Lite.

Maybe move the headphone jack... I rarely ever use headphones anyway so I'm not too bothered by it.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone else think that the 3DS prototype already looks like a finished product? I mean, it definitely looks a lot more sleek and shiny, similar to the actual DS phat rather than the DS prototype. Not to mention they already came up with different colors, so it gives off the impression that the current design is finalized.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Midna said:
giratina16 said:
I have Asperger's Syndrome. Symetry is nice.
smile.gif
I think I have an unconfirmed (and probably mild) case as well, but I like the ports as they are on the DSs. I don't mind it here though, either.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Im not really a fan of looks, couldn't care less how something looks, but to be completely honest when it first popped up on the live stream i was disgusted

my first complaint; it looks like a damn building brick, so much for convinience.

second complaint; those little button thingies at the button, they don't look like they will last long

third complaint; the slider looks like it will go over time

again i really can't criticize it now, but i will most probably wait it out for at least the 3DS2 ? i.e Nintendo's second revision of it.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it looks great and I love the colors! I wish it was as large as the DSi XL. I can't wait to see the 3d "in person." I don't know how long we will have to wait.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
I dont care much about the looks, as long as gameplay isn't affected so badly. (PSP)

I like the size.
I want the touch screen to be as wide as the top screen but maybe its for the best. Why?
Hardware capability to display 3D effect. The touch screen can't do that. So, most games can make the touchscreen only menus, maps, huds, etc. No overworld/general gameplay in there, so no point for 3D effect. No point in having wider touch screen.

D-pad and Analog pad on one side.... Uhhhhh, I imagine lots of circumstances when these will clash during gameplay:

Analog to control camera, d-pad to move? NO! (monster hunter PSP nightmare)
They could've put the analog/dpad below the face buttons and swap it with the power button....

Let's see...

EDIT:
I just realized, there is a protective film on the top section of the 3DS instead of just the top screen... Bad news for me.
This will cause problems while playing outside.

OGTiago

Trophies
Website
google.pt
XP
Country
neonstone said:
06-15-103dspress.jpg

here's my take:

what's yours?
Looks nice, a bit awkward looking as the screens aren't in the centre. But I guess that'll be easy to overlook.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
altorn said:
I dont care much about the looks, as long as gameplay isn't affected so badly. (PSP)

I like the size.
I want the touch screen to be as wide as the top screen but maybe its for the best. Why?
Hardware capability to display 3D effect. The touch screen can't do that. So, most games can make the touchscreen only menus, maps, huds, etc. No overworld/general gameplay in there, so no point for 3D effect. No point in having wider touch screen.

D-pad and Analog pad on one side.... Uhhhhh, I imagine lots of circumstances when these will clash during gameplay:

Analog to control camera, d-pad to move? NO! (monster hunter PSP nightmare)
They could've put the analog/dpad below the face buttons and swap it with the power button....

Let's see...

EDIT:
I just realized, there is a protective film on the top section of the 3DS instead of just the top screen... Bad news for me.
This will cause problems while playing outside.
It looks like a polarised film to give the 3D effect.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no opinion. Reggie stated it was only a demo model for devs and E3 to work with. The design has yet to be finalized. So til a design gets finalized my opinion stays blank.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
GentleFist said:
XL?
if it would be XL it would suck~ normal people want their gaming handheld to fit in their pockets with other things if you want a big clumpy thing go buy an iPad, im totally fine if they do release a XL version its not even unlikely but XL is just optional and thats the right thing

Design?
I dont think the design is bad the colors look really good actually~
~it looks a bit fat

the biggest MINUS is that it sucks totally when closed like the first ds, when you cloe the dsl or the dsi they close perfectly fine and it looks like its something complete like its one unit, but the original ds and the 3ds dont

the upper part of the 3DS is bigger which seriously sucks because it looks like shit when its not perfect when closed

but yea other than that it cool~

i would love to wait or a second version but ill probably buy it on release

all in all i give it a 7/10 on design~
the original ds fat was a 4/10 thats why i never bought it i only buy beautiful things
the ds lite is a 8/10 the dsi is even a 9/10~

all scores are based on design NOT gameplay or anything else
This.

Really when I saw the desing really, I directly thought of the Original DS desing. I was like, ok they have to make it like the recent DS's (DSi and the DS lite) Otherwise (which is good for Nintendo though) we have to buy a Lite version later on.
Besides it looks ugly if it remains the Original DS version.

But it turned out really well with the shine and colours they did pic.. heh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It seems too good to be true, but seeing nutterbutter comments, makes me think its good. But I'm already on new dash and think ill wait it out in see.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, I posted it and you thanked @SylverReZ you drunk lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not gonna use an script online to test, ill wait
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut? I'm drunk not me who?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Guess I was too famous.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ive only heard of the Durango dumps.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a video right above you lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You just connect....and your banned, next
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Must be drunk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope, California sober tonight
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Do they even upload older firmware where you can usb update if newer ones do come out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can update w USB but they only offer newest updates on they site, they don't give old like ps
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean an archive if a person wants to buy an older Xbox for the exploit
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think there is a way to archive older update files or no one's cared to so if patched already screwed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm still not sure how it works, but yea MS offers newest updates only, you can't find old
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I found a internet archive that's up to 2021 that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or if you are on on old fw, it won't let you online till u update to newest
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm still not getting that hyped over it I can play my pc game that I torrented with a torrent for Xbox that's the same game woo
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But yea @SylverReZ the Durango dumps have all I've heard of till now that was significant
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If they enable stealth online like the good old jtag days that'll be different
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    #BringBackGodModeOnline
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: #BringBackGodModeOnline