Gaming Why are original Pokémon cartridges so expensive?

Hilbert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wanted to buy original Pokémon cartridges, but does anyone know why they are so expensive? I didn't find the right prices for them.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
People believe they have the holy grail of games because Pokémon games are "popular", that explains overpriced cartridges.

Depending on the console you're willing to play, get a flashcard (for NDS games) and you won't need a Pokémon cartridge again. The same applies for GBA and GB/GBC games. For 3DS its even simpler as you only need to mod you console.

Reactions: CoolMe

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wanted to buy original Pokémon cartridges, but does anyone know why they are so expensive? I didn't find the right prices for them.
Supply and demand -- as usual. If there are (enough) people willing to pay inflated prices for old stuff, the prices go up. "Collector's item" This is not limited to Pokémon or video games.
In my opinion, the best (legal) way for game series that a known to become overly expensive is: Monitoring the prices after initial release. Usually they get a lot cheaper than when new after some time... and the price gradually increases after some years. This has been pretty accurate for Pokémon in the past. I got mine with a delay of about two years.

Depending on the console you're willing to play, get a flashcard (for NDS games) and you won't need a Pokémon cartridge again. The same applies for GBA and GB/GBC games. For 3DS its even simpler as you only need to mod you console.
For the morally flexible (to choose a mild wording), a hacked 3DS should suffice to play anything from Red/Blue/Green/Yellow to Ultra Moon/Sun.
In any case: Illegal options are still illegal options.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Even 3DSes are going up to ridiculous prices. Right now the most sensible option is any kind of DS console (preferably the ones with GBA slot), as that would allow you to play GB/GBC/GBA and DS games.

You can spend the right amount getting any 3DS but, again, try to get one with a good pricing. Looks like any console and game will end up costing like crazy, for no reason other than price distortions pushed by certain big actors on the market. And then people follow that.

• Sad
Reactions: PopcornSweetie

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's very meritorious that you're thinking about buying the games. I'm not big into pokemon myself, though I do have the pokemon switch preordered, and I plan to get the games this Fall. anyway, I've seen some outrageous prices for some games. I own a retron 3, which I'd play them on, but I have limited funds. I will not use a flash cart or whatever. I feel in doing so, you might as well play on an emulator at that point. I want everything to be original as possible, even if the system isn't the original one.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They're collector's items, good games, and valuable pieces of nostalgia all at once. Also, it's Pokemon.

I think it doesn't help that the later games are so, well...different. People who love Gen 5 and prior will be hunting the games they never got on release and kept, and sellers know that.

I've gone back and bought the cartridges I care about over the years and they weren't too bad. You guys in the U.S. have some insane prices, our prices on UK eBay aren't that bad.

Reactions: Hilbert

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supply and demand, but also that the market was inundated with fake cartridges so you have to be careful not to buy a pirated one. The latter is mainly why I don't buy GB/GBC/GBA games anymore and I got plans to move elsewhere, anyhow.

Reactions: CoolMe

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Because the video game collecting market went crazy up over the last two years for some reason. It's impacting a lot of games and consoles. Pokémon carts have always been more on the expensive side so the boost has impacted them a lot more.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Supply and demand, but also that the market was inundated with fake cartridges so you have to be careful not to buy a pirated one. The latter is mainly why I don't buy GB/GBC/GBA games anymore and I got plans to move elsewhere, anyhow.
Really good point that I totally forgot myself, and you're so right. The deluge of fakes has done nothing to help the affordability of genuine carts.

Honestly though I don't understand how anyone with two brain cells to rub together falls for it.

Hmm, I'm struggling to find Heart Gold for a reasonable price, but look! This seller from China has 50+ in stock at £14.95 each! Success! :tpi:

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Really good point that I totally forgot myself, and you're so right. The deluge of fakes has done nothing to help the affordability of genuine carts.

Honestly though I don't understand how anyone with two brain cells to rub together falls for it.

Hmm, I'm struggling to find Heart Gold for a reasonable price, but look! This seller from China has 50+ in stock at £14.95 each! Success! :tpi:
I wouldn't trust nothing from china unless they have extremely good recent feedbacks. I wouldnt be surprised if they dont claim duty fees to those and they wind up another few dozen bucks to get. As well as being horribly slow to get.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't trust nothing from china unless they have extremely good recent feedbacks. I wouldnt be surprised if they dont claim duty fees to those and they wind up another few dozen bucks to get. As well as being horribly slow to get.
Absolutely, definitely not the games themselves.

Although I will voice one exception which is Play-Asia. I bought a copy of Dragon Quest V for the DS from them around 3/4 years ago and it was the genuine thing, sealed in box. I know my carts and it's definitely no fake. No clue where the hell they got it from a decade after its release but I was impressed. That was a fine addition to the collection.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
The reason for the price is simple. The retro game market is simply fucket and prices went up for everything. That plus the Pokemon TCG hype where people sell rare cards for thousands. This somehow makes people believe Pokemon games are worth more than others despite them selling in the millions back then.

This may play a role too but a lot of people who played the games as kids now have disposable income to burn.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may play a role too but a lot of people who played the games as kids now have disposable income to burn.
Even if they don't they still join in, it's like buying a $1k phone (everyone does it, so why not me!).

And then they cry they're in debt, debts they could have avoided quite easily.

People need to be wise with their money and not use CCs like it's their own money.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
it's a combination of things.
Retro market scalping, plus supply and demand.
But something I haven't seen other users talk about is the importance of a legit cart.
The reason it's important is a lot of the later pokemon titles (starting from GBAish)
Is the inter connectivity and verification.
For example, pokemon dream radar requires a copy of pokemon black 2 or white 2. Nothing else.
if you want to transfer pokemon from heartgold to pokemon black and white (2), it HAS to be a legit cart (if you want to guarantee it'll work). Since it checks the cart through ds download play.
And if you get a repro or knock off, titles tended to have some issues or non working features.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely, definitely not the games themselves.

Although I will voice one exception which is Play-Asia. I bought a copy of Dragon Quest V for the DS from them around 3/4 years ago and it was the genuine thing, sealed in box. I know my carts and it's definitely no fake. No clue where the hell they got it from a decade after its release but I was impressed. That was a fine addition to the collection.
The definitive way I read is by opening the cartridge and verifying its board, but *hopefully* most old Nintendo handheld cartridges out there on eBay are genuine.

I'd open them just to be safe. There's even fakes of anime DVDs which looks identical to the real thing and it's hard to tell it's a fake. One way of knowing? They use DVD5 discs rather than DVD9 as they're a lot cheaper, so with that alone you can see the video/audio quality is inferior.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I would not open DS games. They are ultrasonic welded and while you can glue them back together it looks ugly. If you are buying an infrared enabled game it's very easy to tell because the plastic looks much darker than regular games. If not you can still tell by the 2 squares in the Nintendo DS logo at the top. The fakes always get the bottom square wrong and it looks rather blurry compared with pixelated on genuine games.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would not open DS games. They are ultrasonic welded and while you can glue them back together it looks ugly. If you are buying an infrared enabled game it's very easy to tell because the plastic looks much darker than regular games. If not you can still tell by the 2 squares in the Nintendo DS logo at the top. The fakes always get the bottom square wrong and it looks rather blurry compared with pixelated on genuine games.
I was talking mainly about GB/GBC/GBA.

GB and GBC fake carts generally don't have the Nintendo logo so that's a dead giveaway it's a repro cartridge, but when it comes to GBA it gets a bit harder to tell.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
when it comes to GBA it gets a bit harder to tell.
My trick for identifying fakes is looking at the Game Boy Advance logo above the sticker. The genuine one looks rather even/flat and very high quality in general. The text looks smaller and pointier on fakes. With translucent cases you can also tell by the PCB which looks very different for fakes.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think he has a wedgie, and is afraid to fix it in public.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else he caught one of those Florida STD's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psis difficulty meter is Stds like how south park made it race color
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah it's skin color for difficulty in south park

is it, by that logic, blackface to play on the hardest difficulty if you're white?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Psi, you ever been on a date and ran into another past date? And how did you handle it? Just curious.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He just says this is the neighbor across the block and says sorry their mail got mixed up
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, this sounds unhinged, but someone (i forgot who) saying they'd want to make their left 4 dead team wario, samus, captain falcon and nester gave me the idea for a quick round of fuck marry kill/bed wed behead
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck marry kill:
    wario, samus, captain falcon
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i gotta say fuck captain falcon, because he's hot (no homo), marry samus, because she seems like good wife (or as BigOnYa says, wifey) material, and kill wario, because he can't die, so killing him won't really kill him
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but uhhh that's just me hehe
    iu
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    good night guys
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, wise one, thanks for trying to help.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    To sleep perchance to dream!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My state has put a heavy tax on vape juice, taxing any juice with nicotine by the weight/oz. So to get around the bs, my local vape store only sells 0 nicotine vape juices, then they also sell straight nicotine in tiny bottles, and you mix it yourself to your 0% juice, lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, is that Wing from South Park?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    BigOnYa hmmm I wonder how long until someone just vapes the straight nicotine lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was gonna say people are not that dumb, but yea you right, some are.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People have put 50mg salt nic in straight subohm coils which is like more powerful hits
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey psi, do they have dress codes down there in FLa, here there are signs on stores that say "No shirt, no service" but curious bout down yonder
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I tried the salts and too strong for me, I prefer the norm juice
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In Florida they don't serve you if you have clothes on
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: In Florida they don't serve you if you have clothes on +1