Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this is anything to go by, people are seeing the similar threads and not noticing the date difference. Might be a good idea to have a warning symbol or something for threads X years without a reply, something to make people aware.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I seen three old threads necrobumped 2 yesterday and 1 today

they are all from around 2008-2009
why don't we lock them because more and more people will bump them
Sometimes people don't realize how old a thread is, I've made that mistake myself.
With the "Similar Threads" feature it's now easier for people to discover old threads where before you pretty much had to find it in a search.
If people keep necrobumping the same thread, then it will get locked. If they don't there's no problem.
Plus sometimes there might actually be a legitimate reason for necrobumping a thread so it's not a good idea to lock old threads automatically.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes people don't realize how old a thread is, I've made that mistake myself.
With the "Similar Threads" feature it's now easier for people to discover old threads where before you pretty much had to find it in a search.
If people keep necrobumping the same thread, then it will get locked. If they don't there's no problem.
Plus sometimes there might actually be a legitimate reason for necrobumping a thread so it's not a good idea to lock old threads automatically.
Yeah, I got a similar thread option and was about to talk in that thread when I realized that the thread was 10+ years old. Seriously.

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

The GBATemp Hacker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: SirNapkin1334

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Why is "Necrobumping" such a big deal on these forums? :blink:
because the people who see these old threads in new threads feed and start answer to the people in there like they are still around... that is the main problem...

personally i am ok with necro, it helps keeping the stuff organizated and in one place, instead of the same stuff in separated 1000 threads, or questioned again and again.. the problem is, an old thread creates plenty of pages and stuff gets burried inside..

i think this should be solved with warnings in case someone is trying to reply to a thread either made +6 months ago, or a warning if the last reply is like 3 months old or something like that

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Because normally necrobumping doesn't add anything of value to the thread, it's essentially spam.
per contrair... plenty of cases i seen new corners solving the OP issue or giving valuable info.. or you know, ask a tiny question totally related within that thread and info gets in the same place..
but the thing is, usually the OP is long gone, or you know, he moved on from that subject long ago and it's no longuer relevant

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
per contrair... plenty of cases i seen new corners solving the OP issue or giving valuable info.. or you know, ask a tiny question totally related within that thread and info gets in the same place..
but the thing is, usually the OP is long gone, or you know, he moved on from that subject long ago and it's no longuer relevant
Those are the exceptions.
In my experience the OP is usually long gone by the time the thread is necrobumped. Or someone necrobumps a thread just to ask an unrelated question.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In my experience the OP is usually long gone by the time the thread is necrobumped.
Forums are public exactly so that any future reader can benefit from answers to other people's problems...

(sorry if the 3DS Homebrew "Development" and Emulation has conditioned your mind to believe the same questions should be reasked every day; it had taken its toll on me too)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
whats the problem? if they didn't want necrobumps, they would auto close threads after X months.
We don't allow useless necrobumping, which is the problem. If someone is just going to some years old thread to say "WOW THIS IS OLD", or to reply to some joke told in 2006, or to try and partake in a discussion that's been 10 years dead, that's bad.

If they're going to some old thread to provide legitimate information, ie a solution to a long unsolved problem, or an update on an old homebrew, or a new link to some old program etc etc that's fine.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Forums are public exactly so that any future reader can benefit from answers to other people's problems...

(sorry if the 3DS Homebrew "Development" and Emulation has conditioned your mind to believe the same questions should be reasked every day; it had taken its toll on me too)
Indeed, but responding to the OP or asking them questions when the OP is long gone is pointless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2: +1