Question Why do mentioning consoles get hyperlinked?

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see now that every thread which mentions the name of a console contains a hyperlink that redirects you to the console discussion page. Was there a reason to add this feature in the first place, maybe to help new users know where to look?

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Thinking about it more, I feel like it should only link if you say "x forum" (eg "3DS forum"). Same thing for threads of homebrew software ("Nintendont thread"). As I said before, it's unnecessary to link to the forum when a console it just casually mentioned, but if you say something like "3DS forum", it makes a lot more sense to link

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thinking about it more, I feel like it should only link if you say "x forum" (eg "3DS forum"). Same thing for threads of homebrew software ("Nintendont thread"). As I said before, it's unnecessary to link to the forum when a console it just casually mentioned, but if you say something like "3DS forum", it makes a lot more sense to link
I hear you man, but even at that, typically when I mention a different forum I don’t mean go fish somewhere in the Switch forum and good luck. If I want to reference something I will take the time to actually link it. The usefulness of being able to click Switch and start at the top of the Switch forum is debatable, especially with the tabs up top just inches away that do the same thing.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Gotta say not a fan of this, it feels like those sketchy sites where random words that get linked to ads and such, if it sticks around I would appreciate it being optional

I also agree that if it sticks around it should be stricter like requiring 3DS Forum not just 3DS, Switch is the worst as it even gets like "now switch this option off"... even in those cases I'd just grab the links myself though

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is? And why do you have it zoomed in?
You need to plug it to charge btw.

👇 Here's how it looks to me:
Screenshot_20221207-Chrome.jpg

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
great example of the futility of it in its current form:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-ther...-t-t-im-also-using-vwii.622837/#post-10018345
magiklinks.png

With the help of magik links (tm), you can get from the Wii section to the ... Wii section!
Although it would probably be convenient if the links would lead to other mentioned, mentioned and written in a non-standard way (and not mentioned) USB loaders.
In general, now it is useless. And pointless.

Reactions: binkinator

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dont know if it also should be like that. If you create a headline they get also hyperlinked, in the main text or post (TextSIZE=3) its ok for sure. E.g. :
This is a headline to Nintendont (TextSIZE=4/Bold)
This is a headline to Nintendont (TextSIZE=5/Bold)
This is a headline to Nintendont

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't see the existence of this feature as problem, it is quite useful to be honest, newcomers don't have to look up something being mentioned and people replying don't have to link everything manually, but my suggestions to improve it are:
  1. Only apply it to new posts, I don't think old posts should be affected by this unless they are edited from now on.
  2. Add a toggle on the post/reply box and make it clear when an hyperlink will be inserted as you type.
  3. Make so it don't link to the same forum the post is being made, because that is redundant.

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think this is a good idea for specific homebrew projects - Nintendont and the like but for general words like Wii, Wii U, Switch I feel like the usefulness isn't there. The main thing is giving the user the option to turn on or off this feature.

Reactions: SylverReZ

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
and now that is just plain cheeky:
donate
It should be a shame to be so persistently greedy.
Besides, the context probably won't apply to what the magik link (tm) wants so much.

Reactions: Dionicio3

Vine-gar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that it will end up obscuring real, useful hyperlinks and that it doesn't actually help do anything. If I was a new reader, I would get confused about why the author keeps linking to a specific section of the site.

Is the goal to get people to post in the correct section or to make sure users know how to navigate to the correct place to discuss these topics? I feel like the speculation in this thread is strong evidence that it's a solution in need of a problem.

Test: I want to see if I say Wii multiple times in a Wii row if it will Wii link to the Wii section each Wii time. Wii. Lowercase wii. WWII. Wii Wii et non.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Was really rather starting to annoy me, so here's a Userscript to get rid of it if anyone else wants it:

JavaScript:
// ==UserScript==
// @name     GBAtemp - No autolinks
// @match    https://gbatemp.net/*
// @version  1
// @grant    none
// ==/UserScript==

Array.from(document.getElementsByClassName("gbaKw")).forEach(r => r.replaceWith(r.innerText));

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D