where is an actual WAD editing software

home-forums

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i am looking for a WAD editing software and i can already hear customizeMII, while customizeMII is a WAD editing software it can only replace assets from an already existing WAD, what i want is a graphical wad editor so i can make my own animations

i do have the wii SDK, but it's just a load of junk programs that do nothing

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the animation is not part of the WAD editing.
the WAD is like a zip or rar package which contains files to extract on internal NAND's different paths. it also contains a banner animation file which can be replaced with another banner animation file.
it doesn't define the animation.
The animation file (00000000.app in the wad) contains another set of sub-files that you have to extract and repack each time you want to test your animation, one for the picture, one for the script defining how the pictures are moving, the effects, etc.

What you are looking for, is a banner editor.
it was suggested to make a visual editor long time ago, but has never been made because it requires a lot of time to make one.
instead, you have to edit all the files manually and repack them into a .app file, then repack it into a wad file.

There is a tutorial by SifJar for banner animation edition and creation here :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-banner-creation-editing-guide.291151/
Too bad, the pictures are dead, and the "easier to navigate" mirror site is dead too.

To make things easier and test your animated banner, you don't need to repack into a wad each time and reinstall the wad on Wii (and risk a brick of your system menu !).
you could repack the wad and install it on Neek to prevent bricking your SysNAND, but it's a lot of steps to repack the wad, reinstall it, etc.
instead you can use a banner animation player :
there is one in USB loaders (rename the banner with titleID of a game you have on your USB, and the loader will play it).
or use the Wii banner player app from Dimok (I don't have the link yet... searching now), I think it's a homebrew, not a PC app.

Edit :
Actually, there are two version:

Homebrew : Wii System Menu Player
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-system-menu-player.325976/
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiSystemMenuPlayer
can play .app and .bnr from SD file

Windows app : Wii Banner Player
https://code.google.com/archive/p/wii-banner-player/downloads

I never used it, I don't know how compatible it is with existing banners.
If you want best result, use the USBLoaderGX banner layout and put your .bnr (00000000.app renamed to TitleID.bnr) on your cache banner folder.
or the homebrew I posted above.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: dj_skual

home-forums

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i wasn't really looking for that because i wanted something not using customizeMII
i was looking for something like what Gabubu uses i do hve the wii SDK also so maybe i could use that

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
same, benzin + text editor
Unfortunately our predecessors turned out to be as lazy as we are now and didn't leave us a legacy of any smart and highly ergonomic automated multitools like WADEditor Suite 2010 Deluxe Edition 2.0 or something like that.

home-forums

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Benzin doesn't work it needs cygwin-1.dll
Post automatically merged:

anyway i don't need a GUI i just need to edit a WAD's animations images and that

tcmt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Benzin doesn't work it needs cygwin-1.dll

anyway i don't need a GUI i just need to edit a WAD's animations images and that

WiiDatabase has a recent fork of benzin on github and instructions on how to run it on windows including the Cygwin part ( https://github.com/WiiDatabase/benzin ). Instructions can be found in the Windows-instruction.txt file on their GitHub page. Or if you're on linux or Mac they have builds for either platform on their release page.

Last edited by tcmt,

home-forums

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i am compiling this now hopefully i can make something

ok the makefile has an error and i tried the version from mariocube and it has an error

also i tried wii-banner-player and i fixed the errors it only shows a black screen i ran it in cmd with /? , nothing,

Last edited by home-forums,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade