Hacking Why do flashcarts have timebombs?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
R4i Gold 3DS RTS and R4i Gold 3DS Plus are the only R4 flashcarts with no time bombs, one of the reasons why it is a high demand flashcart these days.

Do you really think noobs would care or read it?
Anyone with a bit of common sense would but you're forgetting the part that scrubs will continuously make dumb decisions that end up costing them a fuck ton more then what it would if they read a thing or two.
Not to mention, you think they can even comprehend it?

Reactions: dpad_5678

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you really think noobs would care or read it?
Anyone with a bit of common sense would but you're forgetting the part that scrubs will continuously make dumb decisions that end up costing them a fuck ton more then what it would if they read a thing or two.
Not to mention, you think they can even comprehend it?
Everyone is entitled to make mistakes, you can't expect everyone to just know what works and what doesn't right off the top of their head. How do you know if this person is new to the scene or not? Do you know if he was misled by someone else? Are flashcart collectors "scrubs" as well even though they know what has time bombs and what doesn't? There is a difference between someone who truly doesn't know and someone who actually is an idiot. You have to be able to tell the difference rather than sticking most people with questions pertaining to flashcarts into one category and labeling them "scrubs".

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Everyone is entitled to make mistakes, you can't expect everyone to just know what works and what doesn't right off the top of their head. How do you know if this person is new to the scene or not? Do you know if he was misled by someone else? Are flashcart collectors "scrubs" as well even though they know what has time bombs and what doesn't? There is a difference between someone who truly doesn't know and someone who actually is an idiot. You have to be able to tell the difference rather than sticking most people with questions pertaining to flashcarts into one category and labeling them "scrubs".

I've had noobies asking me repeatedly if they could burn games on a CD and bang it in a unmodded 360, expecting to play games that way.
I've also had noobies who where ill informed about shit thank me for the advice I gave them.

Sometimes it's literally more simple to just tell them to avoid some things.
Sometimes, explaining doesn't help at all, especially if they care for nothing but pirating.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had noobies asking me repeatedly if they could burn games on a CD and bang it in a unmodded 360, expecting to play games that way.
I've also had noobies who where ill informed about shit thank me for the advice I gave them.

Sometimes it's literally more simple to just tell them to avoid some things.
Sometimes, explaining doesn't help at all, especially if they care for nothing but pirating.
Then ignore them, why bother getting frustrated over something so petty as this lol.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You obviously are new here...
Psssh hell no lol, I am new to GBAtemp but in terms of flashcarts, homebrew, and modding in general I have been around the block many times, I got my first flashcart back in 2007, as I got older I was able to understand things much more about these things and then some, so here I am today with all the information that I know. Nothing of mine is ground breaking but it is still useful for people to have and or know.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You obviously are new here...
Even so this doesn't justify a reason to be kinda rude lol.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway should stop with the timebombs in the flashcards that they make. Ditto for Acekard.
I have an Acekard 2i, it doesn't have a time bomb at all. I can't speak for the Acekard RPG but I know for a fact the Acekard 2i doesn't because I still have mine from many years ago and it still works to this day. I already tested it by toggling the year on my DS console.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Psssh hell no lol, I am new to GBAtemp but in terms of flashcarts, homebrew, and modding in general I have been around the block many times, I got my first flashcart back in 2007, as I got older I was able to understand things much more about these things and then some, so here I am today with all the information that I know. Nothing of mine is ground breaking but it is still useful for people to have and or know.

Even so this doesn't justify a reason to be kinda rude lol.

2007, right with the first slot-1 NDS flashcards.
Been part of that game longer then that kiddo.

I'm not being rude.
Simply saying that you've got a long way to go before you realize that some noobs will never learn.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2007, right with the first slot-1 NDS flashcards.
Been part of that game longer then that kiddo.

I'm not being rude.
Simply saying that you've got a long way to go before you realize that some noobs will never learn.
Ok? So some people will never learn? That isn't any type of new information.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Timebombs? NDS flash carts have these?

My Supercard DSTWO is still working. I also own a EZ-Flash V, Supercard SD, Supercard mini Rumble, a Ninjapass, and a Supercard One... Will they stop working one day?

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source? Never heard about this before.

And I'd contest about GW's being an actual timebomb since it serves a different purpose but that's for another day.
Last I checked this was only an R4 type of thing.

Timebombs? NDS flash carts have these?

My Supercard DSTWO is still working. I also own a EZ-Flash V, Supercard SD, Supercard mini Rumble, a Ninjapass, and a Supercard One... Will they stop working one day?
No they will work just fine, I have a SuperCard DSTWO Plus, Acekard 2i, R4i SDHC 3DS RTS, R4i Gold 3DS Plus, and DS-Xtreme 2GB. None of which has a time bomb, I also used to have an EZ-Flash III (Orange) and that didn't have a time bomb either.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
An even better answer would be to avoid R4 all together and settle for an Acekard or Supercard instead.
The R4i Gold 3DS RTS/Plus is superior or equal to the acekard 2i in almost every way. I think that it's more important to maintain compatibility with recent DSi and 3DS versions than to make sure that no one confuses the cards.

Gateway should stop with the timebombs in the flashcards that they make. Ditto for Acekard.
Gateway has no timebomb. No wood card (legit and clones) that I know of has a timebomb. Ace3ds has no timebomb etc.
Cards with timebombs are only a few namely the r4isdhc.com cards from 2014 on, the r4i-sdhc.com 3DS RTS, the r4i-sdhc.com 3DS B9S and maybe a few others. But the big majority of flashcards doesn't have a timebomb.

Reactions: cvskid and Ryccardo

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Correct, no "expired" garbage lol.

R4i Gold 3DS RTS and R4i Gold 3DS Plus are the only R4 flashcarts with no time bombs, one of the reasons why it is a high demand flashcart these days.

Here I will save everyone the trouble of finding everything:

YSmenu:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/

Wood R4 for clones and other various flashcarts: (keep in mind these are not official Wood kernels so of course some of them will be outdated for certain flashcarts and or may not work altogether.)
https://forum.romulation.net/threads/wood-r4-the-new-firmware-99-8-compatibility-ck3.39701/
There are others without a time bomb. General rule is the ones with a year printed on them are likely to have timebombs but there are plenty of carts that don't have years printed on them and I'm guessing won't have a timebomb.
R4iDSN I'm pretty sure doesn't have a time bomb either. It's the only other flashcart with official Wood R4 besides the r4ids.cn carts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: