Hacking Question When will a free XCI Backup Loader be released?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 45,616
  • Replies 352
  • Likes 6

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The context "installation" is only to extract and copy the files of a game to the internal memory or to the MicroSD. The real danger is in the execution of these files, without prior verification, so NSP is like having a key that ensures that it is a clean NSP and you are on the right track, even if you have installed previous updates, you will not be able to execute again the game if you do not have this update or higher.

NSP uses a signed ticker. .XCI uses a fake ticket.
XCIs can also be signed.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you connect using Atmosphere online?
You can I just don't recommend it, I only dump/re inject my pkmn save file via cfw sysnand & emuMMC to keep both nands up to date basically with the same save file.
The emuMMC has incognito setup aswell, but I do go online with ofw sysnand to use my edited save.

Last edited by MasterJ360,
Reactions: Imancol

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
It's not recommended, and any use of CFW carries with it a ban risk, but if you're only using Atmosphere and certain homebrew applications, particularly offline, one might consider that to be relatively safe

Personally, I would only use CFW with a dirty NAND that's offline (or has Incognito or 90DNS installed).

If the NAND you're using has pirated titles, etc. installed to it, you're very likely going to get banned.
There is a file, if you have atmosphere, in "/ atmosphere / config_templates" called "system_settings.ini", of which in the first lines it says:

"; Disable uploading error reports to Nintendo
[eupld]
; upload_enabled = u8! 0x0 "

Which makes me wonder if it's possibly safe (to some degree).

I once, having CFW and having installed games, modified games, etc ..., I got into advanced system settings, where I select "Factory reset (Without deleting linked accounts, saved games, gallery ...) "and I was able to connect to Eshop and play online.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a file, if you have atmosphere, in "/ atmosphere / config_templates" called "system_settings.ini", of which in the first lines it says:

"; Disable uploading error reports to Nintendo
[eupld]
; upload_enabled = u8! 0x0 "

Which makes me wonder if it's possibly safe (to some degree).

I once, having CFW and having installed games, modified games, etc ..., I got into advanced system settings, where I select "Factory reset (Without deleting linked accounts, saved games, gallery ...) "and I was able to connect to Eshop and play online.
Error reports are only one kind of telemetry. If you want to avoid a ban, you should use all hacks with an emuMMC that has something like Incognito installed, and you should keep your sys eMMC clean.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow. some people are still waffling on about the NSP format being better than XCI files, These TX haters and that's all in comes down to, they say they don't care only because they don't have the option to use XCI files.

Please tell me how a file in NSP format is better than a Super XCI file ??? :wacko:

After 2 years of having the option to either use NSP or XCI files, I always go for the XCI first :)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. some people are still waffling on about the NSP format being better than XCI files, These TX haters and that's all in comes down to, they say they don't care only because they don't have the option to use XCI files.

Please tell me how a file in NSP format is better than a Super XCI file ??? :wacko:

After 2 years of having the option to either use NSP or XCI files, I always go for the XCI first :)
Assuming that's directed at me, I never said NSP files were better than XCI files, aside from my response to what @Rune mistakenly said about security.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming that's directed at me, I never said NSP files were better than XCI files, aside from my response to what @Rune mistakenly said about security.

you said most people don't care for XCI files, I'd say most people would care if they had the option to use them. I have the option and I care more for XCI files than NSP ones.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you said most people don't care for XCI files, I'd say most people would care if they had the option to use them. I have the option and I care more for XCI files than NSP ones.
Well, first, that's different than saying one is better than the other. Second, it appears most people don't care about XCI backups.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, first, that's different than saying one is better than the other. Second, it appears most people don't care about XCI backups.

of course XCI is better , that's why I try and only use XCI files, why would I want to use an inferior option ?

like I said the ones that don't care are mostly the ones who don't have the option to use both

We've been thru this many times, no one is going to change their mind, so i bid you a good evening :)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
of course XCI is better , that's why I try and only use XCI files, why would I want to use an inferior option ?

like I said the ones that don't care are mostly the ones who don't have the option to use both

We've been thru this many times, no one is going to change their mind, so i bid you a good evening :)
Aside from using mounted HDD storage, which ruins portability, XCI files have no advantage over NSP files.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
convenience, what a super XCI file that has the BASE file + UPDATES and DLC's in One single file is not better than 3 or more separate NSP files ?
I don't see how that's more convenient than NSP files. In addition, DLC and updates are subject to change over time, which seems incredibly inefficient.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if a new DLC or update is released, you just rebuild a new XCI.
You know whats really inefficient? Having to install all the various NSPs, then deleting everything in the future when you need to free up space, and then reinstalling all the various NSPs back again one by one when you want to replay the game.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if a new DLC or update is released, you just rebuild a new XCI.
Personally, that seems like tedious work with no benefit.

You know whats really inefficient? Having to install all the various NSPs, then deleting everything in the future when you need to free up space, and then reinstalling all the various NSPs back again one by one when you want to replay the game.
NSP files are not inherently inefficient. However, for the person you described who apparently keeps deleting installed games and reinstalling them, he should get a bigger SD card. If that's not an option for whatever reason, deleting a game and reinstalling an NSP over USB is no more time consuming than moving files back and forth between a computer and an HDD.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's a good point, and you're right, but my argument wasn't "Running XCI files can never be safe, so we shouldn't have an XCI loader on Atmosphere." I was specifically addressing the comments by @Rune with regard to the current state of NSP vs XCI safety. He claimed XCI files were safer than NSP files, not understanding how XCI files can run malicious code. I was merely acknowledging that using NSP files with a good installer is safer than running XCI files at present.

Well he was talking about safety in terms of foot prints left behind. If he is backing his own games up then there should be no malicious files, unless Nintendo themselves include something malicious & then it's kinda game over no matter how you run them.

XCI and NSP as file formats seem no worse in that regard, also I bet SX OS let you install unsigned NSP and run unsigned XCI.

You specifically mentioned an NSP installer that checks signatures, so that should be compared to an XCI loader that checks signatures.

The current state of XCI loader is only on topic if you're suggesting ripping off the SX OS loader and hacking out their DRM.

deleting a game and reinstalling an NSP over USB is no more time consuming than moving files back and forth between a computer and an HDD.

large USB are considerably cheaper than large micro sd.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally, that seems like tedious work with no benefit.

NSP files are not inherently inefficient. However, for the person you described who apparently keeps deleting installed games and reinstalling them, he should get a bigger SD card. If that's not an option for whatever reason, deleting a game and reinstalling an NSP over USB is no more time consuming than moving files back and forth between a computer and an HDD.
Right, so you're willing to accept having to deal with installing multiple DLC NSPs (some games can have dozens of little ones to merely unlock content), cuz you only see it as a minor inconvenience. But having to verify the signatures of a XCI before loading is apparently too much hassle.
And I like how to speak of this imaginary person deleting games, as if its not really a common practice to have to do that to free up storage space.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well he was talking about safety in terms of foot prints left behind.
He was talking about bricks.

If he is backing his own games up then there should be no malicious files, unless Nintendo themselves include something malicious & then it's kinda game over no matter how you run them.
Right, but the same is true for personal backups that aren't mounted XCI files.

XCI and NSP as file formats seem no worse in that regard, also I bet SX OS let you install unsigned NSP and run unsigned XCI.
Installing an NSP or XCI backup using a good title installer cannot lead to a brick, since it can protect against unsigned files from being installed, regardless of which CFW you're using.

My understanding is SX OS allows unsigned XCI files to be run, which is less safe than the title installation I described in my last sentence.

You specifically mentioned an NSP installer that checks signatures, so that should be compared to an XCI loader that checks signatures.
Yes, but that wasn't the point I was addressing.

The current state of XCI loader is only on topic if you're suggesting ripping off the SX OS loader and hacking out their DRM.
I think you're talking to the wrong person, because i didn't bring it up.

large USB are considerably cheaper than large micro sd.
Yes, I agree, but that has nothing to do with the part of my post you quoted talking about install times vs. transfer times.

Right, so you're willing to accept having to deal with installing multiple DLC NSPs (some games can have dozens of little ones to merely unlock content), cuz you only see it as a minor inconvenience.
I don't see it as a minor inconvenience, because I don't see it as an inconvenience. You can batch install files. Or, better yet, you can use HBG to install all DLC at once.

It seems inefficient to repackage (or worse, redownload) a large Super XCI each time you want to update the game, add DLC, and/or update DLC.

But having to verify the signatures of a XCI before loading is apparently too much hassle.
I didn't say it was "too much of a hassle." I said it was more of a hassle then merely installing an NSP file, knowing something potentially malicious isn't going to get through automatically.

Last edited by Lacius,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is there hasn't been any malicious xci attempt's thus far aside from the let's play pikachu nsp incident within that Dark website
I can't help but feel we are arguing on "what if's" instead of what is. If all my games were installed on the sd card via nsp and somehow the sd card gets corrupted or stops working then what?..... not only i have to reinstall them on a clean sd card, but also re download them while the xci games will just sit on the external unharmed. Thats why I never put my PC games on the SSD for the very same reason.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't say it was "too much of a hassle." I said it was more of a hassle then merely installing an NSP file, knowing something potentially malicious isn't going to get through automatically.
Its not any kind of hassle at all, if you only have to check it one time and then never again.
And this one time check allows me to enjoy USB mounting, hot swapping XCIs, etc.

Sounds like a very good deal/trade off.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thing is there hasn't been any malicious xci attempt's thus far aside from the let's play pikachu nsp incident within that Dark website
I can't help but feel we are arguing on "what if's" instead of what is. If all my games were installed on the sd card via nsp and somehow the sd card gets corrupted or stops working then what?..... not only i have to reinstall them on a clean sd card, but also re download them while the xci games will just sit on the external unharmed. Thats why I never put my PC games on the SSD for the very same reason.
Good point. Correct me if Im wrong, but a malicious XCI is a "what if", whereas a malicious NSP is a "what is".

Reactions: MasterJ360

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P