Wii #2420 - Super Mario All-Stars - 25th Anniversary Edition (Europe)

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
George Dawes said:
Indeed - which is reason enough for collectors to want to download the (scrubbed) ISO and archive the modified ROM and not just download the SNES version.
I don't think you understand, the file in the iso is the SNES version. The only difference that the sounds are stored in a seperate file so it's easier to write an emulator. Apart from that the game is exactly the same as the SNES version so going through the rigmarole of extracting and decompressing the rom only leaves you with the original SNES rom with no audio

jaouad

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, this game doesn't work for me on my pal wii. It has been long time ago that I found issue starting a game.

Anyway, do I need to change some settings?

Jackaltyson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SMB3 has not been changed at all apart from a save system, the multiplayer Mario Bros game now on the main menu and of course, no NES graphics.
SMB2 hasn't changed either apart from the save system and no NES graphics.
SMB1 and Lost Levels haven't changed apart from floatier physics, the save system and no NES graphics.

Really, it hasn't changed much at all apart from the save system; it is just the snes game without SMW.

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
George Dawes said:
Bit for bit identical to the SNES ROM?
Nope, a couple bytes in the file descriptor and checksum have changed (wouldn't make any difference to gameplay), as I've said all the sounds have been replaced with addresses to sounds and 8 non-consecutive bytes are different in the actual file apart from that. As it's only 8 bytes it's unlikely that it could make any major change to the gameplay (You probably couldn't even change a tile with that much memory) and it's definitely not enough to add an extra content to the game so I think it's likely just to be disabling any functions that access the sound hardware to stop the game crashing without proper sound hardware emulation.

Also I am checking against the good dump, so it may be possible that it's a different rom that they use instead of that one.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
So it seems I understood perfectly.

Which is why I said "Which is reason enough for collectors to want to download the (scrubbed) ISO and archive the modified ROM and not just download the SNES version."

It's another ROM for collectors to add to the (already massive) collection of Mario All-Stars ROMS, and suggesting (the way blade did) that people who want to do that "just download the SNES version" is useless.

A .ips would be fine - but for the sake of ~20mb it is trivial to download the scrubbed iso and extract the ROM from that.

Jackaltyson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jaouad said:
I got it to work, but I don't see 25 anniversary blocks. Is that normal?

That's pre-installed on the limited edition Japanese red Wii. UK gets Donkey Kong and I don't know about USA.
The only reason for buying this is for collectors, as it comes with a soundtrack CD from SMB to SMG (not SMG2) and a booklet covering 25 years of gaming.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jackaltyson said:
jaouad said:
I got it to work, but I don't see 25 anniversary blocks. Is that normal?

That's pre-installed on the limited edition Japanese red Wii. UK gets Donkey Kong and I don't know about USA.
The only reason for buying this is for collectors, as it comes with a soundtrack CD from SMB to SMG (not SMG2) and a booklet covering 25 years of gaming.

FALSE! It has one intro song!

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Pretty poor emulation
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat