Hacking Who will be buying a TX Switch (SX) modchip?

Will you buy a TX modchip?

• Yes, the solderless version

Votes: 130 30.0%
  • Yes, the soldered version

Votes: 18 4.1%
  • I'm not sure yet. Waiting for full feature announcement

Votes: 151 34.8%
  • No way!!! I like free solutions

Votes: 101 23.3%
  • I am keeping my switch unmodified

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • I don't own a switch

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • I am just a troll

Votes: 21 4.8%

• Total voters

Kobigov

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tx_chip_wha.png

is the soldered version still a thing?
has it been shown yet?
really curious to see what it is
By soldered they probably mean soldering the joycon so you just press volume up to get into RCM. Talking out of my ass though.

nonamejohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be getting one. I have 3 units in the house, 1 on 4.0.1 and the rest on 5+. My children will be able to moonlight as "H4ck3rs" with friends. I'll save the 4.0.1 for a hopeful coldboot exploit.

210modz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fun game. Google the username of everyone that cries about piracy here. I bet you will find them supporting it in other places. 100%

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fun game. Google the username of everyone that cries about piracy here. I bet you will find them supporting it in other places. 100%

I am ambivalent about piracy. I consider it a necessary evil. It is a part of the complex system of the modern software market place, similarly to how parasites are a part of the complex ecosystem of a biosphere, with similar results, and necessity.

I am of the opinion that if you dont like piracy, dont engage in it. End of story.

Reactions: 210modz

CaptainLoozer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I'm not gonna lie. Piracy is obviously not the ONLY reason why I mod my systems but definitely the one that makes it worth getting banned over. Trust me, I wouldn't risk my 300 dollar system getting banned over playing old SNES games that I can already play just fine on my 3ds. Or installing themes or any of the other random homebrew stuff you can do.

With that said, I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to buy TX's solution yet, but if I did, I wouldn't feel bad about spending 30 bucks on a device that allows me to save hundreds on buying games. For the games I REALLY want to support the developers, I buy them. But for something like... say... Payday 2 which was released on switch with a version that is YEARS old and the developers have no plans on updating... and for 60 bucks??? Yea I'm going to pirate the shit out of that game if given the chance.

Last edited by CaptainLoozer,

aslk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
depends on if there'll be an alternative solution by the time it's out. Otherwise I might be able to sell it on craigslist for slightly less like the sky3ds when an alternative becomes available.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yea, I'm not gonna lie. Piracy is obviously not the ONLY reason why I mod my systems but definitely the one that makes it worth getting banned over. Trust me, I wouldn't risk my 300 dollar system getting banned over playing old SNES games that I can already play just fine on my 3ds. Or installing themes or any of the other random homebrew stuff you can do.
You reckon Nintendo's online offerings are something you would miss?

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*thinks he should just order the damn zsun, and get it working on his switch, just not actually booting Hekate with it. That way he can make the damn tutorial early.*

Reactions: hippy dave

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very curious about it, but I want more details. I've seen people say it's only like $30, but not sure if that's wholesale price or if that's what it will sell for. Also, the whole point of this CFW is for piracy....so, it will be interesting to see how quickly games get dumped and uploaded. Also wonder if there is going to be compatibility issues like the PS3 had with it's first CFW. I remember some games just booting to black screen or would show an error when you tried to launch it, even if the game firmware requirement was lower than your existing firmware and it would have worked perfectly with the disc/digital download. Also, Switch has an advantage of the games being smaller than most PS4 games, so uploading won't be as hard/time consuming

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Possibly, because again, if I want to support the developers of a game I felt was worth the money, I buy it. I also play online at times. What's your point?
That Nintendo's past online efforts and likely this future one have been atrocious, thus being banned from Nintendo's servers is one of those "nothing of value was lost" type situations.

Also what does buying games or not have to do with being banned?

CaptainLoozer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has everything to do with it. If I want to pirate games, I am taking steps that can lead to me getting banned. I wouldn't risk getting banned for modding my system if it weren't for piracy.

It has to do with people saying that the scene is all about homebrew. I am fully aware there are tons of devs out there that won't have anything to do with piracy and that's fine. But some people have this illusion that a there are only few people that care about piracy as far as end users go and those few people are just crazy criminals. When in fact, I'm willing to be the MAJORITY of people who mod their systems mainly do it for piracy and there are just few people that will actually ADMIT to it. I am one of those people. I love homebrew. But not enough to mod my system and risk getting banned JUST for homebrew.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are still way off topic from where I sit.

General scenario.

Get banned.

OK. Game shops still sell games.

But my game is online only. Assuming they deny access to the official shops then unfortunate but I am sure Nintendo will still allow you to sign in and buy the thing (to say nothing of being able to purchase tokens from the likes of Amazon). At which point you can happily download and install like any other pirate but safe in the knowledge your money is finding its way to the devs.

At this point you are down a slightly easier download method and online play on official servers (assuming you can't just find some new keys or something, and there are no third party servers).

But some people have this illusion that a there are only few people that care about piracy as far as end users go and those few people are just crazy criminals.
Where are these people? Nobody here seems to be really harbouring under such a delusion.

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
ive been using TX stuff for over a decade, they are a good reputable team. yes they make their money off shady shit, but a lot of the scene would not be possible without their products (xbox 360 specifically would be way behind). I have no problems supporting a team that will use that money to R&D new things for current and future consoles. Plus their pricing has always been reasonable. and products are high quality.

Reactions: vpd

CaptainLoozer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are still way off topic from where I sit.

General scenario.

Get banned.

OK. Game shops still sell games.

But my game is online only. Assuming they deny access to the official shops then unfortunate but I am sure Nintendo will still allow you to sign in and buy the thing (to say nothing of being able to purchase tokens from the likes of Amazon). At which point you can happily download and install like any other pirate but safe in the knowledge your money is finding its way to the devs.

At this point you are down a slightly easier download method and online play on official servers (assuming you can't just find some new keys or something, and there are no third party servers).

Where are these people? Nobody here seems to be really harbouring under such a delusion.

You're right, off topic. I'm done with this conversation.

RetroNostalgia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Waiting on features.

If it's the most convenient way for turning on mods on the go from a fresh boot then yes.

Can be used to access Atmosphere too in some way then I will be really tempted.

Mostly bothered about opening up systems media app capabilities. Running RetroArch for massive library of 90's arcade games is my goal though.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will be buying it, I loooove my hardware hacks. Still have modchipped Xbox, PS1, PS2, PS Jailbreak and TruBlue dongles, Xbox360 RGH and a WODE on my Wii :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh