Hacking Where is the Wiikey U?

Diablokiller999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So, scrolling through most pictures, text and some sources, I think that Wiikey-Team und Cobra are both developers with knowledge und reputation and with myself being into FPGA/VHDL I probably understand the problems lying on the way of creating an ODE. I think that both groups just underestimated what they were up to, creating a 100% working device isn't a sunday morning walk in the park and now both teams in competition is just adding some pressure. The market for ODEs is huge, selling good for 360 and PS3 so far, so why waste this source of money if you can milk the cashcow? I don't know how many people are working in those teams, but they seem pretty small too me. So maintaining several products with only a hand full of stuff and creating new at the same time could be hard to deal. Nevertheless, both teams have long experience in the business and even if it looks like trolling sometimes, they both know that after the release, most of it will be forgotten.

I would love an ODE or other Backup-Method for my WiiU. Having several games directly attached to your console and preserve the original disc is some kind of luxury I would love to have. I admit, I also would try some games before I buy them, being somewhere in the illegal area. But as a developer, I also respect the work of the software companies and try to support games I like, so not feeling guilty at all. We just have to wait and see, maybe both teams want to get the christmas market for extra sales?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
there are countries, that allow to download games, that you already own and there are countries, that only allow to own a backup of a game, that you own and that you backed up yourself
yes sure... and there are also countries where downloading games even if you do not own them is legal, right?

Deleted member 331788

Trophies
XP
Country
yes sure... and there are also countries where downloading games even if you do not own them is legal, right?

Even if you don't own the original game, it not illegal ...technically it's a copy of a copy ...only the original copy is illegal. Like the person who shared it, it's them that are committing the crime!

cinhomartins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Even if you don't own the original game, it not illegal ...technically it's a copy of a copy ...only the original copy is illegal. Like the person who shared it, it's them that are committing the crime!

According to the laws of which country... Republic of Congo? Don't kid yourself. Each and every copy is illegal in basicaly every civilized country since you are violating copyright. In some places it constitutes a crime, in others only a civil law ofense. In any case forbidden by law, and so, illegal.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i'm pretty sure it's not illegal in poland, spain, it used to be fine in the netherlands but they changed that recently, canada it's fine too i think, i guess there are more countries, i'd be surprised if every country in africa and every island nation has made it illegal

cinhomartins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really don't think that is accurate... Just to take Spain as an example... it signed the Berne Convention, The UCC Geneva, the UCC Paris, the Agreement on trade-related aspects of intelectual property rights and the WIPO copyright treaty...

Countries are just refusing to sign the ACTA Treaty, that, like in the US, give superpowers to anyone with a copyright claim, such as the possibility to take down a site just based on a claim... That does not make the violation of copyright legal, just limits the means to pursue compensations.

Reactions: cearp

Biduleman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i'm pretty sure it's not illegal in poland, spain, it used to be fine in the netherlands but they changed that recently, canada it's fine too i think, i guess there are more countries, i'd be surprised if every country in africa and every island nation has made it illegal

For Canada:

30.6 It is not an infringement of copyright in a computer program for a person who owns a copy of the computer program that is authorized by the owner of the copyright, or has a licence to use a copy of the computer program, to
(a) reproduce the copy by adapting, modifying or converting it, or translating it into another computer language, if the person proves that the reproduced copy (i) is essential for the compatibility of the computer program with a particular computer, (ii) is solely for the person’s own use, and (iii) was destroyed immediately after the person ceased to be the owner of the copy of the computer program or to have a licence to use it; or (b) reproduce for backup purposes the copy or a reproduced copy referred to in paragraph
(a) if the person proves that the reproduction for backup purposes was destroyed immediately after the person ceased to be the owner of the copy of the computer program or to have a licence to use it.

So no, you can't download a copy from the internet. Also, you can't have a copy if you don't have the original. And it's the same or worse almost everywhere.

cinhomartins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
thanks for the info, but what about the other countries i said?

A simple search in Google will give you similar answers... example: search for chomikuj.pl

Most tales of legitimacy in copied material are just urban legends and wishfull thinking.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what he is talking about are the countries that notoriously ignore western copyright laws......and don't kid yourself that is a big slice of the world and most of the non-western world. So China, Russia, most of S. America, and large swaths of Asia, India, and other outlying areas don't give a flying fuck about our copyrights or laws. Sure maybe they have some statutes in place (unlikely) but in general they refuse to prosecute or turn over their people over such issues. I have heard many stories that at the street level selling pirated software (console and otherwise) is quite common and indeed more common than legit software because of the high cost and limited availability in such markets.

All these laws are bullshit that pretty much protect the already strong, while pissing on or limiting the consumer. It's not like some little indie group is ever going to sue or prosecute for copyright violation, meaning a copyright is only as valid as someone's ability to defend it. It is mega giants like Sony, Disney, Nintendo, M$ that would and have the ability to do that. For them its all about profit protection and that's why they don't mess with small potatoes (thankfully).

I leave you with this (my anthem):

Reactions: cearp

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The people who pre ordered the wiikey u should know where it is they should have got an email or something letting them know. I would be mad if i pre ordered and have yet to hear anything.

Deleted member 331788

Trophies
XP
Country
According to the laws of which country... Republic of Congo? Don't kid yourself. Each and every copy is illegal in basicaly every civilized country since you are violating copyright. In some places it constitutes a crime, in others only a civil law ofense. In any case forbidden by law, and so, illegal.

Well neither of them are civilised countries ...but UK, and Australia for example!
Not sure about Republic of Congo?? ...I think you will have to DuckDuckGo that one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH