Hardware Which Playstation 5 would you like to buy?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,593
  • Replies 56
  • Likes 1

Which Playstation 5 would you like to buy?

• Playstation 5 with DVD / BluRay drive

• Playstation 5 digital edition

• I am not sure yet!

Results are only viewable after voting.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If I would buy anyone of them it would be the one with a player. But not so sure of it yet. No games I want on it either at the moment.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Err, you are aware the PS5/Sexbox are using NVMe SSDs, right? The PS5 even has an M.2 slot that's easily accessible that you can shove a second SSD in (at some point, since you need a compatible one).

In fact, I don't think anything on the new consoles are "1 gen behind" beyond perhaps the CPU being Zen 2 instead of Zen 3. The GPU is modern RDNA 2, the RAM is GDDR6, SSDs are NMVe, wifi is Wifi 6 (at least, on the PS5). Basically everything that's current/upcoming.
Notice that NMVe IS ALREADY SUPPORTED by almost 99% of MoBos made 5yo prior PS5, GPU is at level of a 2060 or AMD equivalent both RELEASED 3years ago, with miserable 16gb RAM, plus LAN cable always beats WIFI.

the only valuable thing inside PS5 maybe is the new CPU, but it's not that great impressive judging from its RAW power.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will bet you that Slim version will removed PS4 backward compatibility for affordable price.
yeah this is a typical $ony move and to be expected but i already have a PS4 with 6.72
so no loss unless the PS5 gets hacked
who knows though they might not even offer an optical drive version of the slim either

Reactions: spotanjo3

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Notice that NMVe IS ALREADY SUPPORTED by almost 99% of MoBos made 5yo prior PS5, GPU is at level of a 2060 or AMD equivalent both RELEASED 3years ago, with miserable 16gb RAM, plus LAN cable always beats WIFI.

the only valuable thing inside PS5 maybe is the new CPU, but it's not that great impressive judging from its RAW power.
You literally fucking said "Console gaming is always 1-gen behind PC, when consoles finally get SSD, we are already on M.2". There's no "gen" after M.2 you moron, making your point invalid which was my point :rolleyes:

The GPU is definitely not a "2060 equivalent" :lol: No idea where you got that kind of BS, but it's just straight up wrong. It's a ~10tflop GPU, which is about the same as a 2080. Sure, it isn't "modern" anymore with 3000 series coming out but you're fucking deluded if you think that's "outdated", especially at a $500/$400 price point for an entire system.

As for RAM, anyone who thinks 16GB is "miserable" is a fucking idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about :rolleyes: These are GAMING machines, they're not doing anything that's RAM intensive, if you actually knew...well, anything, you'd know that games today still barely use anything more than 4-5GB max at best. Even shittily optimized games like RDR2 barely use 7GB. But yeah sure 16GB is just terrible! :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like someone is spending too much time jerking to PCMR posts on Reddit :rolleyes:

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah this is a typical $ony move and to be expected but i already have a PS4 with 6.72
so no loss unless the PS5 gets hacked
who knows though they might not even offer an optical drive version of the slim either

There is no unless the PS5 get hacked. It will definitely gets hacked but its matter of when. Everything are always hackable no matter what. Some system gets hacked quicker and some system gets hacked much longer. :)

Last edited by spotanjo3,
Reactions: weatMod

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You literally fucking said "Console gaming is always 1-gen behind PC, when consoles finally get SSD, we are already on M.2". There's no "gen" after M.2 you moron, making your point invalid which was my point :rolleyes:

The GPU is definitely not a "2060 equivalent" :lol: No idea where you got that kind of BS, but it's just straight up wrong. It's a ~10tflop GPU, which is about the same as a 2080. Sure, it isn't "modern" anymore with 3000 series coming out but you're fucking deluded if you think that's "outdated", especially at a $500/$400 price point for an entire system.

As for RAM, anyone who thinks 16GB is "miserable" is a fucking idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about :rolleyes: These are GAMING machines, they're not doing anything that's RAM intensive, if you actually knew...well, anything, you'd know that games today still barely use anything more than 4-5GB max at best. Even shittily optimized games like RDR2 barely use 7GB. But yeah sure 16GB is just terrible! :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like someone is spending too much time jerking to PCMR posts on Reddit :rolleyes:
HOW triggered this reply of yours? u as stuff used so many colorful IQ adjectives which don't match ur position at all, drink some mother's milk and grow up. then we can talk about.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There is no unless the PS5 get hacked. It will definitely gets hacked but its matter of when. Everything are always hackable no matter what. Some system gets hacked quicker and some system gets hacked much longer. :)
I'll bring up the cliché point of the XONE not getting hacked, and we're all probably familiar the possible explanations as to why and I'm not interested in discussing this. However, I do wonder if microsoft proving to devs and producers that they last gen were able to provide an unhacked/uncompromised system, gives them an advantage over Playstation. If they were direct competitors with Nintendo I could imagine this, however I'm not sure how widespread PS4 hacking is.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll bring up the cliché point of the XONE not getting hacked, and we're all probably familiar the possible explanations as to why and I'm not interested in discussing this. However, I do wonder if microsoft proving to devs and producers that they last gen were able to provide an unhacked/uncompromised system, gives them an advantage over Playstation. If they were direct competitors with Nintendo I could imagine this, however I'm not sure how widespread PS4 hacking is.

Yeah, I know of the XBOX not getting hacked. It is the hardest system ever. One day, it will. Just one day. As I said before. It is matter of when. It could be 15 years to finally get hacked. One day. :)

Reactions: Zense

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
HOW triggered this reply of yours? u as stuff used so many colorful IQ adjectives which don't match ur position at all, drink some mother's milk and grow up. then we can talk about.
It's ok to be wrong friend :)

Yeah, I know of the XBOX not getting hacked. It is the hardest system ever. One day, it will. Just one day. As I said before. It is matter of when. It could be 15 years to finally get hacked. One day. :)
There are actually private exploits for the Xbone that have existed for a quite a while (although I'd have to guess at this point they're probably for older firmwares now :unsure:), they just haven't been released because there's no reason to, the Xbone's "Dev mode" gives you everything homebrew would just with slightly less power and without the piracy aspect (which is probably why none of the hackers who discovered the exploits have released them).

I would really love to see Microsoft do the same thing with Series X/S, giving every user the option to turn your console into a "dev kit" and run whatever was definitely one of the best features of the Xbone.

Reactions: spotanjo3 and Zense

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Videos of comparison between PS5 and XB SX running previous gen games are already circulating on youtube.
Despite PS5's SSD big marketing campaign, test results aren't convincing...

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Videos of comparison between PS5 and XB SX running previous gen games are already circulating on youtube.
Despite PS5's SSD big marketing campaign, test results aren't convincing...
I actually never gave much attention to the alleged SSD differences between the XSX and PS5, and instead I focused more on the differences in titles and in backwards compatibility support. It's a hard choice between the two, although there are a couple of PS4 games I'd be interested in playing on the PS5.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: depaul

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wait for the slim with optical drive
if i even buy another console ,
prices are not worth it right now IMO , haven't had a desktop PC in over a decade but with the new generation of cards from AMD and nvidia i am considering building a rig instead
game prices and console prices are too high now compared to a decent card these days
ps5 will be rubbish tech by time a slim releases.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Realistically, if I get the version with the disc drive, the only thing I'd ever use the drive for is to watch Blu-Ray films, but I already have a PS4 for that, so at an extra $100 for a feature I don't really need, that's a tough sell. I've been almost entirely digital this gen, except for a handful of Switch experiences that simply aren't available in digital releases (like LABO VR and Ring Fit Adventure). I'm also not really a collector of physical media, so that aspect of going physical has no real appeal to me either, unless maybe there is some super amazing collector's edition for a game I've been dying to play, but I've yet to come across one of those, but I think in theory there could be one if it had all the right bells and whistles.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Console gaming is always 1-gen behind PC, when consoles finally get SSD, we are already on M.2
The SSD in the PS5 is actually faster than most PC ones. I have a pretty good Samsung 970 Pro NVME but it's still not as fast as the PS5 one. Also, if you go by Steam surveys the new gen consoles are way more powerful than the average PC gamer's system. I think it's amazing how much you get for 500 this time round.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Youtubebox