Gaming Which dragon quest game to start on?

biggman15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know 1-3 are considered a trilogy, and 4-6 are considered another trilogy... But I can't be of any more help...

Tornadosurvives

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
IX is a standalone
biggrin.gif

manoelpdb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can play any DQ game and you will understand the story. Some elements are shared in commom, but dont get worried because you will have fun anyway.

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the DS, I recommend DQV as an introduction to the game series. Like most series, each game has its ups and downs, and shared elements, but DQV is a pretty phenomenal game on the DS. Unlike, say, FF, which can vary widely from game to game, the DQ series as I remember it has a lot more similarities than differences.

I'm only 15 hours into DQIX, but so far, I'd say the same about it.

Each is a standalone game, though, so just pick one and run with it.

DemonicChocobo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As everyone has said, you can just pick up any Dragon Quest game and you won't be missing out on any important plot details since each game is its own story. Personally, my most favorite games are the first three(Especially III.) and V.

Also, VIII is worth playing simply for Jessica.
wub.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IV, V, and VI are all pretty boring. Very dated honestly.

Haven't tried IX yet but it looks a little more modern. I'd say try one of the older ones and see if you can deal with the dated formula or just skip straight to IX. Like Final Fantasy I'm rather sure they all have different and unrelated plots.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The other thing of note with DQ is that it matters not where you start as they all work, though the first 2 sets of 3 are loosely trilogies, but the fact they're consistent.

When you go into a DQ game no matter the number you know what kind of enemies, combat, style, general feel of the story(despite them all being different), and so on. If you like one you should likely enjoy all of them because they make things consistent so you can enjoy each one as much as the next as long as you continue to like the style they focus on. Square takes the opposite with FF since they hit #7 and it has been a yo-yo ride of mediocrity, turds, mmos, and the rare gem which is why popularity has waned a bit on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey hope all is well