Hacking Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

rody2k6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The AK2i isn't in the list, the list is for the AK 2.1, which is an earlier product.

The 2i did have some 3DS support, but stopped being able to be updated. The DSi has been getting updates as well, she just hasn't been updating it.

I went online and saw that the last update to the DSi was in Dec. 2012 and the last update to AK2i was for the OS version before that, then support stopped. The best flash cart to get now if one has a DSi and 3DS is the R4 right since support is active and ongoing, am I right?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I went online and saw that the last update to the DSi was in Dec. 2012 and the last update to AK2i was for the OS version before that, then support stopped. The best flash cart to get now if one has a DSi and 3DS is the R4 right since support is active and ongoing, am I right?
That or the DSTwo, which is the only cart that's never needed a new model to get past a hardware update.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Cool and what I don't get is that on the first post there is a http://r4idsn.com and www.r4ids.cn

Are both the same?
They were one team, then they split to form two sites. Both are Wood-supported and give the same updates and stuff, so most people consider them equal.

Also do you recommend a store where I can buy the correct R4i (which ever one works with the latest 3ds OS) thanks
[shoptemp]548[/shoptemp]

Just make sure the product pays says that they update it.

rody2k6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They were one team, then they split to form two sites. Both are Wood-supported and give the same updates and stuff, so most people consider them equal.

[shoptemp]548[/shoptemp]

Just make sure the product pays says that they update it.

I see, make sure that they ship it out to you updated to the latest firmware right?

rody2k6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. It's usually listed on the product page which firmware/version they update the product to before sending it out.

I see, what I don't understand is for the R4 you download the update to make it compatible with the DSi and 3DS and also you apply WOOD to it?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

rody2k6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-dsi-3ds-hacking-f-a-q.278137/
Wood is stuff you simply put on the MicroSD to launch games, updating it makes it able to run more games.

The firmware is what you run (like a game) in order to update the cart's DSi/3DS compatibility.

Yes, like AKAIO is used to launch games and helps the AK2i be more compatible, and the firmware is what one uses (in this case AK2i) to "unbrick" the card if one updates their DSi and then they would need a DS Lite to unbrick and such - right? Been so long since I been talking about flash carts forgot most stuf about 'em

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, like AKAIO is used to launch games and helps the AK2i be more compatible, and the firmware is what one uses (in this case AK2i) to "unbrick" the card if one updates their DSi and then they would need a DS Lite to unbrick and such - right? Been so long since I been talking about flash carts forgot most stuf about 'em
The firmware is what determines if the DSi/3DS will run it or give you an error and refuse to run it, but yeah it can also be used to unbrick, if the brick was firmware-related.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
So I read over the comparison pic on the first page and have a few Qs.
I'm probably going to get a DStwo because it also plays GBA games (hopefully I won't hate it after playing on the DSlite for years). How is the GBA emulation on the DStwo versus playing on real hardware on a DSlite? Excellent? Very good? Tolerable? Crap?

And I'm either going to get a DSiXL or a 3DSXL... since the 3DS is still getting firmware updates etc, has anyone had trouble keeping their DStwo working on the 3DS?
Any other recommendations or advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So I read over the comparison pic on the first page and have a few Qs.
I'm probably going to get a DStwo because it also plays GBA games (hopefully I won't hate it after playing on the DSlite for years). How is the GBA emulation on the DStwo versus playing on real hardware on a DSlite? Excellent? Very good? Tolerable? Crap?
It's not fullspeed. Most games need to be run with frameskip 1 or 2.

And I'm either going to get a DSiXL or a 3DSXL... since the 3DS is still getting firmware updates etc, has anyone had trouble keeping their DStwo working on the 3DS?
Any other recommendations or advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)
The DSTwo is the only cart that has never needed a hardware update to keep working.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country

OK good to hear. Gonna get a DStwo and 3DSXL - thanks!

And GBA-wise, so perhaps its emulation quality could be considered very good or at least VisualBoyAdvance quality??
If you've used it, what games would you say are not great on the DStwo but are actually good games on real hardware?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Turns out there was actually a major update to the GBA emulator just today, I did some testing and a lot of games run fullspeed now, while others work fine at frameskip 1.

So most games should work just fine at either fullspeed, or 30FPS. There are still some games that won't work at all, or freeze, or slow down during certain parts. If you get use a Slot-2 cart (meaning on a DS/Lite, the DSi and 3DS cannot use a slot-2) for GBA stuff that'd be better, if not the DSTwo should do most games at an acceptable level.

rody2k6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The DSTwo is the only cart that has never needed a hardware update to keep working.

Really? The R4i (the only other working 3DS cart) had to get upgraded hardware to run on past 3DS firmwares?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Really? The R4i (the only other working 3DS cart) had to get upgraded hardware to run on past 3DS firmwares?
Yes. For example the original R4i Gold model they sent me for the review stopped working at 3DS firmware 4.4, if I wanted it to work on a later version I'd have to get a newer model.

There's other carts that work on the 3DS as well, but they tend to use hacked Wood (instead of official support), drop carts early or never give updates, etc.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. For example the original R4i Gold model they sent me for the review stopped working at 3DS firmware 4.4, if I wanted it to work on a later version I'd have to get a newer model.

There's other carts that work on the 3DS as well, but they tend to use hacked Wood (instead of official support), drop carts early or never give updates, etc.

Well hopefully the Supercard team keeps updating the DStwo and if we're lucky, maybe 3+ years from now, 3DS support as well.

Mr.Cool.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you so much for the guide. Made an account just to say that.

Going to get a DStwo if I can just find a place with quick shipping.

Reactions: Rydian

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch