Hacking Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thinking of getting a new DSi flashcart as my old IEDGE has some freezing issues.
Would this one be any good? http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=507
I'm assuming the 3ds ones are DS compatible and that there's no need to worry about firmware?

This is an ace3ds+ clone.

It needs no firmware update, works on everything, and uses hacked wood 1.62 for full compatibility with DS library, including prosecutor's path.

as long as their website is up, firmware is available, and it will never time bomb.

www.r4isdhc.com.cn is the site, and is currently up.

This card is probably one of the best under 10$.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This card is probably one of the best under 10$.
This is a horrible cart

Okay, so I guess with the talk about ntr-boot and the like, I wouldn't mind getting some ideas for a cheapo cart to use for the job. But also, is there a good place that still sells the DStwo(plus)? Not for using the Gateway feature, since I already have a legit GW cart, but more because I have an OG DStwo that is failing, and the improved hardware in the plus version would be tempting. It'd be going into a DSi XL, anyway.

If you want an ntrboot cart under $10 just get dstt, it can run ysmenu or an older version of wood. Or fork out the extra 10 and get the r4i gold 3ds rts by r4ids.cn since it's best best available

Reactions: JLB14

JLB14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is a horrible cart

If you want an ntrboot cart under $10 just get dstt, it can run ysmenu or an older version of wood. Or fork out the extra 10 and get the r4i gold 3ds rts by r4ids.cn since it's best best available
Hi,

I'm trying to choose a linker for my new n3DSXL under CFW and I'm so confused, because I read something, and then it's opposite.
You're saying that R4i gold 3DS RTS is the best choice (which I'm totally open to believe), but it appears that some people prefer the R4i sdhc 3DS RTS.
And to add in bonus some confusion, there's a new one : the R4i 3DS B9S.
Could you help me, explaining to me why you think the gold one is better, or/and why the others are less good (including the ace3ds+ if possible, because it's way cheaper and I'm curious why).
Indeed, I don't really now what are the hardware / software differences.

Thanks for any answer !

EDIT : anybody's opinion is very welcome ! :)

Last edited by JLB14,

Rokku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I haven't bought a DS flashcart in probably 4 years but I'd like to get a new one. Which ones are good now? I remember the Supercard DSTWO used to be really good...

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes this is the best one on the market
Hi, I haven't bought a DS flashcart in probably 4 years but I'd like to get a new one. Which ones are good now? I remember the Supercard DSTWO used to be really good...
see the quote above this
Hi,

I'm trying to choose a linker for my new n3DSXL under CFW and I'm so confused, because I read something, and then it's opposite.
You're saying that R4i gold 3DS RTS is the best choice (which I'm totally open to believe), but it appears that some people prefer the R4i sdhc 3DS RTS.
And to add in bonus some confusion, there's a new one : the R4i 3DS B9S.
Could you help me, explaining to me why you think the gold one is better, or/and why the others are less good (including the ace3ds+ if possible, because it's way cheaper and I'm curious why).
Indeed, I don't really now what are the hardware / software differences.

Thanks for any answer !

EDIT : anybody's opinion is very welcome ! :)
the R4i 3DS B9S (along with any carts from r4i-sdhc.com) will be running the r4 kernel. This kernel is very clunky and definitely the worst kernel available

The difference between the R4i 3DS B9S and R4i sdhc 3DS RTS is that the R4i 3DS B9S is preflashed with ntrboot. You would have to flash the R4i sdhc 3DS RTS yourself (but that takes like 2 minutes to do)

Most people will recommand the R4i Gold 3DS RTS because it runs the wood kernel, which is the best kernel

Last edited by Adeka,
Reactions: JLB14

JLB14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes this is the best one on the market

see the quote above this

the R4i 3DS B9S (along with any carts from r4i-sdhc.com) will be running the r4 kernel. This kernel is very clunky and definitely the worst kernel available

The difference between the R4i 3DS B9S and R4i sdhc 3DS RTS is that the R4i 3DS B9S is preflashed with ntrboot. You would have to flash the R4i sdhc 3DS RTS yourself (but that takes like 2 minutes to do)

Most people will recommand the R4i Gold 3DS RTS because it runs the wood kernel, which is the best kernel
Thanks for your answer ! :-)

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i never said it was the best cart.

but it is the cheapest option for ds games on a stock 3ds from that site.

I asked around for one that was cheap and just worked, and that one came up.

having tried the ace3ds+ myself (same cart) it does what it promises. Not amazing build quality, but it's hard to beat the price, and it worked.

and DSTT isn't gonna stick around forever. Probably some people are going to mass buy them up, ntr-boot them, and resell them for more money.

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is.

very out of date.

someone should update it.

again only list supported cards. it's totally out of date on the 3ds side, for example.

Last edited by Zaphod77,

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is.

very out of date.

someone should update it.

again only list supported cards. it's totally out of date on the 3ds side, for example.

Among other things, but I don't think Rydian uses the site any longer. (Don't remember seeing anything from him in years, though we weren't exactly close) Kinda needs a new thread I suppose. (No i am not volunteering. :-P)

Atledbet_11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will the card labeled ProID=149 from the nds-card site, allow me to backup my GBA harvest moon, to my computer using a NDSlite, incase the cartridge battery dies and if that does happen could I restore the data to my cartridge after the repair?

Cyber Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still have a few questions about what flashcart I should choose. The DSTwo looks like it might be the best fit, but it also looks like massive overkill, and I hear it drains the DS's battery a lot faster due to having additional CPUs on it.

Right now, I have a CycloDS, I got this thing years ago in place of my R4 (I don't remember what kind, but it was extremely old and didn't support cards over 2GB, as well as many many games at the time). Many of the later DS games however don't work on the CycloDS anymore, even when I patch some of them, and it does not work in a DSi or 3DS. This card is also not updated anymore, last firmware update was sometime in 2010-2011.

I also have a 3-in-1 Slot 2 card that works as a rumble pack, memory expansion, or I can flash a GBA game to it.

Right now, the main thing I want is a good card for my DS that can run any DS game without needing to pre-patch it. I really would heavily prefer it if it can run in my DSi/3DS as well. Did any cards actually natively support the DSi/3DS, or do all of them just pretend to be a random DS game? I know that at the time, there was actually an updated version of the CycloDS called the CycloDSi that actually appeared as itself in a DSi and could run in DSi mode, instead of appearing as a DS game and ran in DS mode (the last firmware update also added 3DS support, but I am sure that was patched out long ago on the 3DS). I really would prefer a card that works in a DSi/3DS without mimicing another game and just being in DS mode if there are still any like that.

I also would want it to be compatible with my 3-in-1 Slot 2 Cart and allow me to flash GBA games to it, would prefer to run the games natively over Slot 2 than emulating them. (Would this have any issues with transferring/backing up my savedata from Slot 2 this way?). I was actually able to use my CycloDS to dump my GBA games and backup/restore their savedata, as well as my CycloDS in combination with my 3-in-1 to dump my DS games, and again, also backup/restore their savedata. I would like to still be able to do this.

Finally, my 3DS systems are already hacked, so ntrboot isn't really needed, but it would be a plus if it was compatible with it, though the other two things take priority over this.

I do not need it to play 3DS games.

Are there any DS cards that fit all of this? The first post doesn't mention anything about how the DSi support is implemented (if it actually appears as itself in a DSi/3DS or if it just appears as a DS game, and if so, what game), if it can dump my carts or dump/restore their savedata, if it supports savedata on slot 2, or ntrboot support.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still have a few questions about what flashcart I should choose. The DSTwo looks like it might be the best fit, but it also looks like massive overkill, and I hear it drains the DS's battery a lot faster due to having additional CPUs on it.

Right now, I have a CycloDS, I got this thing years ago in place of my R4 (I don't remember what kind, but it was extremely old and didn't support cards over 2GB, as well as many many games at the time). Many of the later DS games however don't work on the CycloDS anymore, even when I patch some of them, and it does not work in a DSi or 3DS. This card is also not updated anymore, last firmware update was sometime in 2010-2011.

I also have a 3-in-1 Slot 2 card that works as a rumble pack, memory expansion, or I can flash a GBA game to it.

Right now, the main thing I want is a good card for my DS that can run any DS game without needing to pre-patch it. I really would heavily prefer it if it can run in my DSi/3DS as well. Did any cards actually natively support the DSi/3DS, or do all of them just pretend to be a random DS game? I know that at the time, there was actually an updated version of the CycloDS called the CycloDSi that actually appeared as itself in a DSi and could run in DSi mode, instead of appearing as a DS game and ran in DS mode (the last firmware update also added 3DS support, but I am sure that was patched out long ago on the 3DS). I really would prefer a card that works in a DSi/3DS without mimicing another game and just being in DS mode if there are still any like that.

I also would want it to be compatible with my 3-in-1 Slot 2 Cart and allow me to flash GBA games to it, would prefer to run the games natively over Slot 2 than emulating them. (Would this have any issues with transferring/backing up my savedata from Slot 2 this way?). I was actually able to use my CycloDS to dump my GBA games and backup/restore their savedata, as well as my CycloDS in combination with my 3-in-1 to dump my DS games, and again, also backup/restore their savedata. I would like to still be able to do this.

Finally, my 3DS systems are already hacked, so ntrboot isn't really needed, but it would be a plus if it was compatible with it, though the other two things take priority over this.

I do not need it to play 3DS games.

Are there any DS cards that fit all of this? The first post doesn't mention anything about how the DSi support is implemented (if it actually appears as itself in a DSi/3DS or if it just appears as a DS game, and if so, what game), if it can dump my carts or dump/restore their savedata, if it supports savedata on slot 2, or ntrboot support.
The SuperCard DSTWO/DSTWO+ has one on board CPU not many lol. I did personal tests already of my own with my DSTWO+, you only lose 20-30 minutes of playtime, yes the battery is consumed just a bit more with sleep mode while using this flashcart, but seriously people need to stop looking at it as if the card is a monstrosity to mankind lol, everything has pros and cons, the con is fairly small so it really isn't a big deal. Other than that small hiccup it's a very good flashcart. It can be better if people put time into it. (that's impossible though because majority of people have the broken mentality of "newer means better ALWAYS") This flashcart doesn't require any kind of patching to play Nintendo DS games. This card is amazing at saving games too, I tested Pokemon Diamond/Pearl since those games have really long save times, and to my surprise they saved in less than a second. No need to worry about long saving anymore lol.

The second best flashcarts out there right now is the R4i Gold 3DS RTS or the R4i Gold 3DS Plus (RTS). Both flashcarts are the same pretty much except the Plus version has a built in version of NTRboothax, all you have to do is flip a switch inside the flashcart to use it. Both of these flashcarts use Wood R4 kernel and do not require patching to play Nintendo DS games. Do note that the games running on that will not be as fast as the SuperCard DSTWO/DSTWO+, however they will run at their normal speeds.

Now in my personal opinion, the best flashcart other than the SuperCard DSTWO/DSTWO+ would be the Acekard 2i. This flashcart uses the AKAIO kernel which is amazing to use. This flashcart is compatible with every DS game (that I know of, haven't had any issues of my own) and is very simple to use. It is a fairly old flashcart but it definitely isn't obsolete.

All of these flashcarts can play DSi enhanced games like Pokemon Black/Black 2 and Pokemon White/White 2 without any trouble. So no need to worry about the DSi enhanced compatibility. Only thing you have to worry about with these flashcarts is getting a microSD card to hold all the games you want lol. Again none of the flashcarts I talked about require any kind of patching to play the games.

Cyber Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SuperCard DSTWO/DSTWO+ has one on board CPU not many lol. I did personal tests already of my own with my DSTWO+, you only lose 20-30 minutes of playtime, yes the battery is consumed just a bit more with sleep mode while using this flashcart, but seriously people need to stop looking at it as if the card is a monstrosity to mankind lol, everything has pros and cons, the con is fairly small so it really isn't a big deal. Other than that small hiccup it's a very good flashcart. It can be better if people put time into it. (that's impossible though because majority of people have the broken mentality of "newer means better ALWAYS") This flashcart doesn't require any kind of patching to play Nintendo DS games. This card is amazing at saving games too, I tested Pokemon Diamond/Pearl since those games have really long save times, and to my surprise they saved in less than a second. No need to worry about long saving anymore lol.

The second best flashcarts out there right now is the R4i Gold 3DS RTS or the R4i Gold 3DS Plus (RTS). Both flashcarts are the same pretty much except the Plus version has a built in version of NTRboothax, all you have to do is flip a switch inside the flashcart to use it. Both of these flashcarts use Wood R4 kernel and do not require patching to play Nintendo DS games. Do note that the games running on that will not be as fast as the SuperCard DSTWO/DSTWO+, however they will run at their normal speeds.

Now in my personal opinion, the best flashcart other than the SuperCard DSTWO/DSTWO+ would be the Acekard 2i. This flashcart uses the AKAIO kernel which is amazing to use. This flashcart is compatible with every DS game (that I know of, haven't had any issues of my own) and is very simple to use. It is a fairly old flashcart but it definitely isn't obsolete.

All of these flashcarts can play DSi enhanced games like Pokemon Black/Black 2 and Pokemon White/White 2 without any trouble. So no need to worry about the DSi enhanced compatibility. Only thing you have to worry about with these flashcarts is getting a microSD card to hold all the games you want lol. Again none of the flashcarts I talked about require any kind of patching to play the games.

How would you say they compare to that new Ace3DS X? Since that card is new and most of the comparison charts are old using hardware that came out along time ago, none of them seem to take the Ace3DS X into consideration.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-