Why is there so much English in foreign games?

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find it quite odd when I'm playing a Japanese import game and I find a significant quantity of English in it. Words like "Score" "Time" "Ready" "Round #" "Fight" are all in English, often without Japanese equivalents. Do all Japanese people speak English? I know if I was playing the US version of a game and there were untranslated Japanese characters for my score, level, etc. etc. I would be confused as hell.

So, I'm dying to know, what's the deal with all the English in foreign games?

Edit: For example: http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/72...28070958082.jpg

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The short answer is YES, all japanese people speak some English. They don't speak it well, but everyone knows a few thousand English words because they've actually been integrated into the japanese language as part of their everyday speech.

When the Normans invaded England in 1066, the Anglo-Saxon Old English was drastically changed by the influx of French words. This had already happened several hundred years before when the Saxons came in. And it had happened during the Roman occupation as well. This is why we have so many ways of saying the same thing in English.

The same kind of revolution is happening in the japanese language now,and has been for about 100 years. They use English they don't even know is English. Add to that the fact that all japanese people take 6 years of English as a foreign language during jr. high and high school, and you've got a culture that's very well versed in our basic vocabulary.

English words are "cool" in Japan. Very few pop songs don't have a short English phrase in the lyrics, and lots of coffee shops, bars, clothing shops and etc. there have English names. These names and phrases are usually rather meaningless though. Check out engrish.com.

haohmaru6

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From some stuff I have read, Japanese people use English in their stuff as a cultural "coolness" thing, comparable much the same way to English uses of foreign language phrases and words like "Hasta la vista" "Sayonara" "Ciao" "Deja vu" "Auf wiederzein" etc.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention the US & Hollywood are responsible for most of the
big blockbuster movies out there. So if you watch movies even subtitled
your subjected to a large amount of English. And over time certain English
words become common even in a place like Japan.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info! For a minute I thought they were doing it in games to make them import friendly!
biggrin.gif

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I like english and spanish, there's even this spanglish thing like:

"estaciona el auto = park the car" So across the mexican/american border everyone says "parkea el auto" very silly but it works for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    she was an apple appstore girl
    he was an uptodown boy
    He was an android boy
    She said see ya later boy lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    something something boomer and r/im14andthisisdeep "ThAt'S tHe UnFoRtUnAtE sTaTe Of OuR mOdErN sOcIeTy"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    except they'd criticize you for having a phone in the first place lmao
    In my day we used smoke signals and liked it!!!
    +1
    5G gives you covid!! Kills bees and lets the devil control your sperm!!! *Walks away frothing at the mouth*
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    back in my day we just talked in person to communicate, and used books for entertainment, now pull yourself up by the bootstraps and develop a sense of work ethic, ya darn whippersnappers!
  • NormalCatelol @ NormalCatelol:
    "lets the devil control you sperm!!!" iwantsummadat!
    NormalCatelol @ NormalCatelol: "lets the devil control you sperm!!!" iwantsummadat!