Hardware Why is the 3ds menu better then the Wii U?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've been thinking about this lately and it baffles me. Why does the 3ds menu better/ have more features then the Wii U?

*Folders
*Playlists with total, average, and number of times played per game, all ranked however you want
*DLC can be purchused ingame without rebooting
*Eshop titles are installed automatically

I know upates are coming in Spring Summer, but you would really think since they have the same menu structure the Wii U menu would be at least as good as the 3ds one.

Rant over, back to playing games now.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My honest answer: I don't know. I can poke a few cynical guesses (they want to have something to advertise over the upcoming months, they want to thwart pirates by putting powerusers to the dilemma where the system menu actually improves as well as removes piracy, or the most obvious one: it was done by a different team), but I can't come up with something that's really plausible.

My main gripe with this, however, is how the f*** this menu is so slow in everything. I get that HD-games aren't started in a flash-second, but something as returning to the main menu really shouldn't take this long. The freakin' wii menu is better than this!

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
1. That wasn't available when the 3DS launched either.
2. That's not the menu, that's the Activity log.
3. Cartridges are not the same as discs.
4. The idea behind installing your downloads is so that if you delete them, you don't have to re-download them. You just re-install.

Reactions: fossda

mysticwaterfall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. That wasn't available when the 3DS launched either.
2. That's not the menu, that's the Activity log.
3. Cartridges are not the same as discs.
4. The idea behind installing your downloads is so that if you delete them, you don't have to re-download them. You just re-install.

1. Agreed, but considering the Wii U came out a year after this, you think it could be added.

2. There is no reason the activity log should be worse on the Wii u.

3. This has nothing to do without, the DLC in both cases is stored differently from the game. (SD card on 3ds, system on Wii U). No reason it can't work the same way.

4. You still have to redownload if you delete them, the Wii U doesn't keep the download seperate after install. Again, no reason it cant install after dl.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
3. This has nothing to do without, the DLC in both cases is stored differently from the game. (SD card on 3ds, system on Wii U). No reason it can't work the same way.

Regardless of whether DLC is directly patched to a game or the system itself, discs would have to reload themselves because the DLC has to load with the game when it boots up, this also applies to the 3DS system menu when you update the firmware, for example.

However, this doesn't apply to game cartridges, as they are always loading new data, any DLC would load itself when the game loads up new information.

mysticwaterfall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of whether DLC is directly patched to a game or the system itself, discs would have to reload themselves because the DLC has to load with the game when it boots up, this also applies to the 3DS system menu when you update the firmware, for example.

However, this doesn't apply to game cartridges, as they are always loading new data, any DLC would load itself when the game loads up new information.

discs are also always loading new information, unless you think the entire disc is somehow loaded into memory all at once
Now for a major game update, I can see rebooting. But for little things like pinball tables in Zen pinball its just silly when games like Mario and Thetarhytm can do it in game with no problem. It's just a matter of programming it to do that.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it has to do with the miiverse integration, the problem just feels like nintendo rushed a new version of their OS that had some core pieces built from scratch. Anyway, just give it time and I'm sure it will get a bit more polished.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk