Hacking Why Nintendo can't rely on Pin 10 reading

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't need to be 100% reliable if the pin is always low on readout they'd have some degree of separation between probabilistic occurrence and ''this exceeds probability".

And if they respond to such bans with 'send in for repair' they just remove an old SoC from circulation. They'd know if you were banned for a hardware related queery.

I doubt they'd ban based on this either way. They ban for piracy which is far easier for then to detect if your sending them online data for then to be reading your pin status.

Reactions: Onibi

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Doesn't need to be 100% reliable if the pin is always low on readout they'd have some degree of separation between probabilistic occurrence and ''this exceeds probability".

And if they respond to such bans with 'send in for repair' they just remove an old SoC from circulation. They'd know if you were banned for a hardware related queery.

I doubt they'd ban based on this either way. They ban for piracy which is far easier for then to detect if your sending them online data for then to be reading your pin status.
i doubt they will ban purely on this, they may rise a internal flag in their system and if anythign else thats is strange happens like let us say using fakemons its a console ban.

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would argue that Nintendo can just use it as a feature of many to make a final determination about a switch. You don't have to decide based on it, but you can reason in connection with other things.

To me, this sounds like a perfectly good first indicator to scan for and then run some potentially more in-depth analysis.

I wouldn't do it.

But I gotta say, a 3d printed part sure would be convenient to have ...

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Again, staff has already confirmed this. They even brought up the "lows and highs" for floating pins and stated that they can't determine a hacked console this way. They've squashed all doubts about this. There's a whole discussion that was pertaining to it in the chat. It cannot be detected via grounding pin 10. At all. Probability be damned.

Because I can google and read, I can do research:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-floating-input-gate
But what happens if one or both of the inputs is left unconnected, so no signal is applied to it at all? We say it's left to float, which means it's in an indeterminate state: maybe high, maybe low, maybe somewhere in the middle. Worse, it may even change depending on other conditions in the environment. That means the output may be unreliable, and that's usually not what we want.

Attachments

• confirmation2.PNG
    confirmation2.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by Deathscreton,
Reactions: ken28

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, what about MagnetHax though?
Reed switch is a electrical switch activated by a magnet. I'm installing one inside the joycon so that the internal joycon hardmod pin shorting will (hopefully) only happen when I hold a magnet to the joycon. Which is basically a fun way to make FG work like magnethax on 3ds.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you run unauthorized software, you are going to get banned. EZ

you agreed to not run that stuff when you bought it/turned it on/updated/existed.

however they detect it is moot. assume banning and be happy if you don't. this rule has existed since the era of online play guys.
but what if i play through a vpn
what if i play at a library so they don't know where i am
what if i pay jimmy from down the street to set up my network so im invisible /s

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reed switch is a electrical switch activated by a magnet. I'm installing one inside the joycon so that the internal joycon hardmod pin shorting will (hopefully) only happen when I hold a magnet to the joycon. Which is basically a fun way to make FG work like magnethax on 3ds.
Would LOVE to see a write up of that(if you have the time of course). Stellar idea.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, staff has already confirmed this. They even brought up the "lows and highs" for floating pins and stated that they can't determine a hacked console this way. They've squashed all doubts about this. There's a whole discussion that was pertaining to it in the chat. It cannot be detected via grounding pin 10. At all. Probability be damned.

Because I can google and read, I can do research:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-floating-input-gate
Is it definitely floating on the switch? There may well be a pull up resistor on board. Additionally, if that pin is occasionally driven high and the Switch is unable to do so, then that can be detected.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but what if i play through a vpn
what if i play at a library so they don't know where i am
what if i pay jimmy from down the street to set up my network so im invisible /s

I've already figured out the easiest way to pirate Switch games and even to pirate the CONSOLE ITSELF!

1. Contact a person that has a Switch and the game you want to play
  2. Ask them to let you play
  3. When they say yes, BOOM, free switch and game of your choosing
  4. CONSOLE BANNED - you didn't pay for the game or the switch, Nintendo detected it

Reactions: Deathscreton

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...it isn't that hard. The question is what's the certainty threshold nintendo has to have before they ban people. We can look at past bans for that. It's quite possible they're happy with the risk of possibly banning a few non-hacky folks, if they think it'll hamper abuse. They might not. But you can't assume they won't, that's just head-in-the-sand thinking. "sometimes on" isn't the same thing as "always on". There's the possibility they can extract a higher certainty than you think they can. There's enough unknown in this situation to warrant a bit more caution.

Last edited by osaka35,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probability be damned
Probability is kinda the whole point. We all agree that it's floating and therefore you can't reliably say whether it should be high or low at any given point, right? Well, that's kinda what makes it detectable if it's then suddenly 100% a certain way every single time you scan it. I think it's probably ridiculous to think they would actually do this, but it's also wrong to say it can't look suspicious if being scanned.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probability is kinda the whole point. We all agree that it's floating and therefore you can't reliably say whether it should be high or low at any given point, right? Well, that's kinda what makes it detectable if it's then suddenly 100% a certain way every single time you scan it. I think it's probably ridiculous to think they would actually do this, but it's also wrong to say it can't look suspicious if being scanned.
The point being made by the devs is that, even when it's NOT shorted, the pin can STILL show as grounded for looong periods of times. It doesn't matter because shorted or not, the pin looks like it's behaving in a way a floating pin behaves. There is no way useful and meaningful way to determine this. Not to mention having to query the pin as rapidly as needed to tell if it's grounded or not is a terrible way to detect unauthorized modifications.

Reactions: Quantumcat

cmsj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I'm not sure I get how this can be true - if the early boot sequence can tell that the Tegra's Home button is being held (i.e. pin 10 is shorted to ground) to trigger recovery mode, why couldn't Horizon read the status of the Tegra's Home button and know immediately that you've modded your joycon?

Reactions: kombos

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: balls over