Homebrew Question Why won't my FTPD work?

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is my dilemma if you know a way to help with it. I all ethernet connections are to "Home" (AKA WiFi1) and wireless are to "home" (the Deco extension thing) (AKA WiFi2). The router is connecting WiFi1 to the Deco and computer through cable and the Deco takes that and transmits WiFi2 as wireless. The problem is that the router/WiFi1 is not being transmitted wirelessly, only through cable. how do I make it do both?. here is an image if you can even understand my terrible explaining

Just enable your wifi on that router.
On the post of yours with 5 pics, the first pic is the WiFi config.
I just noticed both say disabled. Just enable them.

TheRealMrBuushy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can try enabling that and see if it works. the problem is that when checking through the hub tabs and everything, it keeps mentioning this wifi name of VM(a bunch of numbers) but nothing about a network called "Home"

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some routers don't support wifi enable or are just modems sadly and his has wifi in it but I don't think it's adequate to cover the SQFT(Square Foot) of his residence so the owner used an extender with what feels like a awkward config.
EDIT: OP has a Virgin Media Hub 3 and Deco(extender)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can try enabling that and see if it works. the problem is that when checking through the hub tabs and everything, it keeps mentioning this wifi name of VM(a bunch of numbers) but nothing about a network called "Home"
Can you attach a photograph please? Also please censor any sensitive info.

TheRealMrBuushy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some routers don't support wifi enable or are just modems sadly and his has wifi in it but I don't think it's adequate to cover the SQFT(Square Foot) of his residence so the owner used an extender with what feels like a awkward config.

Can you attach a photograph, please? Also please censor any sensitive info.
photograph of what tab/part

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
photograph of what tab/part
The Tab(s) of the network VM thing Mainly just looking for how the Deco extender is setup to try and see if that's blocking the connection

TheRealMrBuushy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Tab(s) of the network VM thing Mainly just looking for how the Deco extender is setup to try and see if that's blocking the connection
upload_2021-6-28_18-41-4.png
what i have realized is that when I enabled wifi, the VM thing appeared on available connections but wherever the wifi is on or off, "Home" is still on my networks found on my switch, but I don't know the password for it, and can't seem to find anything about it on my router pages. it's like ethernet connects to something invisible.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
View attachment 268415what i have realized is that when I enabled wifi, the VM thing appeared on available connections but wherever the wifi is on or off, "Home" is still on my networks found on my switch, but I don't know the password for it, and can't seem to find anything about it on my router pages. it's like ethernet connects to something invisible.

Ethernet connection is not tethered to a name. "Home" is just the default name for the connection.
Connect your switch to that VMwhatever wifi and you should be good to go.

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ethernet connection is not tethered to a name. "Home" is just the default name for the connection.
Connect your switch to that VMwhatever wifi and you should be good to go.
Yes, this will then have both your PC and switch on the same exact network so they should be able to talk. Like how your phone and switch both used wifi to talk.

View attachment 268415what i have realized is that when I enabled wifi, the VM thing appeared on available connections but wherever the wifi is on or off, "Home" is still on my networks found on my switch, but I don't know the password for it, and can't seem to find anything about it on my router pages. it's like ethernet connects to something invisible.
Are you logging in as an admin or did the owner make you an account to login to the router/modem?

Last edited by laramie,

TheRealMrBuushy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, this will then have both your PC and switch on the same exact network so they should be able to talk. Like how your phone and switch both used wifi to talk.

Are you logging in as an admin or did the owner make you an account to login to the router/modem?
its the admin account

Reactions: laramie

TheRealMrBuushy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Then you will need to know 3 things:
1- the "public" IP of the Deco router/repeater.
2- the Deco admin account.
3- how to configure the Deco to port forward your PC connection to the switch.
1)I don't know how to get public IP of the deco, I have its IP address though.
2) I'm currently logged into the admin account
3) I'm on the tab for Port Forwarding on the deco, what do i do?
IMG_20210628_190214.jpg

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMG_20210628_190214.jpg
So since we need to forward the switch to the PC (because the deco can only talk to wifi) you'd put the IP for your PC where Internal IP goes, set the port to 5000 for ftp, server name is whatever you want, and no external port.

TheRealMrBuushy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So since we need to forward the switch to the PC (because the deco can only talk to wifi) you'd put the IP for your PC where Internal IP goes, set the port to 5000 for ftp, server name is whatever you want, and no external port.
Internal IP can only choose devices that are using the Deco (from a list)

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
IMG_20210628_190214.jpg

It's easier to use DMZ if the Deco has that option. Just put your swtich IP there.

It needs an external port for redirecting. Also your configuration is wrong.

External port can be anything from 1024 to 65535. It's the port your PC will connect to.
Internal IP is your Switch current IP.
Internal port is 5000.
But FTP usually uses 2 ports: one for data, one for control. The data port is random.
So it may not work on some clients/connection setups, depending on the daemon (server) implementation.

Now you'll need to find the Deco external (public) IP. It should show you what it is on its status page.
Then you will connect to the Deco public IP + external port, which will redirect you to your switch FTP server (effectively forwarding the connection to one port to another).

It should be something in the same range as your PC's (192.168.0.X)

Last edited by AlexMCS,

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's easier to use DMZ if the Deco has that option. Just put your swtich IP there.

External port can be anything from 1024 to 65535. It's the port your PC will connect to.
Internal port is 5000.
But FTP usually uses 2 ports: one for data, one for control. The data port is random.
So it may not work on some clients/connection setups, depending on the daemon (server) implementation.

Now you'll need to find the Deco external IP. It should show you what it is on its status page.
Then you will connect to the Deco public IP + external port, which will redirect you to your switch FTP server.
Sorry, no sleep really kills your brain! GL OP I'll checkup with this when I wake up. Cheers!

TheRealMrBuushy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Internal port is 5000.

Now you'll need to find the Deco external (public) IP. It should show you what it is on its status page.
Then you will connect to the Deco public IP + external port, which will redirect you to your switch FTP server (effectively forwarding the connection to one port to another).

It should be something in the same range as your PC's (192.168.0.X)
1) It does not support DMZ
2) Where do I put my switch IP?
3) What configuration is wrong? and how?
4) What should I put for the External port? any suggested ports or just something completely random?
5) How do I get to the status page because I can't seem to find it. all I know is the Deco LAN IP and its IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1) It does not support DMZ
2) Where do I put my switch IP?
3) What configuration is wrong? and how?
4) What should I put for the External port? any suggested ports or just something completely random?
5) How do I get to the status page because I can't seem to find it. all I know is the Deco LAN IP and its IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS

1) Then nevermind.
2) On the "Internal IP".
3) Laramie's, not yours.
4) You can just put 5000 as well, but it's up to you. It's just a number, no special meaning.
5) Just tell me what are these.

TheRealMrBuushy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) Then nevermind.
2) On the "Internal IP".
3) Laramie's, not yours.
4) You can just put 5000 as well, but it's up to you. It's just a number, no special meaning.
5) Just tell me what are these.
I put everything into port forwarding, should I set protocol as: All, TCP, or UPD?

LAN IP: 192.168.68.1
IP Address: 192.168.0.11
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 194.168.4.100
Secondary DNS: 194.168.8.100

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I think they should tie up diddy, and let all the victims come and abuse him, we'll make a...