Homebrew who here has updated from TWLoader to DSImenu++

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eh, I will admit TWLoader is prettier, but i like DSIMenu more, mostly because of the cartridge speed, and non laggy menus, plus DSIMenu has been worked on a lot more, and now that its the main focus of things, i imagine it'll get a lot more refined for the 2/3DS, as well as the old DS's where its applicable.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eh, I will admit TWLoader is prettier, but i like DSIMenu more, mostly because of the cartridge speed, and non laggy menus, plus DSIMenu has been worked on a lot more, and now that its the main focus of things, i imagine it'll get a lot more refined for the 2/3DS, as well as the old DS's where its applicable.
The cartridge speeds have nothing to do with dsimenu++. That's all bootstrap.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It seems like you people are putting yourselves through quite a bit of stress/limitations/debugging/etc. to save about $10USD. Doesn't seem worth it to me.
I've personally made really bad experiences with all kinds of flashcards. My DSTWO did a great job for a while but now it's barely even recognised by all of my DS and 3DS systems anymore and if it actually boots in a rare occasion the games crash all the time. My R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS or whatever it's called as a horrible UI and is just very unpleasant to use. My R4i Gold (the one with the switch for ntrboot) was great for a number of weeks as well but now it makes all my 3DS systems crash just by inserting it. It gets recognised but then after a few seconds it just disappears from the home menu again only to reappear a few moments later. This goes on forever.

For all those reasons I'm very excited for loading DS ROMs from an SD card as soon as bootstrap has perfect compatibility

SMFKRS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No. There are still some useful features in TWLoader that have yet to make their way to DSiMenu++ (R4 Menu, updating the bootstrap from within the application)

Reactions: umbjolt

MegAmi24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just get a flash cart ffs.
What else are you going to put in that open slot?
If you leave it empty it could allow ingress of dust which could cause some issue later.
Those are expensive and you can always just put in any other cartridge you own.

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are expensive and you can always just put in any other cartridge you own.
A flash cart isn11.99 at modchipdirect and even cheaper on nds cart. It’s cheaper than buying any 3ds game honestly. Not that twloader and dsimenu aren’t totally awesome. Just saying

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nds Cart ships internationally though don’t they? As does AliExpress

Yes, this is true. What @Pickle_Rick is stating in another way is that standard of living isnt' the same for everyone. Your US $20 flashcart may seem reasonable to you but to someone in Nambia, that might mean it costs to them 100 Nambian monies.

^ Sorry to offend the Nambians out there.

Reactions: Hopalongtom

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A flash cart isn11.99 at modchipdirect and even cheaper on nds cart. It’s cheaper than buying any 3ds game honestly. Not that twloader and dsimenu aren’t totally awesome. Just saying
some people just like the idea of playing ds games without a flashcart, myself included or else I wouldn't have sold my dstwo flashcart.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some people just like the idea of playing ds games without a flashcart, myself included or else I wouldn't have sold my dstwo flashcart.
Until you come across one of the many DS games that you simply cannot play.
I bought my flashcart mostly in case I ever need to get homebrew access on a new/replaced console in the future.
The ability to play ALL DS games is just a welcome bonus.

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought my flashcart mostly in case I ever need to get homebrew access on a new/replaced console in the future.
the compatibility is not perfect right now, but almost all my ds games run at full speed with the latest update, we just need to give them a little more time.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You act like we'll have a stroke if a game doesn't work. It goes on like this:

1) Try a game and it doesn't work yet.
2) Oh well.
3) Do anything else.

Reactions: TyDye

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You act like we'll have a stroke if a game doesn't work. It goes on like this:

1) Try a game and it doesn't work yet.
2) Oh well.
3) Do anything else.
Exactly, I finished most of my games while i still had a ds 8 years ago, i just want to play some that I missed and replay others like order of ecclesia, which is now compatible, i just wish portrait of ruin was also playable -_-

edit: such a weird coincidence, POR has just been made compatible.

Last edited by lordkaos,

Jimbo_Slim

Pun Master/Loser
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time to add my own opinion to all this:
DSiMenu++ is cool even though it might be missing things people want that was previously in TWLoader. (It's a new take on the homebrew, give it time to develop (-_-). I'm gonna assume it was either forgotten in the rush or overlooked but the launcher cia is missing which is a normal human mistake.
For those with flashcards, congrats. You have money to spend to pirate ol' games. I have one but I don't have a completely functioning system to use it so just take your arguments and go compare each others or somethin.
Just be glad that homebrew exists and that there are cool people like Robz8 who haven't passed up the 3DS and are still developing said homebrew. *I write too much* *cough*

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked TWLoader's menu and used it to load from my flashcard, but it seems the focus was the always somewhat buggy SD loading, and my R4 card broke many many times. Does the new tool allow flashcart loading still?

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried out DSiMenu++ briefly last week after I learned about TWLoader being discontinued. I have to admit, I was pretty confused by the whole affair. I'll be sticking to my AK2i for a while longer, but from what I remember:
  • There didn't seem to be a way to make the ROM selection menu work just like a simple list, as it is on my AK2i. The Icon-based menu (mimicking the 3DS or DSi) seemed pretty unwieldy. This also applies to TWLoader, but DSiMenu++'s lower resolution exacerbated the issue for me.
  • The release .zip (or was it .7z?) seemed to contain everything needed for all use-cases, but there didn't seem to be a clear, unambiguous, up-to-date ReadMe supplied within, dictating which sub-folders were needed in which cases. I struggled for a while on this - neither the OP for the DSiMenu++ thread nor the GitHub release page for the download I used seemed to lay this all out clearly. I wasn't comfortable reporting a documentation issue however, without being fully confident in what I thought should instead be said therein, i.e.without fully understanding it myself first.
  • The documentation seemed to imply that it would be possible, when run "from" my 3DS, to run ROMs from my AK2i's SD card. However, when I tried copying the AK2i-related cards to my AK2i's SD card (replacing akmenu4.nds, I think was the filename), the AK2i became un-bootable (until I restored the original akmenu4.nds), and I seemed to get no additional options in DSiMenu++.
  • It wasn't clear to me whether the project could, now or in the future, run DSi-Enhanced NDS titles in DSi-"mode" on the 3DS.
In all cases, perhaps there were options I'd missed, or they were "known" issues either with solutions in the works, or known workarounds had I researched further. Regardless, I'm thoroughly impressed with the development of nds-bootstrap, but I think I'll wait another couple of months before I try again with the front-ends.

Hopalongtom

Trophies
XP
Country
Another issue with Flash cards is that they degrade over time, and at that point end up not booting consistently, often needing to eject it several times before it works, then randomly crashes in game/home-brew!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer