Why do people get so triggered about introducing LGBT characters into movies?

WDragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really don't mind straight , gay's or Lgbt character if they are a part of the movie. I find it idiotic to force them into the script for the sake of social acceptance and moral. I find this very anti-climatic.

Reactions: Navonod

Navonod

Luigi from Luigi's Mansion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I did, wanna bring me up to speed?
Quit being lazy and google it. Lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Punching someone for their believes is not ok, that being said NAZIism is an inherent threat towards other people and should not be tolerated. Does this mean I think they should be punched for walking down the street? No, because even though they are literally the worst humans ever, they still haven't wronged anyone just yet. But it doesn't mean I believe they should be allowed to spread their NAZI ideologies and attempt to push them into politics. I personally think the best way to deal with them is to either attempt to help them or shut them down.
Well good luck with that.

Bitchplease

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I really don't mind straight , gay's or Lgbt character if they are a part of the movie. I find it idiotic to force them into the script for the sake of social acceptance and moral. I find this very anti-climatic.

what would make it a part of the movie? if they write in a gay/trans/bi/queer whatever person into the script its part of it right?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is a way.

Generally though all forms of entertainment are horribly limited on time and audience attention span so if you take the time to characterise someone then it wants to be the main character's arc, serve said arc in some way, characterise a supporting character or serve to establish the setting.

When however the, for want of a better term, tumblr set whines, bitches, pisses and moans for characters to have traits just because, tries to tell writers of such things what they should be and otherwise tries to get in the way of telling a good story then we said to see people truly take issue.

WDragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what would make it a part of the movie? if they write in a gay/trans/bi/queer whatever person into the script its part of it right?

Yes exactly, example: A movie about this kind of character's or i don't know a reason for that particular character to be there. Any type of movie may apply. You prefer they just throw those character's just because it help the community to be accept or cash on them?

Cinema is supposed to be entertainment not a platform for civil right. If you want civil acceptance join a political party.

Reactions: DarthDub

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>controversial question in OP

>12 pages

y i k e s

On topic, I think it's fine to include LGBT characters into movies (and i'm straight) just because that is how real people are, and movies should try to show off real things that happen in the real world, like LGBT characters.

Last edited by ItsKipz,

Bitchplease

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes exactly, example: A movie about this kind of character's or i don't know a reason for that particular character to be there. Any type of movie may apply. You prefer they just throw those character's just because it help the community to be accept or cash on them?

Cinema is supposed to be entertainment not a platform for civil right. If you want civil acceptance join a political party.

yes thats exactly what i want, i want diversity in what i watch, thats life! people are fat, thin, white, black, gay, bi, queer, trans, funny, angry
I cannot see why diversity makes it any less entertaining.

Reactions: Old

Navonod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>controversial question in OP

>12 pages

y i k e s

On topic, I think it's fine to include LGBT characters into movies (and i'm straight) just because that is how real people are, and movies should try to show off real things that happen in the real world, like LGBT characters.
What did you expect? Two comments from each side agreeing? This is how debates work, If you weren't aware.

WDragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes thats exactly what i want, i want diversity in what i watch, thats life! people are fat, thin, white, black, gay, bi, queer, trans, funny, angry
I cannot see why diversity makes it any less entertaining.

Hey! i am all about diversity. God know Hollywood is in dire need of diversity. I'm open for everything that life as to offer, but do not mix anti-climatic and wishful thinking. You want a movie about trans or with trans character be my guest and go watch one!
But do not force your own personal taste in every movie just for the sake of your own selfish diversity.

I know they exist, i live in MTL so yeah we are very open for every type of person they are nor persecuted. Look i don't want to spend a lifetime arguing with you. They exist, we are all aware. Saw one today make me though about this conversation lol. Some movie's will have some and some don't.

But hell like any other type of character's that exist in the universe we don't need to see them every in very film.

I hope it make sense, English as you can all see is not English!

Shit i will gain a level today. Anyone as some Don nearby :)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, Lando was always portrayed as a freewheeling player. 'Freaky deaky', as it were. I saw ESB in the theater, and the general consensus at the time was "maaaaannn, this guy exudes sexuality....seems like the type of dude that would stick his dick in ANYthing!"
The sort of character that the term 'omnisexual' was designed for.
Did we watch the same movie? The character I saw was a charming scam artist gone straight. A man who, even when threatened with violence by the most powerful and evil force in the galaxy, decided to join ranks with the rag-tag group of rebels out of the goodness of his heart. I don't think he had enough screen time to imply anything other than that.

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did we watch the same movie? The character I saw was a charming scam artist gone straight. A man who, even when threatened with violence by the most powerful and evil force in the galaxy, decided to join ranks with the rag-tag group of rebels out of the goodness of his heart. I don't think he had enough screen time to imply anything other than that.

Opinions; we've all got 'em. I'm telling you what it was like in 1980, I'll assume you weren't there for the full cultural impact.

Take this 'thread' as an example....I'm sure the OP had intended there to be an open and sincere dialogue on the subject, but due to the high concentration of ignorance and vileness that exists here, it's basically devolved into 'Gaslighting for Homophobes 101'.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Opinions; we've all got 'em. I'm telling you what it was like in 1980, I'll assume you weren't there for the full cultural impact.
Good first sentence, ruined on sentence 2.... I was also there in 1980, yet still have no idea what you're going on about with Lando there..

Back to topic, maybe I've got too old and uninterested in movies.. but I just don't see any of this triggered stuff?? It's almost as if, and don't get me wrong here, I've got plenty of gay and lesbian friends, but it's almost as if the LGBT extremists are making this up just to start shit - most of my lesbian/gay friends hate this hyperbole as much as I do..
Unless it's a nationality-cum-cultural thing: here in the UK and Europe the whole LGBT 'thing' seems much more 'accepted' here, whereas in the US....(and I could probably hand pick certain States out!)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because you cant choose who to accept.
Sure you can. I literally quoted you with the words of an Austrian professor who watched WWII happen and formed a thesis speech on what to do about it for future generations

Quit being lazy and google it. Lol
That is... The laziest argument tactic I've ever seen. But for what it's worth, I did Google him, and I saw nothing particularly negative. You're going to need to steer me in a specific direction

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing wrong by including LBGT characters into movies and series. As there never was with blacks or asians.

The problem starts, when the character is forced into the show, just for the sake of diversity. Just like with older movies, where the cast is white, but there is one black character (mostly killed of first in horrors), so the critics shut up.

One example: there is nothing wrong if somebody includes a gay character in a movie. Show his sexuality. But if every time he has screen time he has to flount it to the viewers, unnaturally, like he is "special" for his sexuality, not for his abilities or talents, it's unnatural.

There is difference between natural diversity and forced diversity.

That's pretty much it. Something I've seen recently that doesn't make a lot of sense to me are statistics on this issue, i.e. only 63 of 312 movies in 2017 had a LGBT in a major character role (I totally made that up, so please don't bother with correcting it), as if we need quotas on this or something. I saw a movie a few years ago called, "Moon," with Sam Rockwell. Except for some faces on a viewing monitor for several minutes, he was the only character in the film. But he wasn't gay. One more for the "not diverse enough" column, I guess.

Navonod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure you can. I literally quoted you with the words of an Austrian professor who watched WWII happen and formed a thesis speech on what to do about it for future generations

That is... The laziest argument tactic I've ever seen. But for what it's worth, I did Google him, and I saw nothing particularly negative. You're going to need to steer me in a specific direction

All you have to do is google his name and you get this. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2008/03/blind_faith.html
Seriously lol. The dude preaches hate speech especially against Jews. But you want to ignore that because he is black.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you have to do is google his name and you get this. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2008/03/blind_faith.html
Seriously lol. The dude preaches hate speech especially against Jews. But you want to ignore that because he is black.
I'm not ignoring anything, I just don't know enough about the situation to say anything one way or another. Given that apparently Fox News wrote an article about something pertaining to him yesterday I'm semi-inclined to say it's sensationalist media taking something out of context, but again... I don't know

I guess I'm confused as to why you're trying to use this as a "gotcha," though. I don't support racism of any sort, but if I'm reading that article correctly (which, admittedly, I may not be, given that I'm tired as shit after pulling consecutive 8 hour retail shifts), the worst that could be said about Rev Wright is that he thinks that white people in some way contribute to the AIDs epidemic specifically within the black community, whereas you have Nazis (the people I was talking about) marching with tiki torches chanting "blood and soil" and saying that all Jews must die

Edit: And also, no, I don't get that result when searching Google. Google specifically tailors search results to be "relevant" to previous online activity, so it's possible that it's giving us different results

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,
Reactions: lordkaos

Navonod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not the only article and it's the most tame. Last time I linked something extreme it made you uncomfortable. This isn't really "gotcha I win" but more of a here punch this guy to because he is just as bad as a klan member.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one