Misc Why the FUCK won't this javascript just fucking work?

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
OP
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
The script: https://github.com/adryd325/oneko.js
The page I'm trying to make it work on: https://catboybeebop.neocities.org/pages/about.html

No matter what I fucking do it never shows up. I'm tired, hungry, pissed off, and don't get why it won't work. Everything is there in /scripts/. I added the script to the HTML correctly. I've tried making it the only script on the page. I even tried blanking out the page with the only addon being the script.

The STUPID FUCKING IDIOT demo page from the repo FOR SOME FUCKING REASON ACTUALLY WORKS BUT NO OTHER PAGES I PUT THE SCRIPT ON WORK. HELL ON EARTH.

sorry for yelling but i cant fucking take this anymore why the fuck isnt it working

• Wow
Reactions: impeeza

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It’s one thing to vent a bit here, but you really should edit your GitHub issue to be a little more polite to the creator. You aren’t likely to get any help from them when you’re shouting directly at them.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
done but if you happen to know what the hell is going on i would appreciate some help here
It’s one thing to vent a bit here, but you really should edit your GitHub issue to be a little more polite to the creator. You aren’t likely to get any help from them when you’re shouting directly at them.

tastymeatball

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First the script tag has to be put inside the body block of your document. The script refrences the body of the document which is not loaded when it finds the script tag in the header. Second the /img/maia_oneko.gif does not exist on your server.

Last edited by tastymeatball,
Reactions: Tomato123

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First the script tag has to put into inside the body block of your document. The script refrences the body of the document which is not loaded when it finds the script tag in the header. Second the /img/maia_oneko.gif does not exist on your server.
It's this ^
Mirrored the site and made these changes then it worked. Just move the script tag containing oneko.js into the body and make sure the gif exists. Also not sure why it's renamed to maia_oneko.gif but might cause more issues if you don't keep that in mind with your copy of the javascript.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes, lets be an idiot and swear a lot. Because that will help you get help from the developer... honestly. Just report bugs and ask help nicely.
To be fair, I know how infuriating it can be when something like this doesn't work. Feels like banging your head against a brick wall. A bit of an over reaction, but understandable imo.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
To be fair, I know how infuriating it can be when something like this doesn't work. Feels like banging your head against a brick wall. A bit of an over reaction, but understandable imo.
Oh of course, but if I need the help. I don't act like 12 year old having a tempertantrum to get the help needed from the dev.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
The script: https://github.com/adryd325/oneko.js
The page I'm trying to make it work on: https://catboybeebop.neocities.org/pages/about.html

No matter what I fucking do it never shows up. I'm tired, hungry, pissed off, and don't get why it won't work. Everything is there in /scripts/. I added the script to the HTML correctly. I've tried making it the only script on the page. I even tried blanking out the page with the only addon being the script.

The STUPID FUCKING IDIOT demo page from the repo FOR SOME FUCKING REASON ACTUALLY WORKS BUT NO OTHER PAGES I PUT THE SCRIPT ON WORK. HELL ON EARTH.

sorry for yelling but i cant fucking take this anymore why the fuck isnt it working
dont care for your attitude but wanted to comment on how GEOCITIES that site is....

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Just as a person looking at the GH issue, if this were on one of my projects, I'd assume you were a moron and a child. I'm not even sure I would help you beyond a `double check your setup`, since it is entirely...probably your setup.

No, it isn't understandable. Shouldn't even try to validate/justify that reaction. It's like calling up customer support and yelling at them for a shit product that doesn't work just because you don't know how to plug the machine into an outlet.

Last edited by jurassicplayer,

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, it isn't understandable. Shouldn't even try to validate/justify that reaction. It's like calling up customer support and yelling at them for a shit product that doesn't work just because you don't know how to plug the machine into an outlet.
Not saying it is the correct response as clearly it is not. No one should be shouting and swearing at anyone. Just saying it is understandable why they did get annoyed in that situation, not that taking it out on others is acceptable.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see the op aiming their frustration at anyone, just the problem.. which we have all been in!

Maybe take the swearing out of the title but again, venting is perfectly normal as its not aimed at a person. Again... We all been there so let's not make false accusations just because they swore alot!

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't see the op aiming their frustration at anyone, just the problem.. which we have all been in!

Maybe take the swearing out of the title but again, venting is perfectly normal as its not aimed at a person. Again... We all been there so let's not make false accusations just because they swore alot!
Check the Github

Reactions: Lostbhoy

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Just as a person looking at the GH issue, if this were on one of my projects, I'd assume you were a moron and a child. I'm not even sure I would help you beyond a `double check your setup`, since it is entirely...probably your setup.

i have checked my setup over and over and still don't understand what's going wrong. Everything is in the right place on neocities. But it just hates me for some reason.
Post automatically merged:

Hell, even then I didn't mean for my venting to be AT the dev. I didn't think it'd be read like that. Either way I am sorry for it though.

It's this ^
Mirrored the site and made these changes then it worked. Just move the script tag containing oneko.js into the body and make sure the gif exists. Also not sure why it's renamed to maia_oneko.gif but might cause more issues if you don't keep that in mind with your copy of the javascript.
right, shit. somehow thought Maia Crimew somehow changed something thatd make it work so I temporarily just pasted in her version of the script as a last resort.. still don't understand why it NEEDS the body tag. I KNOW it's "proper" html and all but man, if that ain't just annoying when the page renders all the same without it.

It works finally. Thank you all.

Last edited by jeffyTheHomebrewer,

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the-big-lebowski-jeff-bridges.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol